Is the winter of 2014 effecting your 2015 calving?

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone (more specifically those is colder climates) is or has seen any effects on this years calving season because of how rough or raw cold the winter of 2014 was? A terribly cold winter followed by a wet cold spring?
We were supposed to start seeing calves on the ground March 5th, and we've been getting calves, but it seems (so far) like they've been slow to arrive and I'm curious if it was on account of the weather we experienced in 2014. I'm wondering now looking back if maybe they were put out to pasture a little on the lean side perhaps causing them not cycle as quick as they should have. I know they were late getting to pasture just because it took so long to green up and grow enough to where the grass had some substance to it rather then water.

Last calving season we were slow to getting calves on the ground, most were born in the last half of the 3 month time period. This season we've had over 50% hit the ground in the first couple weeks..

mncowboy":7hp1rugk said:
it seems (so far) like they've been slow to arrive and I'm curious if it was on account of the weather we experienced in 2014. I'm wondering now looking back if maybe they were put out to pasture a little on the lean side perhaps causing them not cycle as quick as they should have.

Happens. Pharo would say that now you need to cull all those hard keepers - - or move back your start date to calve on grass. :nod:

Also can do the opposite by having cows move up since they calved in very good condition.

Only 3 cows on 123 to calve and those 3 are from the same sire may be a genetic problem for those 3 cows.

Had our first cow calve yesterday. 1 day early based on 283 gestation. 102 lb bull calf. We don't have many 100+ lb calves traditionally. Not sure how much blame can be put on the weather or not. Our heifers that calved last month averaged about 85lbs for calves using sires SAV Bismarck and Victor 719t. Would have anticipated those BW's a little lower as well, but have never used those sires prior to this year so nothing to compare to.

We've had a lot of really big calves this year, calves over 105 lbs, that is. 13 out of 60 so far, and usually we only have maybe 5 out of the entire herd of 160... Half out of bulls we used last year. Not sure why, it wasn't a super cold winter, like last year was. We did feed some grain bales through the winter, and the cows started winter in super condition, and are looking really good right now too.

bpwagner115":2w0woaoj said:
Had our first cow calve yesterday. 1 day early based on 283 gestation. 102 lb bull calf. We don't have many 100+ lb calves traditionally. Not sure how much blame can be put on the weather or not. Our heifers that calved last month averaged about 85lbs for calves using sires SAV Bismarck and Victor 719t. Would have anticipated those BW's a little lower as well, but have never used those sires prior to this year so nothing to compare to.
We use a lot of Bismark and Bismark sons usually run 72 to 80 lbs I'am here in SW Wi. the winter of 13-14 was horrible, we had some issues get cows to cycle last spring, I'am sure it was weather related, after the 15" of snow yesterday and last night I'am glade they got backed up just getting a good start now we'r 21 days behind , usually are going on the 1st of March , last winter was a B...H, it was hard on me and the cows, this last one was no walk in the park either just started later this yr is all.

Latest posts