International Brahman Show

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
Tomorrow starts the Houston Livestock Show, and the International Brahman Show. Ill be there with my bull. Anyone else gonna be there this week? FYI, female show is Friday, bull show is Saturday. Read in the paper today that there are over a thousand Brahman entries this year, from everywhere anywhere near. My first time even seeing the Brahman show here, Im pretty excited about it. Cant wait until I load up in the morning and hit that 15 minute drive to Reliant Center (I live a couple miles from the show). Anyone else gonna be around this week?

TCB.. yes, I was there yesterday. The TSSA sale was last night, and had to show up for the presale festivities!

Saw your bull, he's nice! You'll no doubt run into the same situation you found in Ft. Worth, but PLEASE remember to have FUN while you're there, and enjoy talking to people that stop by. (Although I don't need to tell you Brahman folks aren't the most sociable, some of the smaller breeders will actually give you the time of day)

Nothing is more fun than Houston! :cboy:

I definately am not here to win. I am there for a couple reasons though. To show (I love to show, nothing I like to do more), to meet lots of people, and go heifer shopping. I am expecting the show to be just like the others, except worse. Tomorrow I find out how many in my class, I know Ive seen at least one of the same bulls I have been showing against.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":12fklbxk said:
I definately am not here to win. I am there for a couple reasons though. To show (I love to show, nothing I like to do more), to meet lots of people, and go heifer shopping.

sounds like all good reasons to be there. good luck.

Good Luck from a Brahman breeder in Australia.
Yes some of the higher profile people are up themselves. You often get more response from smaller breeders. Often they are the ones with the best cattle. Just enjoy yourself and your bull.
Let us know how you go at the show. I'd love to be there.

Colin
Coliana Brahmans
Tenterfield NSW Australia

Where you not invited to attend? I have seen lots of people from all over wearing tags that say "International Guest". I dont know what the credentials are to get that, but I have seen several people from Australia over the last few days.

I definately start with the smaller breeders. They are the ones who care about helping a kid out instead of just making a sale. I dont expect some deal where they wont make anything, but not as much as the big guys want. Plus with the big breeders, you never know if the DOB on the papers is actually the right date. Could be months off.

TCB.. take my advice, don't trust ANYONE'S DOB on the papers. It's one of the "issues" the show board has vowed to "look into" this year, but it will take an act of Congress to get anything changed. It's a blasted shame that the association is run the way it is. A few big breeders make all the rules. I can't tell you how many people I've met over the years that join with high expectations, and leave in bewilderment.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

And here is the results. For me, 3rd in my class, for the third time in a row (in both San Antonio and Fort Worth) I cant seem to get away from those 3s, third place, class 33, every show. Anyways, bull acted up a little bit, but I guess he just was having one of those days. Im happy with it though.

As for the rest of the show, it goes like this.

Grand Champion Red Female: VL Elena 60/2 of Santa Elena Ranch
Reserve Champion Red Female: SRS Ms. Lucy 795 of Swaner Brahmans
Grand Champion Gray Female: Ms V8 228/6 owned by 4-H member Courtni Munson
Reserve Champion Gray Female: Ms V8 209/6 of V8 Ranch

I will post the bulls as soon as I find the names. I was a little surprised at the results, everyone always told me that Houston would be the most political and the major ranches are the only ones that ever win. A 4-H member winning Grand Champion was unusual to me, guess it shows that kids are capable of competing with major ranches.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":1tn0nlwa said:
And here is the results. For me, 3rd in my class, for the third time in a row (in both San Antonio and Fort Worth) I cant seem to get away from those 3s, third place, class 33, every show. Anyways, bull acted up a little bit, but I guess he just was having one of those days. Im happy with it though.

congrats on the 3rd place finish.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":1tn0nlwa said:
Grand Champion Gray Female: Ms V8 228/6 owned by 4-H member Courtni Munson

I was a little surprised at the results, everyone always told me that Houston would be the most political and the major ranches are the only ones that ever win. A 4-H member winning Grand Champion was unusual to me, guess it shows that kids are capable of competing with major ranches.

didn't that 4-H heifer have a V8 brand? :roll: that would probably be almost as good as having Jim Williams at the head.

Yeah, it was a V8 heifer. Guess I didnt think about that. I guess the big difference is that the 4-H heifer was so much gentler and calmer than the V8 ones. Most of the V8 cattle Jim Williams was showing, and they acted up a little, he smacked them in the nose with that show stick. After that, they went crazy. Ive always been told you never hit a Brahman, especially on the nose, and that seems to be all the ranchers do, then the animals start acting up.

Congrats on your placement Txcountryboy.

Like txag suggested, that V8 brand probably didn't hurt in the female competition. I see that Courtni also won the 2005 Ft. Worth show with 228/6. And she got reserve champ with 228/6 at the 2004 Kickoff Classic Open Show. I don't see anything to the effect that she is blood related to the Williams or Forgasons (or Hudgins), but she's on the V8 Junior Show Team, whatever that means or entails! (see pictures, etc. on the V8 website under Junior Spotlight)

I think that the "V8 Junior Show Team" is just the kids that V8 Ranch sells the animals to. A way for V8 to keep their name involved even though they dont own the animals anymore.

Thanks everyone, for all the congrats that you all gave me. As soon as I rest up a little bit from the long week Ill try to find some current pics of my bull.

I got a couple pics up of my bull.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/alb ... m?num=6038

One of them is a pic we took of me and my bull in front of the Houston banner (my mom snuck it in when the photographers were taking them). The other is of me in the showring. Can ya see the size difference? Those bulls are supposedly only a month apart in age. Anyways, not a big deal to me anymore. Was the first show, but Ive gotten used to it already. Let me know what ya think of the bull.

txcountryboybull.jpg
[/img]

good looking bull, never mentioned that we owned 1/2 of a passport son not too long ago. Actually still own part of him but he is back at HK. Sold all his daughter except one, have a bull calf out of her and our 40/2 son that we really like.

Your bull looks like he has a nice topline and good hindquarters, appears to walk easily and has a good sheath.

Thanks, yes, he is a half Passport calf. One of the few Ive seen on the show circuit. Dont see many with HK bloodlines in them. The guy I got mine from was actually the only person with a full HK heifer showing in America. I know Dinah only sells heifers to foreign countries, but the family went looking at HK, and one of the heifers and the families kid just bonded instantly. For some reason Dinah agreed to sell it to them. Only full blooded HK calf sold in America. They had so many people dying to know how they got a HK heifer. Anyways, Ive drifted off topic here. I am really happy with what I got. The family I got him from only uses HK semen to AI their heifers

cherokee, do you show your animals?

I am curious though, how did HK get so famous if they dont show any animals and dont sell in the US?

They sell in the US, I have known other people who have shown HK heifers, they just don't like to sell heifers for the purpose of showing. They like to keep their cattle a little more 'real' such as not overfed which can hamper future breeding performance. And we would have bought 100% of the Passport son if we could have afforded the price, we only bought half.

They got famous because of the Millionaire bull. He or his sire's bloodline is in just about every red herd here and worldwide. Even though they don't show their bulls they eventually achieve Register of Renown status due to people showing their calves. For instance Magnum was never shown and he is a Register of Renown bull with at least one Register of Renown son.

Latest posts