I've officially had it!

Help Support CattleToday:

You know, there seems to be no ideal conditions in agriculture. After the fires and drought of this year, I will find it very hard to complain about lack of rain ... but I do seem to have a short memory and apparantly a gene designed to whine. So, with time, I'll probably be there with you but for now - I'll take the rain.JMO

The Bachelor":25jx61oe said:
dun":25jx61oe said:
It's been raining off and on for the last month. Most das it's only a half in or so but a couple of days have been over 1-2 inches.

Ahhaaaa!! So thats where it went...... Now, why don't you play nice and share some with the rest of us......

You need to talk to the folks in part of KS. They'v had 21 inches in the past week and apparantly more on the way.

DiamondSCattleCo":1hb3yjd7 said:
Just out of curiosity, for you guys that have your creeks and whatnot drying up, can you not drop a well somewhere and get some water? I know its not cheap, but....

Rod

Yes, it would be possible but not practicle in this case. Don't own the parcel, not very big tract, and owners won't commit to a long term lease.

cfpinz

We got a couple of inches last October in my part of the world and it started serious raining in February. If I can remember the numbers right we've had close to thirty inches. Just poured out another two inches Friday morning.

Got my hay wrapped up last week - sure hope it wasn't too wet. Just put out $3500 worth of fertilizer on one of the coastal field that I haven't cut yet and hoping that will put me over the top for the Winter. The rain is great. Wished you folks in the middle East (USA) could get a little, though.

By the way, what's a cubit? There was this bearded feller wondering around yesterday asking everybody he could find about a cubit. :lol:

I never believed the day would come I would complain about rain until I had 6 feet of water in my basement a few calves drowned, neighbours garbage and buildings all over the land and few fences left. This year has been good. Lots of rain, only one fence taken out but we have lots of grass. Having dealt with both flood and drought I feel sorry for people on both extremes.

Dun, it finally stopped raining here yesterday morning after five days with no break. Supposedly we may get some late Wednesday again and then that's it for at least a week. We'll see. Front pasture was so flooded the cows and horses were clamoring to stay up in the working pens and it got so muddy in there they were sliding like they were on ice. The chicken coop had so much water leak in that it's like a sauna now. Everything is a muddy mess and now we've got these dang green beetles like a plague of locusts in the front of the property - and they bite!

That being said, I'll take the rain over none any day. The corn it is a-growin'!!

i wish we had rain. we are back in drought. here in southwest, ks. i dont think i have seen one sprinkler not going

we were so wet durin the winter and spring i thought for sure we'd have a wet summer too but we aint. were not in a drought or nothin, yet. if we dont get a rain next week like they're talkin the crops will start to go down hill pretty fast. they're lookin ssoo good right now. very few people irrigate here. but the few who do, got them goin.

We have been dry, dry dry, but the last two days have produced 2" of rain, including one inch in a cloudburst this morning. YES!
I still need to cull a few head, but not wholesale.

Angus Guy":1nbvpq1g said:
Dun I know you're old enough to remember 1980. I was farming outside of Moberly that year and didn't put the corn head on the combine. I think it was 30+ days of 100 degree weather with no rain. Also recall alot of people died that because of it. So with that said NO MORE WHINING. :) :)

Every fruit tree on our place died in 1980. Along with all the grass. What the drought didn't kill, the grasshoppers ate. Yes, I will remember that summer.

Latest posts