Interesting rodeo

Help Support CattleToday:

I've tranked more than I care to share. Some options:

1. She runs off to thicket, and lays down. Hog tie her, and drag her out on a car hood, ground slide.

2. She falls asleep in the field. Back trailer up to her, and put a no choke rope on her and wait for her to start waking up. Then load herike any wild cow.

3. She never quit goes down, hopefully she slowed enough to heel. Don't ever cut the wind off to a tranquilized cow. Then load, when she wakes up.

Bigfoot":2h5houx7 said:
I've tranked more than I care to share. Some options:

1. She runs off to thicket, and lays down. Hog tie her, and drag her out on a car hood, ground slide.

2. She falls asleep in the field. Back trailer up to her, and put a no choke rope on her and wait for her to start waking up. Then load herike any wild cow.

3. She never quit goes down, hopefully she slowed enough to heel. Don't ever cut the wind off to a tranquilized cow. Then load, when she wakes up.
Car hood. Dang good idea! Sounds like it's best to let her wake up before loading her then.

Yes. I wouldn't even try to load her while she is groggy. You can make a rope at home that will work. Cut the honda off a burnt up head or heel rope. You could also use the tail I guess. Put a really good rope clamp on the rope. Then weld two nuts together side by side. Tie a pineapple not through one nut, and slide the other nut down the rope. The cow will have a lasso around its neck, the only difference is, the nut will get to the rope clamp, and stop. That way you won't cut her wind off all together. Gotta make your best guess where to put the rope clam. I'm not home to measure mine. I have 3 one for cows, one for calves, and one for bulls. DO NOT PUT A HALTER ON HER. Pita to remove. She'll be out for blood when she completely wakes up.

dieselbeef":1evzdd7u said:
kinda like a hog snare then?

Sord of. It's pretty critical not to choke out a cow on rompun. If she's got horns, your in luck. If not better have a plan.

My prefered method for anything big that I have to rope is one leg up over the hock. That way if they want to walk just give them slack but if they want to fight an easy tug takes all of their power away. You also have some steering ability. You lose the ability to drag them into a trailer but I've never had one NOT want to hop in once they figured out that they were powerless.

All this cow pony needs is a saddle. Cowboy up.

fitz

donkey1.jpg

Well, Murphy's law struck this morning. I drive over there with 2 rolls of hay and a bag of cubes to calm them back down. No trailer, no help...etc. No 4 wheeler. Just the truck. What do you think happened? Yep. Drive in they're all within 1/4 mile of the catch field. Every single one follows me into the cath field where I drop the hay and cubes. Including the crazy one.
I'll see if I replicate that next week. Except I'll have a trailer outside of their view and 2 riders again.
I'm beginning to think someone's runnin them on a 4 wheeler. There's 6 adjoining houses and each one has a gate to the property.

a game camera by the gates perhaps?

I have had a couple that could have used the tranq gun here, but they're pretty much all gone now *whew*.. The only one left is one that took a ride one time to the vet to get dehorned... and she remembers that crowding pen and what happened the last time she was in there... she'll bust it to bits if you put her in it, but she's calm otherwise.

As for chaining gates.. don't chain the gates of the people you trust, and just chain the rest long enough for the witch to settle down

I've found that sometimes when i have a smallish place where the cattle are, they'll be far more scared of challenging a little white wire than a big fence panel.. 2 people can hold a good length of wire and move them with it.

Hope your next attempt works for you :)

If you have a creep feeder it would be a good time to use it for the calves. Get the calves to using the creep and put panels around it.
That will help you get the calves caught then you only have to deal with the cow.

Latest posts