Coyote solution ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I guarantee you the 22-250 will take care of them ; problem is getting them in your sights . Alabama recently has past a law that you can shoot them and hogs at night . Takes a night vision scope and of course a special license.

We shoot hogs and place carcass in pasture where we can shoot them from my porch. Husband killed three last week. I trapped 7 hogs last night on old fermented corn and husband shot 2 more outside trap. Now another coyote cycle will repeat.

As to other predators, they aren't deterred by coyotes.

I can tell you from experience they take newborns. Have lost at least a dozen calves to them over the years. Kill them all as quick as possible.
I have plenty of coyotes around. I make sure cows who are close to calving are closer in with other cows on the outside pastures. I've never had a coyote bother a calf after the vulnerable calving time.
I do keep my cows and young calves in closer paddocks with other cows in surrounding pastures until the are about 3 weeks old and following and sleeping next to their moms. Never an issue except during birthing. I agree that coyotes are interested in placentas that are not eaten by the mother.

I do raise and harvest beef. I have a deeply seeded respect for all life as sacred.
I take extra care to ensure my animals are not aware and therefore not stressed that there last breath is before them.
I believe it does each of us a world of good to use what power we have to decrease the fear, pain and stress of this world.
What goes around comes around.

I trap coyotes due to them harming our sheep. Generally happens in the spring and fall.

As far as cows go I haven't had a problem YET. I do know that if a dog comes into our field the cows will flat put it on the run. My neighbor brought his pit bull with him when he came to chat one day.
I told him " I'd keep that dog up here by you" he replied "oh he will be alright"
I ended up having to get two cows off of him. They had pinned him down with their head and were trying to stomp on him.

Livestock Guard Dogs LGD's. We have great pyrenees and don't have a coyote problem with our livestock. Plenty of yotes around to serenade you but not close enough to cause worry.
All that does is run them off onto your neighbors' property.
I've never been much on making my problems someone else's problem.

Dead coyotes don't bother anyone.

Coyote are weird to hunt. They will literally sneak up right beside you. Like they tip toed to get there or flew. Most animals make some noise walking rattle leaves or some kind of sound. Coyotes like BOO I'm here!! Oh by the way I brought 40+ of my friends!
Want anymore I'll gladly send you some. 😊

When I had sheep coyotes put me out of business pretty quick. I tried electric fence, hunters and traps, guard dogs, donkeys, even a llama. Each thing worked to various degrees or until they didn't. Each had good and weak points. Lost several lambs, even a couple grown ewes. A neighbor even lost a big Suffolk ram.
It seems to come in cycles with cattle. Have lost a few calves to them, mainly heifers calves, but not always. It may be that some haven't become a problem and either start being problems or are replaced by others that are problematic. Coyotes are opportunistic and will take whatever is available, be it taking a bite out of cantaloupes or taking a calf if they can, and anything in between.

Jesus. And the 8 behind them too!
Lmao!
Got to share a story! Lol. A little old lady. was a neighbor to where we store hay. She had a couple lap dogs. It was the middle of Feb hard freeze, zero for highs for a couple weeks. I was loading hay and a big half starved coyote ran out of the barn. When I got done I stopped by the neighbors to tell her to be careful, that those little lap dogs would make a pretty good coyote snack. Her response "Should I start keeping my 300 Weatherby Magnum by the door?" She was probably 5'2" and 130lbs. I just asked if she really had one, and she assured me that she did. I told her maybe not, that was a little over kill.

I just cannot imagine my grandmother EVER shooting grandads ol 300 wby!!

Heck I'm only good for a half a dozen b4 I call it quits. 3 is better!
She new about nothing when it came to guns. She was a widow. She told me that 40+ years earlier she had bought that 300 for her husband the first Christmas after they were married. She said he had always wanted one, but after he had it he "never really shot it much" . He must have liked his shoulder more than the gun! Hahaha

Latest posts