It aint often I rant

Help Support CattleToday:

warpaint

Reaction score
But after watching a certain program on tv tonight, I tried to go to bed and felt the need to get this out.

Without calling the network or for that matter the name of the show, I found it very abusing to animal breeders as a whole.

In light of the recent Derby tragedy, a certain show has decided to go after racehorse breeders.

The show depicts what happens to horses who don't fit the bill. They are sold to a buyer, who in turn sells them to the highest bidder at auction.

First, as a breeder of any animal, if it don't work for your program, you are not going to keep it in that program. If you sell, trade or kill, it's a fact, it's got to go. This applies for any breeder, be it dogs, cattle or horses.

I would also like to point out, that I love horses. I don't know of a more magnificent animal. I also love cattle, but if they don't work for me, their headed to the slaughter house. I have 2 heifers in a feed pen right now, that don't fit the bill, and eventually, they will end up on my table.

I guess it comes down to this.
If all these animal rights people, want to be vegetarians, then so be it. But, I offer them this.
Where do those veggies come from? The earth? With all those dead leaves and animals in it that gives it nutrients? HMMMM?

Domestic animals serve a purpose. In the old days horses, draft horses, oxen, and mules had a job to do to make someone a living. Anyone that watched "little house on the prairie" knows that. What people do/did when those animals couldn't work. Thats the thing.

Walt

I asked my Grandpa one time what the recipe was for salami in the old country(Italy)

He said; one old donkey, one sow, and some seasoning. Nothing subtle about that.

It was really the one-sided way this program depicted things.
Not once was anything said about the amount of pampering these animals get during their lifetime.

The problem with the far left is that they think you should just subsidize something if it does not produce. They want us to go all natural and eat like monkeys. What they fail to understand is nature is tough. In nature if you cannot fend for yourself, run faster than average, fatten quicker than most - you are going to be someone's next meal. These same people despise hunting and say its cruel. In quail, 75% of the population dies in the first year. Quail season is timed during this period to take out this surplus rather than have them starve. But I guess starvation is more humane than shooting in their minds. And the word Humane. What does that mean. It is derived from the word human. So I guess the Humane Society wants to HUMANIZE animals and give them thoughts feelings and emotions. Walt Disney has done a wonderful job teaching our children this and look now at some of Disney's policies. Coincidence. I doubt it. Animals do not have thoughts or emotions. They are controlled by instinct and basic needs. They do not think. They only react to past events. They do not have a soul or spirit. To think otherwise dehumanizes people and is unholy. Sorry for my rant and I'll shut up now.

breeding race horses an greyhounds are both in the same boat.if they dont look like or they cant run.they get sold.now that doesnt mean they are going to get put down.it just means they arnt good enough for what they are bred todo.one day those people are going to get caught in their own judgement trapp for something they like todo.

Jogeephus":jfry9qey said:
So I guess the Humane Society wants to HUMANIZE animals and give them thoughts feelings and emotions. Walt Disney has done a wonderful job teaching our children this and look now at some of Disney's policies.

I'm quoting your Disney comment because I have long had the same thought. "Bambi" went a long way toward creating the current climate of "animal rights".
The truth is I cried when Bambi's mom died. But life here on the farm soon got me past that feeling. Animals, wild or domestic, are not humans. They don't speak English. Disney painted hunters as killers, but that hunter could have been shown as feeding a human family. The hunter used human intellect to bring down an animal that is bigger, faster and tastier than the human. Impressive.

Life is tough, doesn't matter whether you are a human or an amoeba. We all start to die when we are born.
Race horses are "used", no doubt. Humans are "used", too. I'm more concerned about using humans than animals.
I won't tolerate outright cruelty. But ending up on a dinner plate is not cruelty to animals. I always say nice things about the animal I happen to be eating. That animal ate well for two years because I provided for its food, health care and happiness. The folks at the locker dispatched it painlessly. They cut it up with respect for its value. And I am happy and healthy because I ate it.
We live in a strange strange world and I feel increasingly disconnected from society. Who are these folks who would give a rat the same status as a human child? What is their problem? I just don't get it.

ITs time that the country stop letting these special interest groups run the rest of us. :x We don't have medicare for all our elderly and they are worried about a horse...

PETA had a little pitch in the Simpsons last night... :x... and I liked that show. :(

Well now folks ther are two sides to every story.

I been in the beef and dairy business for decades. I have loved horses since I was aware of em.

to me a T-bone stake and a good saddle horse are miles apart.

I am not a no slaughter guy and the current state of affairs shows that banning slaughter was not the answer and never should have been.

The problem is the disposble society mentality we have in this country. TB breeders breed for speed and speed only and it is catching up with them along with starting babies as babies and stressing the devil out of them. they forget that there has to be some bone to handle that speed and power. That filly broke down from trying to check too suddenly. i have a strong feeling about it. the jockey stood up and most likely gave a pull on the reins and the filly dropped quickly from a strong sprint to something less and the forelegs could not handle the pressure.

But until horse owners and breeders learn to act responsibly and quit the mass production of unwanted horses and the abaondonment of no longer wanted horses, it is a reality that will face us. Just look at dog and cat shelters. Only difference is that no one uses the dead dogs and cats for anything.

America has not matured past the stage of a disposable society. everything is disposable. responsibility is a fine concept as long as it suits the lifestyle. After that chuck it and move on. Heck most children are viewed that way now. How else do we explain unwed mother numbers and the divorce rate and deadbeat parents.

If our society won't take responsibility for children then it is most likely not going to take responsibility for animals.

and yet no one wants to be judgemental. There is no societal pressure on anyone to do the right thing and to take personal responsibility for anything. You do and i do and most of us do but we have got to know that we are the exception today.

97 percent of the population lives in the cities and the suburbs and most are three generations removed from the farm now. It is easy to criticize that they have feelings when they know no more of your environment than you know of theirs or vice versa.

If the thoroughbred industry cleaned up it's act a bit instead of galmorizing it for three or four big races then it would all be better. This is twice in just a couple of years where the derby horses have been involved in tragedy. The Barbaro foundation has raised a lot of money and helped a lot of horses though. but the racing business is a dirty little business full of rouges and scoundrels and they let them keep hanging around.

I am in a couple of rescue groups and all of my equines and all of my dogs are rescues of one sort or another. but breeders keep churning em out even when the market is collapsing.

Every animal i have I have taken responsibility for. I am cogitating over what is going to happen to the those that outlive me. Trying to figure out a way to provide them with a decent home after I am gone.

We have to stop giving the anti's ammo.

I guess we are slaughtering US horses at a good rate, but now the slaughter folks are complaining that horses are arriving in deploreable conditions on trucks that don't comply with Canuk regs.

I don't blame them because guess who will also be charged!

So now they are de trucking and reloading south of the border to comply.

Why not just treat them right to begin with? Because it costs more? Maybe in the short run.

Latest posts