Interesting rodeo

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
The crazy tiger stipe has struck again. Out of the 8 calves left, we got 2 with 2 riders and me on the quad. Because she took off with them into the thickest stuff she could find. Once they ran we only saw them once again. After looking for 2 hours we called it and hauled the 2 in. The plans now are either to put some dogs on her, or shoot her. After that the calves should be easy.
Now here's the thing. This has got me seriously looking into a horse now. Dogging those 2 calves was fun, but if I had a free hand to throw I could have gotten one myself. As it was all I could do was run patterns with the horses keepin the calf out of the trees until they got a rope on it.
The guy said he'll sell tht horse for 1700. It's full cow broke and 5 years old. I don't know nothing about horses besides a little riding in my earlier years, and I don't know what a good cutting horse goes for.
As for what he charged, he asked for 50 bucks, and it was an hour drive. I gave him 120

Good possibility, that's not a finished horse at 5 years old, but the price sounds good. Dogs should be able to get those cattle where they can be roped "depending on how thick your thickets are". I wouldn't shoot the cow just yet, but it is a means to an end. As you know, she is probably the root of your problem any way.
I think horses, go hand in hand with cattle. I know most here don't use horses on their cattle. I personally don't think I could raise cattle with out horses.

From what he said, we were really doing something when just my wife, dead eye andyself got as many calves caught as we did. Now, there are still the 4 bull calfs to catch up, and I'll be glad when they are and the brahma from he77 is caught up.
Bigfoot what are some things I should look for or ask about the horse? I'm still up in the air as this is the only property we would really need one on, but at the same time I could just hire it out when I need more than what we have. I keep going back and forth on it

If your not a horse person, I definatly wouldn't start with a 5 year old. An aged horse, that's been there, and done it all would be a good starting point. Used to be lots of good rope horse down in Florida, and south Alabama. I'm not trying to turn you off, on the young horse. He may be a poisonous arrow, and worth every penny. You just normally don't think of starting with a young horse.

A horse is a good tool. I've started fall calving. Been busy all week, and didn't tag band or vaccinate any. Be no way for me to run week old calves down on foot. Saturday, my kids pasture roped 8 or 10 for me to work. It's slick, it's easy, and it works. I pull in on the 4 wheeler, and do the work.

It would be a lot cheaper in the long run to just hire the horses when needed. Up keep on a horse can get expensive quick. On the other hand horses can be a fun recreation also and deadeye is the age where he would probably love a horse. He might even get serious about roping. Two horses are better than one in my opinion. I get bored riding by myself. When I quit roping I didn't hardly ever ride so I sold my horses.

I have gotten to where I analyze purchases on one qualification only; Is it worth it to me in the long run? For instance, I sold my backhoe cause I only used it once every couple years. But, I still had to maintain it, keep it greased, run it a bit to keep seals from drying out, takes up barn space, everyone wants to borrow it.......... I can rent one for $250 a day and not have all the headaches. A horse falls into that category. When you need one, you REALLY need one. But when you don't need one, you still have one. It needs fed, exercised, and worked. This guy came and helped you out for $120, pretty cheap. If a guy WANTS a horse and enjoys it,....that's another story.

Hire it out, feed, farrier and vet bills will eat you up. Plus dead eye and the wife might want one so they can ride along. I know some fellers in Lake Wales that might catch her on halves if it gets that far. Your just so far away from them it might not be worth it. What kind of cowboys give up on catching a cow? She must be a fun one.

Fun isn't the word for her. The angry side of me says I could drop her, field dress her and put her in the walk in to age up. Then grind every last bit of her except the straps. And sell the grind easy as snot and come out money ahead. But, the thinking side of me says send the dogs first

If you keep shoes on one, and feed em right, each horse you own will cost you about $1200 a year. It will also consume the pasture use of atleast 3 cows. Shoes may not be necessary in Florida, idk. I had the vet come work on the teeth of 4 horse back in September, the bill ended up $1100.

Bigfoot":2fjej0hv said:
If you keep shoes on one, and feed em right, each horse you own will cost you about $1200 a year. It will also consume the pasture use of atleast 3 cows. Shoes may not be necessary in Florida, idk. I had the vet come work on the teeth of 4 horse back in September, the bill ended up $1100.
Yeah, I don't need one that bad. Not yet anyway.

hook you dont want a cow pony.reason being you know nothing much about horses.a cow horse that knows its stuff will dump you as soon as it gets on a cow.the dogs may not be able to get the cow and calves out of the brush.

This horse is 10. It's roped off of almost Dailey, and gets hauled frequently. I wouldn't consider it finished enough to rope a 1200 pound wild cow out in a pasture.

I may get the best of both worlds though too. Next time we go out, I'm going to ride him. I may be able to just have them bring an extra horse when I need their help. I know how to ride, and I've been tossed a few times too. The horses we rode back in Arizona were trained to respond to using our knees as much as the reins. Last time I rode though was at my friends farm in Missouri about 8 years ago. He stuck me with the horse that hadn't been worked in awhile and that horse got to bucking on me. Tuck and roll. Got him settled back down and straightened out and he didn't give me anymore problems after that

A lot depends on the country you operate on. A good horse can be a necessity as well as a pleasure. I like the quiet of a horse and in a tight spot having a second brain working with is a asset to !!! Mel

If you get your cattle used to being worked horseback you can avoid quite a few problems with rank cows in the first place. If they can't get away to begin with then they never learn to act that way.

No disrespect, but buying a horse and dabbing a loop on a wild 1200# cow is a bad idea
Getting loop on ain't a problem now after you get the loop on is where the fun starts
You better have someone there you can trust to get another loop on gm her or you're liable have her in your lap

Now you're saying buy the horse and rope some calves and so on I'm with you on that

It's only a cow and probably doesn't have any horns either. I've seen you wearing a cowboy hat Hook. Might as well go all in, just have someone taking a video. :D