I've been busy with the pigs

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Two down four to go. I just hope I can get them done before Ramadan.
Pepperoni, kielbasa, pancetta, guanciale, pecan blues salami (my creation), capicola, and two pecan smoked sweet city hams that I'll be basting in a couple of hours.
IMG_6017.jpg

How hard was it to get the coppa right? I've read it can be hit or miss sometimes.
One day when I grow up up want to be just like you. Or at least with your skill set :mrgreen:

Yes, having a goiter and twelve toes is not something easily envied. On the coppa there are different ways to do it. One way is pretty easy and its sortof considered cheating to the purists and the other way is more difficult. I have a lot of coppa done the easy way in the freezer but when I was butchering the pigs I was intrigued by marbling in the coppa meat in the shoulder and just had to make use of it. On the right is one of the pieces I removed from the shoulder for this. Its a beautiful cut. I hope it turns out right but if not it won't be the first time I've failed. I'll know in about a month.

IMG_5974.jpg

Jogeephus":5et3oawr said:
Yes, having a goiter and twelve toes is not something easily envied. On the coppa there are different ways to do it. One way is pretty easy and its sortof considered cheating to the purists and the other way is more difficult. I have a lot of coppa done the easy way in the freezer but when I was butchering the pigs I was intrigued by marbling in the coppa meat in the shoulder and just had to make use of it. On the right is one of the pieces I removed from the shoulder for this. Its a beautiful cut. I hope it turns out right but if not it won't be the first time I've failed. I'll know in about a month.

IMG_5974.jpg

you're right about the goiter. 12 toes, might help with balance, but...shoes could be hard to find. Since my car automatically parks in front of any shoe store it sees, well...yeah, I'll pass on the 12 toes too :D

Seriously, though, that is some fine looking pork. Love the color. Are you pasturing them or is it breeding?
I've only gotten that kind of color when they're on grass.

Thank you. Peanuts, corn and a 12% feed is what they've been getting. They are crossed between a hybrid and a blue butt. Working toward breeding a fatter pig cause I'm after the back fat thickness.

Jogeephus":1icg8v0v said:
Thank you. Peanuts, corn and a 12% feed is what they've been getting. They are crossed between a hybrid and a blue butt. Working toward breeding a fatter pig cause I'm after the back fat thickness.

Try some Berkshire if you can find some. They are one of the very few hogs that have marbled fat deposits in the meat.

AI is even easier for pigs than it is for cattle. Anyone with basic livestock savy can do it with a list of instructions, a good sense of humor, and a willingness to ignore the overwhelming creep factor that it takes to get some of them to "lock down". When you consider that you wind up with an entire litter that's ready in a year for around the same cost of breeding a cow it's more cost effective as well.
Berkshires are a good choice and the old fashioned Durocs also have alot of backfat but alot of the newer durocs are bred to be lean. Find a good source and you can hand pick the sire that suits your needs.

Latest posts