Interesting color on this calf

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
The sire of this calf was a Reg angus Bull out of the frontier line. The cow is a commercial that last year had a black with white face calf. I don't have the pedigree on the cow. First calf I have had of this color.
261nus8.jpg

I have ne just like it that is 3/4 simmy and 1/8 charolais and 1/8 angus. The ones I have had in the past turned black as they get older.

Real pretty! I sure wouldn't mind if it stayed that color. The black pigmentation tells me that it will probably turn black.

A very pretty calf, but she will probably turn black as she gets older. But with prices like they are now, color doesn't matter. I am just thankful to have a calf to sell.

It'll be black when it sheds baby hair.
The Angus sire is likely homo black; the dam is black with no evidence of color dilution. Really, it HAS to be black.

I've got lots of gray/brown/charcoal cows & calves here, due to the Simmental color dilution gene, still persisting from bulls used back in the 1980s.

This is why some of you think my calves are a box of crayons. Until most of mine shed off, they are all different shades of this. Sometimes they will even look red. Of course since i'm supposedly suppose to take advice here, someone ask this question..... :lol2:

Lucky_P":2hjy9v6f said:
It'll be black when it sheds baby hair.
The Angus sire is likely homo black; the dam is black with no evidence of color dilution. Really, it HAS to be black.

I've got lots of gray/brown/charcoal cows & calves here, due to the Simmental color dilution gene, still persisting from bulls used back in the 1980s.

I have experienced the same. Have two here now.
That is a nice calf. I'm going to go the other way on this one. I don't think she'll turn black. She may darken with age. I have a lot born brown and by weaning are shedding out to solid black.

fitz

Cowgirl, it's not your dark colored calves that look like crayons to me. Using cross bred bulls on cross bred cows will not produce consistent results.

She will become black when she gets older. And no she doesn't have a dilute gene so she won't become grey when she gets older.

This calf is just starting to shed, you can see the black around his face on his new summer hair..

cowgirl8":21rscpwr said:
This is why some of you think my calves are a box of crayons. Until most of mine shed off, they are all different shades of this. Sometimes they will even look red. Of course since i'm supposedly suppose to take advice here, someone ask this question..... :lol2:
:roll: Actually, they were talking about spotted calves you have, hence the calves are a box of crayons and no the spotted calves cannot shed their spots and become full black.

Taurus":2ae3x1uf said:
cowgirl8":2ae3x1uf said:
:roll: Actually, they were talking about spotted calves you have, hence the calves are a box of crayons and no the spotted calves cannot shed their spots and become full black.
Well only a retard would think that. But i dont believe i've ever opened a box of black and white crayons....and if you describe a truck, you dont call it black and chrome.. I think some of those posters who started that box of crayons didnt know that those calves were black, obviously if this calf can be called a interesting color .... ;-) :? I think that someone PMed a few and said those are black, so then it was turned on me that i thought the white would turn black.....it was all pretty stupid. Then i see this post, AH HA they did think those calves were different colors...lol

ANAZAZI":286nql9x said:
Brindle is an interesting colour. When you get one, please post it. :cowboy:
Love the brindles. My fav bull is brindle but usually throws blacks. Occasionally i get brindle. I have one first calving heifer who is brindle, and 2 babies that are, both heifers. If we keep heifers i'll keep them. This one will be pretty dark when she's full grown, they usually look almost black..

This is the older one before weaning..She's making an awesome cow. They darken up but you can see the stripes..

cowgirl8":1duc5k4j said:
ANAZAZI":1duc5k4j said:
Brindle is an interesting colour. When you get one, please post it. :cowboy:
Love the brindles. My fav bull is brindle but usually throws blacks. Occasionally i get brindle. I have one first calving heifer who is brindle, and 2 babies that are, both heifers. If we keep heifers i'll keep them. This one will be pretty dark when she's full grown, they usually look almost black..
I rest my case.....

Latest posts