Jakes wire tighteners

Help Support CattleToday:

jj216

Reaction score
I saw these at a local store and was curious.I searched the boards and saw a few favorable post.Do yall think they'd stretch new wire .Ive got some small paddocks to build and wondered if you could use them on new fence as well as repairing.They will be runs of 500ft or less.They seem pretty easy but sometimes easy aint the best way to get it done.I usally like the daisy type strainer on short runs of high tensile and just stretch barbwire with golden rods.

Jakes will work fine on new wire, they'll even work on high tensile as long as you don;t try to stretch it C sharp tight. When I put up new fence I ge tit as tight as I can but it alwasy slips just a little bit, then I throw on a Jakes and the problems is solved. I've used it on field fence too and they work ok. The daiys will pull up more fence if it has a big sag, but the Jakes work for small sags. The deal is, you gotta either buy or make the tool to tighten them. I've used a screw driver a few times but the tightening tool is so much easier.

Thanks Dun.I probably will get some negatives on this ,but I tie knots on high tensile instead of crimping and get along fine.Do you think if I do this and pull it hand tight I could get enough wraps on the Jakes to get it tight.It seems to work withthe Daisies.I dont try to go super tight cause I'm liable to want to change the paddocks one day.If anyone else has tried the Jakes ,feel free to chime in but I think I might try em.I'll buy the tool.

I don;t crimp either, I far prefer the knot. I've never had a problem getting the fence tight enough with the Jakes, but with our terrain I have stays every hundred feet ot so, some places closer. No rule that says you can;t use more then one Jakes in a long section of fence.

Good point.Icould put one at both corner post if needed.Thanks ,your input is always valuable info I'm gonna try em.I hate asking for help wether it be a neighbor or the wife.Thats why I like the daisies but I have to order them.For some reason they are hard to find in supply stores around here.I'm really not a fan of the ratchet strainers for short runs or splicing.

Any tightener works better from the middle of a span of fence rather then the corner. I like to put them within a couple of feet of a stay, that way their weight doesn;t cause a sag in the fence.

Jakes are as handy as pockets on a shirt always have some in the fence box on the mule.
That box has any and everthing to repair a fence. Secondly ever fence line has a few post laid down by it and the end spools of wire. If a tree has fallen I don't have to go all the way back to the barn for supplies.

I agree with most eveything. One thing to note. If you overtighten the Jakes using their tool, you may injure the tool and have a darn time getting it out of the Jakes. It bends the metal "key" at the end of the tool. Now, to prevent this I just use two Jakes and tighten them to almost two tight and that works. I brought this up to our regional rep and they sent me a new and hardened tool which works much better. I don't know if all the new tools are of harder steel?

Billy

MrBilly":1z82hae2 said:
I agree with most eveything. One thing to note. If you overtighten the Jakes using their tool, you may injure the tool and have a darn time getting it out of the Jakes. It bends the metal "key" at the end of the tool. Now, to prevent this I just use two Jakes and tighten them to almost two tight and that works. I brought this up to our regional rep and they sent me a new and hardened tool which works much better. I don't know if all the new tools are of harder steel?

Billy

Mine that I've had for years must be one of the hrder ones. I've tightened them enough that the Jakes collapses and and never had a problem with it bending the tool.

I have used these for several years, and they work great. The quickest way I've found to tighten up loose wire.

Wow, another thread up from the grave.

I use ratchet strainers in all my HT fence.. don't know how the jakes look though (or not by name at least)

Looked up the price on Amazon they cost about $1.20 apiece , if you tighten a 5 wire fence that's $5.00 seems expensive to me.

cowboy43":2nqe1pxj said:
Looked up the price on Amazon they cost about $1.20 apiece , if you tighten a 5 wire fence that's $5.00 seems expensive to me.

My thoughts exactly.

dun":3uqetfq6 said:
From valleyvet they are bunch cheaper, I use them all the time for 12.5 ga high tensile, field fence and barbed wire.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... B0D0204AE5
And trust me, you don;t have anything to put them on with that is as slick as using their tool.

Which size do u use? I would like to try them on woven wire fence.

Latest posts