I've officially had it!

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
It's been raining off and on for the last month. Most das it's only a half in or so but a couple of days have been over 1-2 inches. For Hune we had over 8 inches, no drought here for a while. This morning I started seeing all sorts of critters parading by 2 by 2. One pair stopped and asked where the old guy with the boat is!
I hate to whine about getting too much, but it's just as bad as not getting enough.
The problem is, none of the springs that dried up over the past couple of drought years have started flowing again. That's why, even though everyone is tired of hearing it, a drought can't be broken with a particulalry wet month or year for that matter.
Even with all the rain, conventional wisdom is that we're never more then 2 weeks from the next drought bcause of what passes for soil in this area.
No I don;t want cheese with my whine!

:lol:

If they're going to give you cheese, I want some too. Its been rediculous around here this year. I dunno how many inches we've gotten, but it rains every two or three days, and not just nice little freshen things up rains, but send Noah looking for his arc type rains.

I've got one back quarter of hay that I could run boat on without any problems.

Combined with the cool evenings, we ain't got much for hay or grass this year. 3, 4 inches of grass before it started heading out. Its supposed to get hot and dry for July/August, so I may be whining in a couple months that we need moisture....

Honestly I will never complain about the rain, it just is too nice seeing green than brown anytime. It has delayed hay cutting, but it sure is great fence building weather!

Gail

GMN":1xa6lgwr said:
Honestly I will never complain about the rain, it just is too nice seeing green than brown anytime. It has delayed hay cutting, but it sure is great fence building weather!

Gail

No fence left to build, for now anyway. Spraying, more ice storm debris clenaup and timber cutting is what's on my plate. That and whining about the rain. We're no approaching 10 inches since june 1 and it doesn;t look like it's planning on stopping for a while. whine, snivel

enjoy the rain. i have had it both ways, and sure would rather have mud than dust. no significant rain in NE Ga. since maybe FEB. can't remember the last time we got more than a few tenths.

We've had plenty here in central Texas as well. Rain on and off for the past three weeks, and really unusual for this time of year. There are a lot of pastures that still have the old dried up rye grass along with the new coastal growth. THere will be a lot of hay, but a lot of it has been rained on repeatedly.

I'm not going to whine at all. I"ll suffer the mucky mud and the nasty feed pens, not to mention I can't finish mowing the front pasture or dozing out a couple of cross fences! We've been soooo dry the past two years I am totally going to enjoy this.

Dun,

Just remember what it was like when you were a kid. Ten inches is a normal January. At least it is June so you have warm rain.

Dave":22a2aocs said:
Dun,

Just remember what it was like when you were a kid. Ten inches is a normal January. At least it is June so you have warm rain.

That's true. I went out to check the cows in the different pastures and got soaked, but I sure wasn;t cold

GMN":3btuafd0 said:

Gail
gail ill differ with you on rainy weather fence building.i just got through building some fence in the mudd.an wished to thunder i hadnt done it because its so wett pulled the dang H brace out of the ground.im not griping bout the rain though.even though like dun said the hay baling is behind.only got 35 bales rolled so far this year.have 50acs to bale yet.but wont touch it till it drys up.

bigbull338":3p1amrwz said:
GMN":3p1amrwz said:

Gail
gail ill differ with you on rainy weather fence building.i just got through building some fence in the mudd.an wished to thunder i hadnt done it because its so wett pulled the dang H brace out of the ground.im not griping bout the rain though.even though like dun said the hay baling is behind.only got 35 bales rolled so far this year.have 50acs to bale yet.but wont touch it till it drys up.

Well I say we are going to build fence, just haven't gotten started yet, but I can see your point with the mud and all.

Gail

bigbull338":3h5jimuk said:
GMN":3h5jimuk said:

Gail
I quit the H braces long ago. I cement three 2 7/8 O. D. Pipe in the ground for the corners. That is one corner post and two other post in each direction the fence will go. After the concrete sets I weld cross braces between the post one close to the top and one about a foot off of the ground. I then weld bull panels to the post and cross braces. I tie the wire to the third post.

TheBullLady":1sip7kg6 said:
We've had plenty here in central Texas as well. Rain on and off for the past three weeks, and really unusual for this time of year. There are a lot of pastures that still have the old dried up rye grass along with the new coastal growth. THere will be a lot of hay, but a lot of it has been rained on repeatedly.

I'm not going to whine at all. I"ll suffer the mucky mud and the nasty feed pens, not to mention I can't finish mowing the front pasture or dozing out a couple of cross fences! We've been soooo dry the past two years I am totally going to enjoy this.
:nod: Over 35 inches ! :banana:

Same here dun, we had over 20 inches for June and our average is 3 inches. I think we have received almost half our yearly rain averages just in June.

And now it is July and rained today and fore casted for more every one of the next 5 days.

Yard can not absorb any more. Have standing water all over, even the high spots have standing water.

Corrals are a mess, only good thing is ponds and creeks are full and running, were last year with drought we could not use some pastures due to creeks being dry.

Plus killing my sons all star baseball team, they have not been able to have any practices and districts are getting close. Baseball fields have almost washed away.

30 miles on father west Coffeyville KS is under water, having evacuate the town. Roads are washing away and getting closed down all around this tri-state area.

Never been so sick of rain and mud my whole life!

Dun I know you're old enough to remember 1980. I was farming outside of Moberly that year and didn't put the corn head on the combine. I think it was 30+ days of 100 degree weather with no rain. Also recall alot of people died that because of it. So with that said NO MORE WHINING. :) :)

You guys make me sick. We had to clean out all the cattle from one farm today because the water dried up. The lease just up the road from that one has about 2 or 3 weeks worth of flow left.

cfpinz

Just out of curiosity, for you guys that have your creeks and whatnot drying up, can you not drop a well somewhere and get some water? I know its not cheap, but....

I can't imagine ever being without water. I live on a large aquifer, so even on draught years, I've got water for animals. My 60 foot, 6 inch well has a replenishment rate of 22 gal/min. Most years a 20 foot well will water any number of animals you'd want to.

Rod

Noah is alive and well, he is in South Yorkshire they have a flood, at the moment the rain here has been awful. It has rained heavily for the past week and we are still going to get it until Thursday so the forecasters say. I hate saying we have nice weather as it always turns to rain, when doing so.
doncaster_rd_360x288.jpg

this is about 175 miles away from where I live, I am in whats called the Lodon Basin, we have the Thames Barrier to hold back the water if London were to flood. not sure if it would work though. I hate loads of rain.

Im with you dun , we need some sunshine, had another inch last night, pulled into the yard and the front end of the freightliner SUNK AAARRRGGGH :mad:

dun":yfnp9n3d said:
It's been raining off and on for the last month. Most das it's only a half in or so but a couple of days have been over 1-2 inches.

Ahhaaaa!! So thats where it went...... Now, why don't you play nice and share some with the rest of us......

Latest posts