Irrigating from a pond, no electricity

Help Support CattleToday:

Oregon Rob

Reaction score
Could use some advice. I'm looking for a small, gas powered pump to run one or two sprinklers to pump out of a small, spring fed pond that we have. I have about 5 acres of land (with a pond next to it) and want to get some water on but there is no electric service close. I can't guess the inflow but the pond is always at about the same level +/- a foot so I think it gets up to a point and probably leaks out.
Looking for recommendations for a small gasoline pump that will run a couple sprinklers. I would imagine I would just start the pump and let it run until it runs out of fuel.
Harbor freight has this one… http://www.harborfreight.com/15-79cc-1- ... 69747.html
Is anyone using this one or have a different thought?
Any thoughts on what sprinkler heads are best in this kind of situation?

I used a Pacer pump (similiar to your link) for about 4 years to draw water from 1 1/4" shallow well. Works very well for watering cows at remote location with no electric. A full tank of fuel won't last you but about an hour maybe (depending on how hard it has to work to lift the water from pond). I'm not sure how well it would sustain pressure over watering a 5 acre pasture through a couple sprinklers. Are you thinking of under ground piping and pop up sprinklers? Or running garden hose to typical lawn sprinklers?

good price. Agree with Kingfisher above, but you should closely read the customer feedback, especially the lowest rating, which I copied for you.

"They don't seem to be standard tapered pipe thread.
If you're going to sell a pump that takes parts that can't be sourced with a trip to a hardware store to connect it up; why are they not included?

Before you buy, try to find the 1" straight thread hose adapter & gasket.
Dealing with eternal leaks trying to use this with commonly available fittings.
"

You might need those odd fitting couplings... :)

I wouldn't restrict the flow and put undue pressure on the water seal, waste fuel and lose gpm
For 5 acres I'd come right out the pump with a 2" line and flood irrigate it

Edit
Buy a Banjo or Pacer pump
2" pipe thread in and out
You can get them in, Honda, B&S and a copy cat Honda
Something that's proven and can get parts for

Sounds like we both have water problems but I don't have a pond.

I studied some pumps last year and if I remember right some reviews said they had British pipe threads and lots of leak problems too.
Water hose threads are different than pipe threads but look the same.

As far as crappy fitting threads, if you take a 1" galv pipe coupling and very carefully get it started on first thread (keep it straight), you can "cut" those existing threads into standard iron pipe threading by turning the coupling 5-6 times. Unscrew it and put a 1" brass coupling on it with t-tape and some Rector-seal. Works like a charm.
But if it was me, I would do what Cross suggested with 2" Pacer transfer pump and flood it...just move outlet hose around every once in a while.

Some good thoughts.. I can figure out the thread thing. Not sure how well the flood thing would work out on a field that has some slope to it. I hadn't really thought about the over pressure thing but I could put a gauge near the outlet and throttle the pump back to so that it's not overpressureing. If I get the psi maxed from ¾ to full throttle I could drop just below that until the gauge drops 5-10 psi…

I have two, 2 inch pumps both have pacer pumps. One has a Honda,one has a bs on it. The Honda runs so much smoother. Both are less than a yaer old. I think it takes 28,500 gallons of water to equal a inch of rain on a acre. Buy the biggest pump you can afford.

Banjo/Pacer style 2" centrifugal pump flow chart
Being centrifugal it doesn't build a lot of pressure and cuts into the gpm

Kingfisher":1k56paa4 said:
I would think 5 acres on a slope would be better/easier to flood irrigate...

The same thought crossed my mind too.
I've thought about free flowing down the grade and let gravity take it as far as it will after cutting furrows for the water to soak in.
My son suggested doing it right before and after dark to get more benefit without evaporating in direct sun and heat.
I know for sure my garden watering is doing wonders for the grass and weeds.

Yea you flood irrigate you going to see things you ain't even imagined. It's good you have that opportunity. You just need to think thru it and grow something that will respond to irrigation. Can you grow Alfalfa there?

Lots of Alfalfa grown here. Wasn't sure what would be best for pasture grass. Can you overseed with Alfalfa? right now it's mostly volunteer grasses and weeds.

It also depends how far the run of output hose is going to be. When I first built my house in 2009, I was concerned about ruining my new well, and tried running a 2" hose from my pond using a 3x2 portable pump at the pond, to a pvc manifold at my yard about 300' feet away. I put 4 garden faucets on the manifold to water my new seeded lawn. I had only enough pressure and flow at wide open rpm to run one rainbird type sprinkler and even that was a not much more than peein. Open ended, the end of the 2" hose put out a lot of water, but not enough pressure most of the time to ratchet the rainbird sprinkler head around. It would run for about an hour on a tank of gas.

Latest posts