It's ryegrass time!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39":3gsf1llu said:
cypress....,
How did you get the stand of rye grass? Drill it,sow it, sprigs, how long ago did you put it in? What is the gray stuff here and there?

Put it out with a fertilizer buggy set at about 45 lbs/ acre. One thing I didn't do completely though is clip the grass low before. My bad. Usually I clip down real low, then seed. Rain came about 4 weeks later. Then got several rains almost once a week (got lucky) Once I had a good stand, I put out ammonia nitrate at about 125 lbs/acre. It hasn't kicked in all the way. When it does, the rye will turn greener. Some people like to turn over the soil before planting or drill it in, but I've found that overseeding for ryegrass works almost as good, and it's easier. I actually spread the seed pulling the buggy with my truck; Really easy. The gray stuff is smut grass, unfortunately. I took over the pasture behind my house last year, and it has been neglected. I have a lot work to do with the grass. Always has good bermuda in the summer, but the smut grass is horrible.

Cypress, I do mine the same way, I just broadcast mine over the bahia field and I get a good stand. I only planted 4 acres this year and I put out 300 lbs of seed.

C HOLLAND":1ngxjl3y said:
Cypress, I do mine the same way, I just broadcast mine over the bahia field and I get a good stand. I only planted 4 acres this year and I put out 300 lbs of seed.

This year I tried a tetraploid variety because they are supposed to give much more yield. However, they supposedly produce so strong that you have to graze em hard or cut hay in the spring, or it will strangle out some of the summer grass. I'm gonna try to get a couple of cuttings if I can. Just don't know for sure; fertilizer is so expensive!

Cattle annie, you asked for more pics of the grass...

cattleanniegrass.jpg

Gosh, I've only got about 3 to 4 months before I can see that again!

Hey Cypress, that explains the lack of color...Keep your fingers crossed, it looks like we are going to be getting a little moisture this weekend. My rye looks green, but it is puny....Make with a bit more rain I might get some of my money back. Youll have to put up a few pics a couple of weeks from now. It should really look great by then.

For anyone who's interested, It's the cow's turn!

Their pasture of rye is finally ready, and they know what to do
cowsturn.jpg

Even the calves are interested, even though the've never seen green grass
calves.jpg

Latest posts