It's ryegrass time!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Today was a great day; the sun was shining, I had the day off, and the ryegrass was just about tall enough to let the heifers in. Pretty nice feeling to let cattle in green grass that haven't seen it in a while. They forget about everything and go to chomping. Thought I'd put a few pic's. These are a heifer group. Next week the cows get to go into their ryegrass pasture.

ryegrass3.jpg

ryegrass2.jpg

ryegrass1.jpg

cypressfarms":28kphn5o said:
Today was a great day; the sun was shining, I had the day off, and the ryegrass was just about tall enough to let the heifers in. Pretty nice feeling to let cattle in green grass that haven't seen it in a while. They forget about everything and go to chomping. Thought I'd put a few pic's. These are a heifer group. Next week the cows get to go into their ryegrass pasture.

ryegrass3.jpg

ryegrass2.jpg

ryegrass1.jpg

I wish I had some rye grass up here. All we have is snow grass!!!
Your pictures are great. Heifers look good chomping down.

Thanks lancemart,

Could you go back and edit out the pic's on your post? Having a bunch of pictures, especially repeated, takes some of the people with dial-up a long time to download.

Thanks

cypress, it looks like you may have a hermaphrodite in that heifer group in the top picture, the one on the far left. :lol: Don't get angry with me, just teasing you a little. Wish I had some of that green stuff for my gals. Nice, warm and sunny day here today as well, with a decent chance for rain on Sat. and Sunday

Arnold Ziffle":3iyui4bf said:
cypress, it looks like you may have a hermaphrodite in that heifer group in the top picture, the one on the far left. :lol: Don't get angry with me, just teasing you a little. Wish I had some of that green stuff for my gals. Nice, warm and sunny day here today as well, with a decent chance for rain on Sat. and Sunday

Whoops, forgot about that one Arnold. No hermaphrodite, just ol hatchett butt. He always seems to show up in my pics. I think he waits for me on purpose. Hatchett butt is officially off the premises February.

Wow! Great pictures. I almost forgot what grass looked like. I guess I didnt know Louisiana was that warm this time of year. Is that typical? I love Idaho but our winters last 6 months, thus cattle dont see grass.

what is that green stuff your cows are eating. I think we need to get the feds involved in this. I think you have some wierd things going on in your pasture

Cypress, looks good to me too, I am letting mine out next week on my field of rye. I always hear bad stories about bloat, so I plan to let them graze a few hours in the morning each day and pull them off when we feed them the soy pellets.????? do you leave your cows on the rye all day,,,any trouble with bloat???

C HOLLAND":1rn43ynu said:
Cypress, looks good to me too, I am letting mine out next week on my field of rye. I always hear bad stories about bloat, so I plan to let them graze a few hours in the morning each day and pull them off when we feed them the soy pellets.????? do you leave your cows on the rye all day,,,any trouble with bloat???

Letting them stay in it just a few hours will keep them from trampling it down, urinating and crapping on it too.

Good way to do it if you have time. ;-)

Mike, my wife has the time,,,if she will just stay out of the water tub,,,,the Lim/angus cross heifer pushed her in for a swim yesterday morning. I couldnt help but to LMBO when she called me and told me. I had been telling her for the last two weeks she was getting to relaxed around them. I am making her a gate that will open and close with a rope and pulley from outside the pen.

Make me envious. If it wasn't for mother nature, my critters would have had plenty of wheat and oats and green winter forage. Maybe next year.

It's so hot & humid here in the summer; I guess the winters make up for it. I wish all of the cattlemen around the gulf coast had ryegrass, but I just got lucky with the rains.

C HOLLAND,

I normally put a round bale of hay in with the cattle to help with the possibility of bloat, and also put out "bloat blocks" by the water trough. With my job, I can't really let em eat for only a few hours at a time like I would like. They'll be in the pasture with ryegrass (about 15 acres) for at least a couple of days.

Cattle annie, I'll take a close up for you. Ryegrass is always a nice pretty green; maybe because eveything else at this time is so drab.

Cypress, whens the last time you took a soil sample. You have some good growth there, but unless your cameras a bit off, that grass should be a little greener. Of course if its been standing in water that would explain it also... It is always nice to drop the ladies on a patch of ryegrass, wish we could grow the stuff year round. Good luck

we wont be turning ours in for another 3 weeks probably. its about 6 inches high now but we are going to fertilize it soon and turn them in when it gets higher. i've got some of the old cows on it now though. Last year was a great year for wheat-this year the rye is doing better. thats how it goes, whatever i plant more of the other does a lot better. Ive never had any problems with bloat from these type winter annuals. Clover is usually my bloat culprit.

houstoncutter":25saus2u said:
Cypress, whens the last time you took a soil sample. You have some good growth there, but unless your cameras a bit off, that grass should be a little greener. Of course if its been standing in water that would explain it also... It is always nice to drop the ladies on a patch of ryegrass, wish we could grow the stuff year round. Good luck

Hey Houston,

Soil samples sent to LSU last year. Waited to fertilize until I thought a rain was coming. Have ammonia nitrate on it now, and expect to darken soon, as we've had a couple of good rains on it recently.

Cypress,

Good looking grass and cattle. When I went to lunch yesterday, my landlord was cutting my yard. Not something I'm used to. My lawnmower at home won't see daylight for another 45 days or so. 8)

cypress....,
How did you get the stand of rye grass? Drill it,sow it, sprigs, how long ago did you put it in? What is the gray stuff here and there?

Latest posts