Is she more fertile when she is milking?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunny Do Ranch

Reaction score
We were talking to a Jersey breeder about one of our jersey's and she said to not stop milking her until she is bred. Is this just because they want to get as much milk out of them as they can or are they more fertile when they are milking? She calved in August 2007 and didn't get bred back because she got milk fever really bad and wasn't in great shape. I haven't seen her cycling yet and was thinking about breeding her AI but I think if she ever does start cycling to just put her in with the bull.
Any ideas? :lol:

The higher the production the harder it is to breed them back . You really need to stick the groceries to them . Also a lot of dairy cows once pregnant go down in production. Had a few that you could always tell they were bred two weeks after AI'ing because there production would go down about ten percent.

I would stop milking her if she is not cycling ;and if she dose not come into heat in a month or two do a GNRH and prostaglandin induced cycle. Also, to dry her up after the last milking put a product like cefi - dry in each quarter to ensure that she dries up and does not get mastitis again.
Once she starts cycling put her with a calving ease bull and don't waste money on AI she probably won't take it ;it is best to let a good fertile bull do his job. You can AI next time.

Latest posts