Introducing Cattle From New Hampshire

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Been lurking here for almost 2 years and I thought it was time to jump in.

I am JB Moore and I am one of the founding members of the
Rainbow Valley Cattle Co in New Hampshire.
Rainbow Valley is a very diverse, creative, forage based multiple breed operation.
Leased land is shared with 6 other beef producers. We share in all the tasks needed to keep the growing herd safe and healthy. There are monthly family pot luck get togethers where we make lists of what needs to be done and who is going to lead those tasks.
We all have used equipment that we combine to do the needed haying and logging. When we needed a baler we all pitched in and bought a used one. Much more affordable divided by 6. None of us would of been able to lease this property or afford to do the fencing, haying, building repairs etc, alone.
Open land is hard to find in NH as most of it is forested. This huge piece of acerage is on the river side of the state and it has alot of fertile bottomland in this lush valley. Having lots of mountain streams that run year round throughout the property is also a big asset, especially 2 years ago in the drought.
I have 3 months off during the summer so I park my little trailer in the field and camp out with the herd most weeks. Only one building has electricity and I am currently borrowing another cattlemans laptop computer to get a lot of work done.

For extra income we also board cattle for the summer months and we are also considering doing some shares in the near future since we have been approached by a very interested individual. We also "rent" some cows and calves out for the summer to people who want their fields to be grazed down, as well as for "cow patty contests." We have recently gained alot of interest in raising water buffalo replacement heifers for the unusual water buffalo dairy in Vermont. Meat goats are also being considered on a larger scale since they seem to be a very high value item. All monies made on our "side projects" are put into the general farm fund for repairs, equipment, etc and it is working out very very well. We have each already been reimbursed for the baler we bought, most of the fencing and one vet bill.

The 6 of us and our 6 large families all come from different backgrounds, different states and different countries. We all met at the grain store and at various cattle events over the years. This is a very diverse group of ideas, colors and management practices.
Our weaned calves, heifers and steers are all sold privately.
Since we raise all natural grass fed beef, demand is now higher than our supply.
Several of our cull cows were also sold privately and ground into hamburg for large families. We rarely ship anything, however we do love to go to the auctions and look at cattle and chat with everyone. Our quality cattle are every color, combo and breed. Since most of our kids are in FFA or 4 H we give generous discounts to kids in those organizations who buy calves from us. Word is spreading like wildfire.

Seeing all the probable start up costs from the most recent posters inspired me to officially join so I could explain another way of being in the cattle business without losing your a$$.

Oh yes, I have always enjoyed seeing the pictures of various cattle, inventions and equipment that folks post here. It is what makes the conversations even more exciting. When my very helpful cattle neighbor "across the river" ( VT ) shows me how to use a digital camera, I will be posting some photos from this part of the world. Have a safe and glorious July 4th weekend.

Sounds a little too eutopian for my taste.

But, welcome to the boards.

Welcome aboard. I admire your ability to work so well together. I dont work that well with others. I guess I am kind of a loner and one of the things I like best about my cattle operation is the fact that I make my own decisions and get to see the results wheter they are good or bad.

Sounds like a very interesting enterprise you have going. Welcome to the boards! Always a pleasure to hear anothers point of view.

After reading about your operation, my first thought was the same as denogs. I would think it would be hard to have that many people, especially as diversified as they seem to be, to agree on any one practice or decision. But it sounds like you're getting it done!

There is a large group of Menonite's in a close town, and they have the same approach. They run a large dairy, auto parts store, bakery, and make gazebos and yard furniture. It seems to work well for them also.

welcome to the boards friend!! I am interested in knowing what all breeds of cows you are raising. Are they just all kinds of cows used in a commercial operation or are you all running individial purebred herds of the different breeds?

One of the advantages of so many working/thinking together is that we sure do make less bad decisions and instead make alot more of the good decisions, in a shorter time, and get to see the positive results $ooner.

One of the disadvantages is that none of us live on the property.
We all live distances away in other towns and states. Some are trying to move closer. I also need to say that in actuality all 12 adults own cattle in the main herd.

And those cattle are as varied as the families that own them.

Let me try to list them all:

Devons, Shorthorns, several Belted Galloways ( one red ),

Many Herefords, Angus, Simmentals, Charolais and all their respective crosses.

Several coyote proof Scottish Highlanders and Longhorns

A few Brahman and F1 cross cows from Texas ( ex PBR brought them with him )

An Ayrshire, a Guernsey a VT Linebacker and an extra large Red Holstein ( our nanny cows ) These particular 4 are a triple purpose animal. We breed them to beef bulls and we put up to 3 other calves on them as well. They also are the cows that go to the cow patty contests, weddings and to educational exhibits. Several families use the milk to make cheese, ice cream, cottage cheese, yogurt etc and we still have surplus to feed the pigs. These flexable cows make the most $$ for their owners.

There are a few discreet Limos, Pinzgauers, Beefalos & Gelbviehs as well. Most are registered with their respective associations.
I feel like I may have forgot a few... but I think you get the general idea:

6 familes came with cows they had bought, bred, won ( poker ) traded for or inherited over their lifetime.
Different circumstances of economics and encroching urbanites caused all of us to lose our original farm properties and former longterm leases. Rather than sell off decades of great genetics, we were each determined to find another way to keep the lifestyle, the livestock and the independance that we each cherished. Not easy to do.

I hope I have answered your questions.

Does anyone else have an usual way they chose in order to remain in the cattle business ?

do you AI all the cows in every breed to there specific breed? For example do you AI the Shorthorns to Shorthorn bulls? The devon cows to Devon bulls or do you AI all the cows to the same breed?

We use several options.
Selected individuals are AI'd to their own breed.
There are already deposits on next years calves.
A few are trucked to other farms to be bred to other bulls.
The majority last year were separated into different pastures and bred to bulls of different breeds.
Each owner makes the decisions for their own cattle and how they want them bred.

As I mentioned earlier that one of the disadvantages is that none of us live on the property. ( yet ) Makes it very difficult to do heat detection accurately so we can AI more of the cows. It has improved, but not yet where we want it. It is one of the goals, and one of the reasons I am camped out here several days a week so I can identify the cows that are in heat. It wasn't too bad until recently-- but I think those Brahmans brought them Texas sized mosquitos with em! Anyone got a sure fire-healthy way-- to keep them giant flesh eating bugs off of me ?

I like your whole operation scenario it seems really interesting and diversified.

JB, welcome and thank you for sharing your very unique and interesting way of your group being able to stay in the cattle business and at the same time, encourage others (4-H, FFA,etc) to participate in the cattle experience and enjoy the outdoors living. I am afraid that my experience with having to make changes on the farm is not nearly as exciting as yours. Just the basic family history of droughts, grasshoppers, price crashes, interest rates skyrocketing, losing most everything, taking jobs in town to keep what we could and building back with low investment, lower risk exposure to those things that were so painful in the process. I wish your group continued success and look forward to hearing more about your venture.

Rainbow Valley Cattle Co":qwn82vm7 said:
One of the advantages of so many working/thinking together is that we sure do make less bad decisions and instead make alot more of the good decisions, in a shorter time, and get to see the positive results $ooner.

One of the disadvantages is that none of us live on the property.
We all live distances away in other towns and states. Some are trying to move closer. I also need to say that in actuality all 12 adults own cattle in the main herd.

And those cattle are as varied as the families that own them.

Let me try to list them all:
Welcome aboard from Littly Rhody

Devons, Shorthorns, several Belted Galloways ( one red ),

Many Herefords, Angus, Simmentals, Charolais and all their respective crosses.

Several coyote proof Scottish Highlanders and Longhorns

A few Brahman and F1 cross cows from Texas ( ex PBR brought them with him )

An Ayrshire, a Guernsey a VT Linebacker and an extra large Red Holstein ( our nanny cows ) These particular 4 are a triple purpose animal. We breed them to beef bulls and we put up to 3 other calves on them as well. They also are the cows that go to the cow patty contests, weddings and to educational exhibits. Several families use the milk to make cheese, ice cream, cottage cheese, yogurt etc and we still have surplus to feed the pigs. These flexable cows make the most $$ for their owners.

There are a few discreet Limos, Pinzgauers, Beefalos & Gelbviehs as well. Most are registered with their respective associations.
I feel like I may have forgot a few... but I think you get the general idea:

6 familes came with cows they had bought, bred, won ( poker ) traded for or inherited over their lifetime.
Different circumstances of economics and encroching urbanites caused all of us to lose our original farm properties and former longterm leases. Rather than sell off decades of great genetics, we were each determined to find another way to keep the lifestyle, the livestock and the independance that we each cherished. Not easy to do.

I hope I have answered your questions.

Does anyone else have an usual way they chose in order to remain in the cattle business ?

Latest posts