IV solution question

Help Support CattleToday:

Glucose first comes to mind. Sugar water is about the same. I ahve mixed amieno acids with the glucose befor.

Scotty

I have IV'd calves with antibiotics but never for rehydration. Can someone give their input on how much, what do you give? What kind of container for the fluids do you use? How long does it take to get the right amount in the calf?

Why not check with a vet. He/she/it will probably be able to answer all of the questions

dun

For simple rehydration, Dextrose, Ringers lactate, and buffered saline in that order is what i have had recommended to me before, the company I rep for also sells a mixed solution that contains electrolites and a buffering ingredient to offset the acidosis problem for scouring animals.

Best to use a large bore needle, and go subQ. The reason is that you can actually drown an animal with too much solution straight IV, fills the heart and lungs with fluids. SubQ is a bit slower, just take it slow as well, or you will have a localized adema problem. Usually most Iv drip sets are set up for 60d per minute, and of course you can slow that down, if in doubt I would. As far as adminitering meds though the IV set, I would be cautious of that, as a "IV push or bolus" type of medication infusion may react to the fluids and gum up the works, and also depending on the type of meds, a huge amount thrust all at once may not be very good for the animal itself. This is why so many drugs are injected into the muscle, it means a slower and sustained release.

A good way to see if you have proper rehydration is to look for bright and full eyes,pull the eyelid up or pull the skin up and if it drops back into place immeditely instead ofstaying pinched or drops slowly , you are in usually good shape. Check the gums, if they are white,not pink, it may be shocky, and it may help to not only keep it warm, but add a bit of dexi to the meds as well. BUT also keep in mind that large or prolonged doses of dex. with often lead to rebound effects such as pnuemonia in a few days.

Good luck! :cboy:

One more thing, prevention is always better then a cure. Alot less stress for them and you as well.

Try to keep your calves well hydrated ORALLY, before you need to resort to IV infusions, even if that means tubing them several times a day. Just keep in mind that after several days that too runs the risk of throat swelling. But I realize that sometimes, IV is the only way we can be assured of fluid infusion.

In my opinion, and this is just MY opinion......if you plan to raise alot of bottle fed calves you should keep in your drug kit the following:

Dry or frozen colustrum

polyserum or bo-bac, or the like* maybe?

Dbl strength SMZ/trip. tabs

long acting pennicillen

nuflor

banamine

either home made or commercial electrolyte solutions. Preferable ones that contain a thickening agent of some sort.

kaolin or pepto to slow down the runs, and soothe the gut.

probios or at least real yogurt.

IF gentamicine was legal, I would have that in there as well, for oral application. even though..........I aint no scientist, so I only know this as heresay...if given orally, very little leave's the gut int othe body?.

maybe try the bleach solution recipe as well.

I'm sure that this is not really a complete list, and others may not agree with some of it either, but calf raising is as much of an art as it is a science. So every one does it differently. :cboy:

Latest posts