Ivomec vs ....

Help Support CattleToday:

actually they have disproved that theory,now they say ivomec does no more damage to the dung beetles than cydectin. the guy sho used to take care of missouri's university cattle decided worming was not worth it & quit years ago. he claimed they would always be a few cattle in the herd that would show signs that worms were bothering them, but the rest showed no signs & it was better to sell the ones that could not handle the worms on their own. & keep cattle that developed good immunity to worms

jerry27150":zg9yyv02 said:
actually they have disproved that theory,now they say ivomec does no more damage to the dung beetles than cydectin. the guy sho used to take care of missouri's university cattle decided worming was not worth it & quit years ago. he claimed they would always be a few cattle in the herd that would show signs that worms were bothering them, but the rest showed no signs & it was better to sell the ones that could not handle the worms on their own. & keep cattle that developed good immunity to worms
That good to know...

You get what you pay for, I think Ivomec is wonderful, we use it on our lactating dairy cows, it is about the only pour on that you can use on dairy animals, and 5 liters goes a long way, if you think about how well it works, how many parasites it kills and the length it kills them for there is no comparision. You may buy a cheaper product, but if it does not do the job, and you have to redo it sooner, you aren't saving any money that way either.

GMN

Dono for sure, but my vet says that ivermectin and the Tractor supply brand are the same but...ivermectin is absorbed better, so if you use the generic, up the dose a bit. I don't know if he is right or not but I do know the tractor supply brand is NOT rain fast as quick. This leads me to believe that the wormer may be the same, but it's the other ingredients that set them apart and count for the extra cost. ie. what makes it rain-fast and what contributes to it's absorbency.

We use pour on in the spring and inject-able in the fall as the winter coats can inhibit absorption.

The word I'm getting from a lot of the veterinary parasitologists is that after 25 years on the market, a lot of premises have populations of nematode parasites(worms) that are resistant to ivermectin. So...it doesn't matter what you pay for it...if it's not killing worms, you're wasting your money.
I've switched to Cydectin.

I'm still not thoroughly convinced that deworming the whole herd of adult cows is economically worthwhile; calves, yes - adult cows, I'm not so sure.

Latest posts