Is this a sign

Help Support CattleToday:

D2Cat":dgzcejwg said:
Bright Raven":dgzcejwg said:
slick4591":dgzcejwg said:
We also call them horse apple trees, but don't know why. I've never seen a horse eat one, but I have a heifer that will bite one occasionally. When I had sows they kept them cleaned up and I've cut them in half and thrown them under the house as insect repellent. I've never seen one a large as a bowling ball tho. Ours are about softball size.

They are called hedge apples in Kentucky. Lots of people cut them in half and throw them in the crawl space under their house.

There's "wives tales" that the seeds or smell of the seeds drives bugs away. Supposedly, that's why they are put in closets, crawl spaces, etc.
Rodents love them though, so, i'm guessing its a tradeoff...

ez14.":65h5gjyy said:
cowgirl8":65h5gjyy said:
Slow. There are some fences that were built when this land was settled out of boise d arc post that are still in the gound. Last forever. People use them for foundation blocks for houses.. The trees are kind of a pain in the backside, they get thorns and also drop bowling ball sized horse apples..
There is one down the road that use to be one of the biggest in texas. One of our places has them all over it. The wood is bright yellow, very pretty and interesting grains.. We've made several things out of it... We oiled this hearth, so it darkened. It started out bright neon yellow and looked weird, so looks better dark.
a wooden hearth? Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose?
There is rock far enough out where if a coal comes out it hits the rock. BUt, occasionally, we do get one onto the wood. Never left a burn...Its so hard so even if a coal sat on it, all it would do is make a mark if anything.

The counter top guy will be here in a little bit. So, the next let down will be price, my prediction. I'm willing to pay up to 3500, and that would have to be me doing very little. I can save money by taking out the old counter top. She said, around 300... I'd almost rather do that just to keep the mess and damage down. We're working on the dining room right now too, so the house is a mess. Been cleaning the laundry room because I want to move my meat slicer into there. I only used it a couple times a year so no need for it to take up counter space. I have kind of a second kitchen in my laundry room anyway, its time I use it....So far my laundry room has been a catch all room. There is no need for that anymore, trying to downsize and not bring much else into my house.

ohiosteve":xxmweak2 said:
Workinonit Farm":xxmweak2 said:
farmerjan":xxmweak2 said:
I am going to ask a real dumb question. What is bodock? is it a local name for a type of tree? I cannot seem to associate it with any tree we have here in Va or that I was used to up north in Ct or Vt.

Jan, we don't have Bois d'ark trees here in Va. They are not in Vt or Ct either.
Around here we call them Osage orange trees. Some call them hedge apples. They are the best firewood on Earth. Tough on a chain saw but surprisingly easy to split.

Thank you Steve, I stand corrected. We DO indeed have Osage Orange here, in Va. :)

Workinonit: when I read that they were called Osage orange I was wondering. I have seen some that were called that. So I googled them and yes, they are what I have seen. A neighbor made a big wreath of them by running a wire through them and hung it on the side of their old log building. I wondered what they were good for. Are they edible? Do they smell like oranges?
Never did see them in Ct or Vt though. Didn't know the wood was so nice. They make a mess in the fall where there are a couple along the road near a farm I test.

farmerjan":2cjq4x74 said:
Workinonit: when I read that they were called Osage orange I was wondering. I have seen some that were called that. So I googled them and yes, they are what I have seen. A neighbor made a big wreath of them by running a wire through them and hung it on the side of their old log building. I wondered what they were good for. Are they edible? Do they smell like oranges?
Never did see them in Ct or Vt though. Didn't know the wood was so nice. They make a mess in the fall where there are a couple along the road near a farm I test.
No, they do not smell like oranges...Rodents love eating them, my horse loves them. Looks like they are filled with elmers glue and are terribly sticky. Taste, I cant tell you what they taste like, but no one uses them for cooking so i'm guessing they taste bad..

Too tough, fibrous, slimy and pithy to eat.
I guess, if one were absolutely starving, they could dig the seeds out and eat them.
Squirrels seem to like them.
I can tell from experience too, that it hurts to get hit in the head by one thrown in a horseapple fight.
They make sorry softballs tho, if you were poor like we were.

This is a bois d'arc counter top we made for the upstairs bathroom. I applied epoxy over it so it will keep its neon yellow color. We made the tiny little molding to go around the joints. I find it easy to work with. Now, if you try to make something from a old post, that's totally different.

Still waiting on the call with my estimate. I'm thinking the guy is experimenting on the drain boards I want so he'll know what to charge me. He's never made drain board grooves, which really scares me. He said they are skilled with a blade. Well, I don't want it to look like someone took a blade and cut lines in my counter top.... The more I think about it the more i'm thinking i'll make it of wood.

Latest posts