Interesting thing I learned last night

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
We are known in this part of the state as being a predominate cow/calf area. Most people around her run commercial cows and a bull or two, and wean right on the trailer, never knowing how their calves perform compared to their contemporaries. Our extension agent is trying to get cattle owners to think a little differently about marketing calves, so they tried something new a few years ago. They encouraged breeders to put together 5 steers to send to a feedlot and do a field study on the gains and carcass values, so the breeders can see just how their calves are performing at the other end. Each year, it has grown. Last year, they invited the public to see the calves before they headed to Iowa to be fed out, and invited the public back to evaluate the data collected after the steers were harvested. The last three years (since its inception), I have attended the finale only because it was at the same time as our cattlemens' meeting. I decided this year I wanted to learn a little about it. Once again the public was invited to come and learn, so I took a few people with me and headed to Joplin Stockyards where the steers were all sent to start the process. The evening started with a free rib eye steak, baked beans, potato salad, cookies and tea. Then we all sat in the room and watched as each group of steers, 9 in total, were brought in and evaluated by 3 "professionals". The first was the USDA inspector, who gave us the grade on each group of calves, telling us about frame score and muscle score. Then he put a value on the group (high was $1.69 and lowest was $1.54). The next two guys were custom order buyers, and told the public what they looked at when they had a few seconds to evaluate a group of calves and what they would pay. Here is what surprised me; they look for cattle that are gaunt, and thin! They explained that they have more room to make money on that type of cattle, because they are not paying $1.69 for fill or water. They do not want skinny cattle, just green and empty. We almost NEVER send calves to the sale barn, our numbers are just too small and we take a major hit for having one or two head of steers. So this was very foreign to me, because when ever I have taken a steer or heifer to the sale, I made sure they were fat and happy thinking that is what the buyer was looking for! Shocker for me.
Of the nine groups, three were groups of steers from AI sires, all of which were the most uniform and best quality. The funny thing is, they did not tell you what the blend of the group was genetically until AFTER each professional talked about the group, then the extension agent told the public who owned that group of steers, the average weight of the group (with the range from high to low), the genetic make up of the group, and whether they were AI sired or not. The end point they tried to drive home was the consistency of the AI groups, and the tight windows in age of those groups. For those wondering, the calves ranged from the high 400 pound range to a few in the low 700 pound range. The age ranged from early Feb to late March. For me, I thought the calves were light for their age compared to our cattle at home, but most of the steers were mixed (except two groups were registered angus steers) and ours are purebred.
Anyway, I learned that it is not a good thing to take a calf to the sale full of feed, and fleshy. That is the opposite of what they guys said they were looking for. I am looking forward to June when we reconvene, have another rib eye dinner, and look over the data results. :nod:

what you learned is what ive always liked to take to the sale.an thats what i called dryed out calves ready tobe worked an put on feed.now they may not bring top dollar but i know they are dryed out.

Our Virginia BCIA has been doing this for quite a few years.....I would say nearly twenty years....
I have sent cattle several times....and the program is usually pretty well participated in....
we have never to my knowledge had any formal programs or results events....
I always got a full report of all the cattle that went in terms of gain and grade and yield etc....
My cattle did well and never embarassed me and most earned choice or better with several going prime and CAB.
I would have probably sent more if the intake times had better aligned with my production cycle....I did not have room to hold significant numbers of calves until fall shipment.

actually what the order buyers was talking about is compensatory gain a calf that weighs 525Lbs with a 575 to 600lb calf for one reason that calf will not shrink as much as a full calf so therefore he isn't losing money out of the back end of the calf from the get go

also it takes very little feed or grass to put that weight back on that calf so he can get more lbs of gain for less $ where as a full fleshed out calf is more likely to lose a decent amount of his flush because of stress and shrinkage
also a full calf will usually stress more than a thinner calf plus a thinner calf will usually go to feed better where as a fuller calf will go off of feed because of the stress

Some folks just can't ever understand that most of the time feed lots make there money putting weight on cattle, not butchering them. They seldom want the 1200 steer that is ready for cutting.

Here, order buyers want hard calved, calves with hard bodies.
They also prefer weaned calves. Weaned will not shrink as much as soft calves. Some say it costs them 30 days buying wet calves.

I learned this next little trick from an old cattle gent.
When you sell your herd bull that has been in pasture and has a large grass belly, gain him up.
The term "gain him up" confused me and I finally asked. His reply was to put the bull in a lot by himself for a day with nothing but water. The bull would pace and the belly would shrink. He would lose some poo weight but he would look fit and bring more per pound.
I tried it and it worked. My bull brought more per pound than any bull at the sale.

T/S,
It's a mispronunciation of 'gaunt', as in, 'He was all gainted up" (or ganted). You missed the 't' in the old-timer's 'gaint him up'.
Took me a while to catch on to some of those colloquialisms, when I moved from the more genteel south Alabama to the southern middle TN/north AL area ;>) - and, again, when we made the move to KY.

I don't know why, but it's so hard to get some people to understand this. I have a friend who's been in the cattle business his entire life, runs 100 momma cows. I haul his calves to the sale for him, almost always on sale day, and for at least two years, every time I'd get there to pick them up he'd just have put fresh grain out for them - he'd ask me to let them eat first. They're not big framed cattle and always fleshy, and filling them up just makes it that much worse. Even though he was always disappointed at the price per pound they brought, it took me forever to convince him that having them fat and filling them was costing him. I think he's slowly coming around - at least he doesn't try to fill them the morning of the sale anymore.

Maybe even harder is to convince people how much selling fleshy, unweaned calves costs them. When the market's hot (like it is here right now), harder unweaned calves will still sell pretty well, but the fat ones get beat up every time. So many producers can't see the differences, but you can bet that order buyers can - so can the experienced stocker guys (and gals) that buy for themselves.

Some of the highest price per pound calves I've ever hauled in was a set I'd have been ashamed of if they'd been mine. They were 9-10 month old calves that weighed 350-400 lbs. They actually did have some frame, and weren't quite as skinny as you might think. Buyers went nuts for 'em.

FS
This always blew my mind too...
I'm so used to DM cross that I like to see them round all the way through.
But DM is also a different story.
I wouldn't want to see them gaunt.
They look awful that way because their body still has the muscle, but you can see them bony. It's weird and I don't like it. My cow gets pretty thin when she is feeding a calf, but she bred now, so at least it didn't affect her that way.

:D
It just goes against conventional "thinking" to look out at a pen or pasture of animals and see them thinner--or 'empty'. Makes us think we are doing something wrong, and a lot of people go with pushing heavier fuller animals to sale, believing they make up the dock at the scale end.
(just pulling numbers out of thin air for illustration purposes here)
600 lbs at $1.50/lb=$900.
800 lbs at $1.40=$1120.
But that only works if there is nothing extra spent getting the additional 200 lbs on the animal.