Is this real?

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":m5wypl28 said:
https://www.safelinkwireless.com/EnrollmentPublic/home.aspx

You folks that are good at snooping things out need to let me know if this is a farce.

If kids need food, I'm all over it. But free cell phones and air time?

This has got to be a farce.

Kids? What does this have to do with kids? You're obviously just sirring the pot or you would have clicked on your own link and found this:

(My emphasis)

LIFELINE/SAFELINK FACT SHEET
There is no "Obama phone" or other newly created federal program to provide free cell phones. As you may know, this is a myth that is now circulating on the Web via email and blog sites. It has been thoroughly debunked by independent groups. (See for example: FactCheck.org at http://www.factcheck.org/2009/10/the-obama-phone/, which notes: "Low-income households have been eligible for discounted telephone service for more than a decade. But the program is funded by telecom companies, not by taxes, and the president has nothing to do with it."
The federal "Lifeline" program was created during the Reagan Administration.
Lifeline is a federal program created by the Reagan era Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 1984. The program was enhanced under Telecommunications Act of 1996, which was supported on a broadly bipartisan basis in Congress. The FCC's Low Income Program of the Universal Service Fund, which is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC), is designed to ensure that quality telecommunications services are available to low-income customers at just, reasonable, and affordable rates. Lifeline support reduces eligible low-income consumers' monthly charges for basic telephone service.
Thanks to SafeLink, Lifeline support is now available for wireless phones. Traditionally, the Lifeline program was only available as a discount on a consumer's landline telephone bill. SafeLink Wireless was created by TracFone Wireless, Inc. when the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) recently approved the company to offer Lifeline -- a public assistance program that ensures telephone service is available and affordable for low-income subscribers. SafeLink Wireless applies the Universal Service Fund subsidy to an allotment of free airtime minutes and TracFone provides the wireless handset at the company's expense. Instead of receiving a subsidized monthly telephone bill for Lifeline service, SafeLink converts the total amount of discounted service into minutes each month for one year. The cell phone offers in-demand features: voicemail, text, three-way calling, call waiting, caller ID and access to 911.
SafeLink phones are not paid for by taxpayers or the federal government. TracFone Wireless pays for the phones and also the cost of promoting its SafeLink program to make sure that eligible consumers know about the program.
SafeLink Wireless is making the vision of universal access to telecommunications services for all Americans a reality. As of October 2009, SafeLink has over 2 million customers and is available in 19 states - Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin - and the District of Columbia. Today, there are over 1,700 companies in the United States currently providing discounted telephone service. But, thanks to its extensive outreach promoting SafeLink, TracFone Wireless is one of the largest providers of Lifeline services in the United States, second only to AT&T.
Only certain Americans are eligible for SafeLink. Eligibility guidelines vary by state but in general individuals qualify if they participate in a public assistance program such as Food Stamps, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), National Free School Lunch, Federal Housing/Section 8 Assistance, or if they do not receive any of these public assistance programs, they may also qualify based on total household gross monthly income. Customers can learn more or apply by calling 1-800-SAFELINK or visiting http://www.SafeLink.com
Your exact benefits, including the number of free Minutes you will receive, depend on the state you live in.

Ya gotta watch them blogs. They'll make you look like a real fool if you believe everything you read. :roll:

Why thank ya. My blood pressure just might return to normal before the game.

Yes its real and like Frankie says the telecom company pays for it BUT ... here is a quote from the law and you can decide for yourself who eventually pays for it.

(b) The eligible telecommunications carrier may receive universal service support reimbursement for each qualifying low-income consumer served. For each consumer receiving Lifeline service, the reimbursement amount shall equal the federal support amount, including the support amount described in §54.403(c). The eligible telecommunications carrier's universal service support reimbursement shall not exceed the carrier's standard, non-Lifeline rate.

(c) In order to receive universal service support reimbursement, the eligible telecommunications carrier must keep accurate records of the revenues it forgoes in providing Lifeline in conformity with §54.401. Such records shall be kept in the form directed by the Administrator and provided to the Administrator at intervals as directed by the Administrator or as provided in this Subpart.

Edit : Reckon this is what people mean when they use the term Reaganomics?

There you go playing with my blood pressure again Jogee. See how you are!

We got hungry kids in the U.S. They should come first.

Jogeephus":2u3hwzbg said:
Yes its real and like Frankie says the telecom company pays for it BUT ... here is a quote from the law and you can decide for yourself who eventually pays for it.

(b) The eligible telecommunications carrier may receive universal service support reimbursement for each qualifying low-income consumer served. For each consumer receiving Lifeline service, the reimbursement amount shall equal the federal support amount, including the support amount described in §54.403(c). The eligible telecommunications carrier's universal service support reimbursement shall not exceed the carrier's standard, non-Lifeline rate.

(c) In order to receive universal service support reimbursement, the eligible telecommunications carrier must keep accurate records of the revenues it forgoes in providing Lifeline in conformity with §54.401. Such records shall be kept in the form directed by the Administrator and provided to the Administrator at intervals as directed by the Administrator or as provided in this Subpart.

Edit : Reckon this is what people mean when they use the term Reaganomics?

I dunno...could be...

The federal "Lifeline" program was created during the Reagan Administration. Lifeline is a federal program created by the Reagan era Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 1984. The program was enhanced under Telecommunications Act of 1996, which was supported on a broadly bipartisan basis in Congress. The FCC's Low Income Program of the Universal Service Fund, which is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC), is designed to ensure that quality telecommunications services are available to low-income customers at just, reasonable, and affordable rates. Lifeline support reduces eligible low-income consumers' monthly charges for basic telephone service.

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enroll ... efits.aspx

Alice

Did we have cell phones in '84? That was even before Fortran and Cobalt. Bailey Controls had come out with "Distributive" which was the predecessor to digital control. I was seeing the first bag phones sometime about '88 it seems.

backhoeboogie":2dmf2tls said:
Did we have cell phones in '84? That was even before Fortran and Cobalt. Bailey Controls had come out with "Distributive" which was the predecessor to digital control. I was seeing the first bag phones sometime about '88 it seems.

FCC's Low Income Program of the Universal Service Fund

must fall under this...like lots of other stuff falls under programs originated way back when. Ask the Native Americans...they can tell about those kind of "way back when" programs... :mad:

Alice

backhoeboogie":3mtaotqb said:
In the early 80s you could by a cell along the major highways in california. A cell was an area about 20 square miles. Cost 10k to buy a cell. I wonder what those are worth now with the proliferation of cell phones.

Shoot,not avalable in my area--I have the landline phone,costs 10.00$ a month..Have to have it for my Alert locket. The cell cost 20.00$ per month for the cheapest card ,and I never use many minuets..Have about 2000 min now,but feel I need the cell when I'm out in the powerchair.. I mabe use about 2 hours a month,usually a lot less. Just use the thing for safetys sake..

Latest posts