Is My Horse To Old

Help Support CattleToday:

sexycowgirl869

Reaction score
Hi i have gotten a new horse but she is not trained to do cutting and she is 11 years old is she too old to start training her to do cutting i also would like her to do brake away roping. if she is not to old can you give me tips on how to train her. she dose western plesure, & halter. also she is 2 eyed jack granddauhter if that helps at all. thanks :roll:

As far as cutting, I think I would take it slow and see how she does. While 11 is certainly not ancient or even over the hill really, at that age it's possible for her to be a little less surefooted and stumble or possibly even fall with the action required for cutting. Her legs and joints may not be as strong a younger horses are, also. Again, the action required may take a higher toll on her than a younger horse.

As far as break away roping, I don't have a clue. I'm not a roper so I cannot even suggest what to look for or expect.

msscamp":38odfhzb said:
As far as cutting, I think I would take it slow and see how she does. While 11 is certainly not ancient or even over the hill really. Her legs and joints may not be as strong a younger horses are, also. Again, the action required may take a higher toll on her than a younger horse.

Couldn't agree more, cutting is petty much a young horse game, in my opinion, I'm sure there are a good number of older cutting horses out there, but I've seen plenty of laid up young cutting horses. Take her slow and try some other gaming events that move a little slower than break away roping, such as team penning. Not as much explosion out of the shute. She should be fine for roping, but let her show you what she's got and what areas she needs help in (joints).

Two Eyed Jack was a great all around horse, your lucky to have his blood so close. What other lines does she have?

JMO
Alan

one zippo pinebar and on that side i think one more two eyed jack. But i have ridden her in western plesure and have won and got about 500$ in one show so i was thinking of breeding her to 5 a jacks a buckskin two eyed jack i think greatgrandson and use the money for the stud but it's all about the fact do i want to breed her agein. i would use the foal for my rodeo. but thats a whole year she has been bred 3 times how old will she be when i can't breed her anymore. Never any problums with birth. most of the time she did it in like 5 min they seid and out in the pasture. so she is vary good with foaling.

sexy ,your horse is not to old to start roping on but cutting might be more trouble than its worth at her age. She should be ok to breed up in to her 20's.

Alpine is one of my favorite places in texas don't you just love it. Nothing like a cold drink at the Crystal.......

Good luck with your mare all the Zippo's I have ridden have been great.

PT3

Latest posts