is this lump jaw or wood tongue

Help Support CattleToday:

yobie

Reaction score
Im not sure how to deal with this. Noticed a swollen ball on the lowee jaw the other day. Wwnt in to feed him lastnight and his tongue was swollen and sticking out of his mouth. Today the abcess is larger and you can tell his nose/mouth area is swollen too. It feels firm but not too hard and seems too deep to lance as of right now.

Calf is about 3 weeks old and being bottle fed. Here is a bad picture but shows the lump.

https://goo.gl/photos/ukXjxQRf8irQJ1RR8

I have tetracycline im about to givw him just wanted to check what you would do.

Does it feel like a golf ball in there? Likely lump jaw, caused by a poke from a stemmy piece of hay or something. Lots of info around the web on how to deal with it.

wbvs58":2h3kzcch said:
Well that photo shows booger all.

Ken
Heres a better photo
https://goo.gl/photos/Hsiuh7oUDL4bmxh96

It doesnt feel like a gold ball feels softer, its pretty firm but I can tell there is fluid in there.
The tounge swelling seems to of went down but the lump looks to be getting larger. I was thinkimg possible tooth as well. What would I need to do if this was the case.

jerry27150":qo7sg7dt said:
would guess abcessed tooth

Should I just lance it and drain it? Im new to raising cattle so I appreciate all the help.

calf is pretty young for wooden tongue or lumpy jaw, could it be a snake bite? if it is fluidy feeling you could try lancing but keep it as clean as you can. could try sticking a larger gauge syringe needle in it to see if you can pull anything out before making a bigger hole.

edit to add - looks like calf is taking the bottle OK, if it isn't running a fever or having other symptoms you might just leave it alone and watch for a while longer, sometimes doing nothing is better than creating a big open wound that can get really infected.

Hippie Rancher":n1pad7ms said:
calf is pretty young for wooden tongue or lumpy jaw, could it be a snake bite? if it is fluidy feeling you could try lancing but keep it as clean as you can. could try sticking a larger gauge syringe needle in it to see if you can pull anything out before making a bigger hole.

edit to add - looks like calf is taking the bottle OK, if it isn't running a fever or having other symptoms you might just leave it alone and watch for a while longer, sometimes doing nothing is better than creating a big open wound that can get really infected.

Thanks a lot for the advice. He is taking the bottle still and doesn't seem to be too affected by the swelling. I was thinking the same about it being too young as ive never seen it chew on grass or grain yet.

Ill wait it out and see. I did give it tetracycline as its obviously infected. Ill keep updating just in case it gets worse or etc. I was planning on buying larger gauge needle to see if I can get anything out of the lump.

Latest posts