IS HAY REALLY TOO HIGH?

Help Support CattleToday:

What I can't figure is how people around here often advertise hay the size I make for fifteen dollars a roll. Granted, it may be junk, but it still costs to roll it up. If any good at all I'm thinking I'm foolish not buying it and putting it back. If you can keep it dry you can't have too much.

Caustic said it in one of his earlier posts. You only have control in your costs, not what you get out of it (he was talking about cattle in that post). People advertise their hay for 15 dollars because they would rather have the 15 than to have 0 when the hay has rotted. It still boils down to what someone is willing to pay. You can only pay a certain amount for hay to feed cows. It is a shame, but it costs more to produce a good bale of hay than what people can pay in most years. March and April are the best times to buy hay, here, because you can buy good hay, dirt cheap because people need money or are afraid they won't get anything for the hay next year. With today's good, tight balers and netwrap, hay keeps very well for a few years.

Latest posts