Is it possible to build your own headgates/squeeze?

Help Support CattleToday:

Diehard40":1wx9shfw said:
i've heard this question before.
when you start looking at the cost of materials + labor (yes your time is worth something) + safety, then often times you come out better just buying a system.

How can something stronger than what Preifert builds be less safe? I have had two vets make offers to buy my system.

I built one that is modeled after the ones we used at the AI school I went to. It is made out of well casing pipe. It will hold 2 cows at once. has sheetmetal covering the area around the head and a chain that lays on the ground and is pulled up once the cow is in to hold her. no squeeze, no head catch and in the dark. http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/resmgmt/publis ... 5-00.pdfem calm and quiet with minimal stress.
Mine isn't on an angle like that just side by side. But it gives you an Idea of how its set up. My rear doors swing the same way to give you access into the cow, once in the chute.

Years ago we built a wooden headgate. It worked fine for several years. My job as a kid was to pull the rope and get a hitch on it. We did everthing except AI. It lasted until a really big bull tore it off the post and went across the pasture with it on his head. We then bought one of them new fangled metal headgates. It also lasted sever years befor finall rusting out. Now I use a full squeeze chute and wander how we ever got by without it.

You can build one just as effective as one you buy. What you have to figure out is it worth your time. Steel is high right now and they are buying in large quantity and getting big discounts. Building a single chute will not get you a break in material. You'd also have to look into what style chute/headgate you'd want and copy the design. Before I bought mine, I even went to the point of putting sketches together, designing locks, etc. Then I put a pencil to it and figured I'd be building it for about $150 less than I could buy it. I figured I had better things (like building the alley, etc) to spend my time on and just spent the money. I figured it'd take me most of my spare time for a month to build a good squeeze chute.

What you decide is up to you. You know what materials are available to you at reasonable cost, what you have around, what you can get for free and what kind of spare time you have to devote.

What ever you decide, good luck.

preston39":10cjiabo said:
hersh,

We thought of buying a used squeeze shute a few years ago and found a better solution. Cheaper to.

We purchased an RAU animal immobolizer 2000 unit which works well with a standard headgate. The animal remains docile and after any procedure, appears calm as if nothing ever happened. With AI you just make sure the latex is kept between the arm and the unit.

http://www.igd-usa.com/Immobilizer%20Image.htm

Sorry forgot one;

http://www.cattleimmobilizer.com/howworks.htm

hersh":2hyrfvc3 said:
Those things are pricey. If I am going to AI I need some facility(I can borrow my neighbors) but has anyone built their own? I know they didnt always have these pretty powder coated tubed headgates. What they use back in oldtimes?

Just look around, I bought my headgate for 300 used.
Design of the working pens is more important than a chute.
We AI about 25 a year.
All the heifers and the top end cows and the headgate is more than enough. Build your alleys strong and high.
you will be fine.

MD

Latest posts