Iowa -vs- New Orleans

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred

Reaction score
• Why aren't all of the Hollywood celebrities holding telethons and asking for help in restoring Iowa and helping the folks affected by the floods?
• Why isn't the media asking the tough questions about why the federal government hasn't solved the problem?
• Where are all the FEMA trucks and trailers?
• Why isn't the Federal Government relocating Iowa people to free hotels in Chicago?
• When will Spike Lee say that the Federal Government blew up the levees that failed in Des Moines?
• Where is Sean Penn in his rescue boat and the Dixie Chicks?
• Where are all the 24/7 lurid news tales of cannibalism and unnecessary drownings?
• Why did Iowans evacuate so prematurely; why are they not holed up in deathtrap sports centers?
• Where are all the looters stealing high-end tennis shoes and big screen television sets?
• When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants to rebuild a 'vanilla' Iowa, because that's the way God wants it?
• Where are the people declaring that George Bush hates white, rural people?
• Why are the Iowans not complaining more and demanding to be saved?
• How come in about 2 weeks, you will never hear about the Iowa flooding ever again?

Deep thoughts...

Good post.

Wonder if they are planning to conficate all the guns like they did in Nawlins?

Wonder if they'll burn and riot because FEMA is bringing them travel trailers for temp housing?

If gimme-gimme-gimmes' of Katrina wasn't a wake up call to the U.S. citizens about the direction this country is going, there is no hope left..........

Is the "Calvary" in Iowa yet? :roll: :roll: :roll:

TexasBred":bp1g8hvz said:
• Why aren't all of the Hollywood celebrities holding telethons and asking for help in restoring Iowa and helping the folks affected by the floods?
• Why isn't the media asking the tough questions about why the federal government hasn't solved the problem?
• Where are all the FEMA trucks and trailers?
• Why isn't the Federal Government relocating Iowa people to free hotels in Chicago?
• When will Spike Lee say that the Federal Government blew up the levees that failed in Des Moines?
• Where is Sean Penn in his rescue boat and the Dixie Chicks?
• Where are all the 24/7 lurid news tales of cannibalism and unnecessary drownings?
• Why did Iowans evacuate so prematurely; why are they not holed up in deathtrap sports centers?
• Where are all the looters stealing high-end tennis shoes and big screen television sets?
• When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants to rebuild a 'vanilla' Iowa, because that's the way God wants it?
• Where are the people declaring that George Bush hates white, rural people?
• Why are the Iowans not complaining more and demanding to be saved?
• How come in about 2 weeks, you will never hear about the Iowa flooding ever again?

Deep thoughts...

Good post!! Sadly I think we already know the answers to all of your questions. :roll:

I was just thinking the same things myself this weekend. I know that there are a lot of folks out there who are helping, but it just doens't seem to have the same urgency as Katrina did. Kinda like all the other people effected by Katrina and Rita who are still trying to get their lives back on track, but who never got the media attention.

Yes, I think we know why.

I recently purchased some furniture that was meant for FEMA housing and was never used. It wasn't bad stuff. Clayton had it sitting around. Of course, the feds hadn't purchased it yet, so it was fair game. I got a whole apartment of it for cheap, for my son. It's cheapie stuff, but good enough for a boy's first place.

I don't see anyone scampering to get FEMA housing out to Iowa and other places flooded. Have not heard Steve talking about orders. Of course, there are thousands of those trailers still out in, where it is? Hope Arkansas? I am sure that if you need a place to stay, it wouldn't be so bad. Beats living in a tent.

Talked to the BIL over the weekend and he said Iowa City was under water.

Was watching the news on the flooding. I think the best guy they interviewed said he came out to help his neighbors because they needed it. All the folks that headed out to those areas needing help should be given just reconition for their time and support. :tiphat:

backhoeboogie":2xxnddis said:
Why do people build towns, or even just a house, on the flood plains to start with?

Boogie...I've always wondered myself...or buy ocean front property, built a monster house, and you'll never convince them that hurricanes do come thru occasionally and they don't discriminate.

TexasBred":3m0wrpa1 said:
backhoeboogie":3m0wrpa1 said:
Why do people build towns, or even just a house, on the flood plains to start with?

Boogie...I've always wondered myself...or buy ocean front property, built a monster house, and you'll never convince them that hurricanes do come thru occasionally and they don't discriminate.

It's a 500 yr flood! Lots of stuff is flooded that wouldn't be touched in a lesser flood.

It's a 500 yr flood! Lots of stuff is flooded that wouldn't be touched in a lesser flood.[/quote]

Except for the last 500 yr flood in 1997. Sometimes it's just plain bad luck.

3waycross":3tssdmdx said:
john250":3tssdmdx said:
It's a 500 yr flood! Lots of stuff is flooded that wouldn't be touched in a lesser flood.

Except for the last 500 yr flood in 1997. Sometimes it's just plain bad luck.

Looking at the history, it seems they get a 500 year flood about every 8 years. We get one every 5 years. The other 4 years are 100 year droughts.

I remember reading about the Watcher, the Dreamer, and the Sleeper in the Nederlands geography study as a child. When I see a levee, that comes to mind.

Why do they call it a flood plain again?

All I have to do is get the cows off of mine and to replace the fences after the debris takes it.

Just to give some recognition, TARGET-Chip Gannassi Racing and driver Dan Weldon donated their winnings from the Iowa Speedway race yesterday to the Red Cross in Iowa. I forget the exact amount, but is was several dollars.

john250":3pi01bqx said:
Just to give some recognition, TARGET-Chip Gannassi Racing and driver Dan Weldon donated their winnings from the Iowa Speedway race yesterday to the Red Cross in Iowa. I forget the exact amount, but is was several dollars.

Good for them. I also heard Tony Stewart was donating his Nascar winnings from yesterday's race to the Red Cross or a similiar group.

Latest posts