Is it too late? And how to manage?

Help Support CattleToday:

dimka1980

Reaction score
Hi fellows,

I have a question, well maybe few questions for the board. I think I might be running late with the AI for my first-calf heifers, they way things are, I should be able to AI them around 10-15 of September. With bull following after a week or so. I plan to use 7+7 synch protocol. Here are few things I am concern with:
Still I have a couple of heifers did not deliver, eventhough can be any day now. Most of the calves were born May 17th-June 31. Some in July. So I plan to do a ultrasound check prior to start the protocol.
Calving in June, they should have plenty of time on fresh grass next year, but short period for new calves to grow prior to winter.

What are some of the things I should be prepared myself for this winter and next year?

Thanks

2021 calving was May 17 - July 15.
2022 calving will start June 20 (283 days)

The heifers that did not deliver.... If those heifers are close to calving (springing), they will appear large and may show growth in their udders. If you sleeved the heifers you might be able to feel the calf. Is there a possibility the heifers were recently bred? Then I would ultrasound them. Heifers that are open, and did not produce a calf this year, would be fattened for cull.

I have a Fall calving group. I think they do okay in Winter. Cattle have sheds with cornstalk bedding to get out of the weather. The calves nurse and eat creep feed. They all eat bales of hay. Cows will eat more food during the winter. A cow is feeding herself and eating to make milk for the calf.

Keep your calving window on schedule. When it slips it is hard to go back. Heifers that calve now will be able to breed back in 60 days. And calving July 30 2022 into August. You will be stretching the calving window.

Very hard to get a big group bred in this area in September with the grass going backwards now. I think we are likely closer to your climate than any on here. Make sure you feed them this winter or things will be worse next calving.

Very hard to get a big group bred in this area in September with the grass going backwards now. I think we are likely closer to your climate than any on here. Make sure you feed them this winter or things will be worse next calving.
Thanks. I agree, grass still good, and we still have warm weather...as for feeding, I decided and made about 180 bales of wrapped baleage. Think to add baleage to hay about end of Feburary or so. I had to wait that long for AI due to few things: delay of CIDR, lack of people and also, I had most of the heifers deliver in June-July so I figure that AI them in September should be too bad, plus I plan to AI about 25 heads.

what protocol did you use on the heifers that did or are about to calf? seems like a long calving window for first calf heifers. seems like the late first calf heifers will always be late calving and will leave the herd sooner that the early ones. have the heifers been vet checked to insure all are currently cycling? even the CIDRs will not start heifers cycling if they are not mature enough. the newborn calves will need some type of protection from the winter elements if you have cold and windy winters. the older, the better they can adapt to the weather.

what protocol did you use on the heifers that did or are about to calf? seems like a long calving window for first calf heifers. seems like the late first calf heifers will always be late calving and will leave the herd sooner that the early ones. have the heifers been vet checked to insure all are currently cycling? even the CIDRs will not start heifers cycling if they are not mature enough. the newborn calves will need some type of protection from the winter elements if you have cold and windy winters. the older, the better they can adapt to the weather.
I did not do AI on heifers, just 2 bulls for 35 heifers...this year I want to try AI after the ultrasound...but observing them, I can tell that most of them are cycling

Latest posts