Insulation question?????

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
My day to start threads I guess. I need to insulate the ceiling in this space. It is basically a room inside my horse barn. The rafters are not 16' apart. They are actually random distances apart. I have some old rusty tin, that I will be using for a ceiling. Bats don't seem like a good choice considering the random spacing. Will I need a vapor barrier?

I'd say yes.

What is your spacing? You could get various sizes, 14 1/2" to 24". Cut it to fit, use fall off to fill gaps. Might take a little head scratching....especially when the itch starts. :lol:

What kind of heat and how warm do you like it? I would use 24 inch non faced rolls. You can cut to size and fill holes with the rest. Ventless propane gives off humidity. That is why heat source is important.

1982vett said:
I'd say yes.

What is your spacing? You could get various sizes, 14 1/2" to 24". Cut it to fit, use fall off to fill gaps. Might take a little head scratching....especially when the itch starts. :lol:

Spacing random, but what your suggesting would work.

circlebllc said:
What kind of heat and how warm do you like it? I would use 24 inch non faced rolls. You can cut to size and fill holes with the rest. Ventless propane gives off humidity. That is why heat source is important.

I'm not cold natured. I think I'll use a little ceramic heater I already have. The little window unit ac struggles.

Bigfoot said:
sstterry said:

Supposed to be, but I have doubts.
My son's Eagle Project was dealing with a historic Cemetary in our area and mapping all of the Civil War Graves and building a kiosk so the public could find the graves with a short bio on the ones we had information about.

While we were working on it, my father told me that he had traded my Great Great Grandfather's civil war sword for a buggy harness when he was a teen. I contacted the guy he traded it to, but sadly it had been traded away over 60 years ago.

Pole barn insulation will work good. Just make the sheets the size needed and attach. This stuff is designed and engineered to handle the moisture/sweat from the metal. That AC might keep the horse cool and comfortable while watching TV with this in.

981e5223ad5142dc63f4789afb768d7f.jpg

sstterry said:
Bigfoot said:
sstterry said:

Supposed to be, but I have doubts.
My son's Eagle Project was dealing with a historic Cemetary in our area and mapping all of the Civil War Graves and building a kiosk so the public could find the graves with a short bio on the ones we had information about.

While we were working on it, my father told me that he had traded my Great Great Grandfather's civil war sword for a buggy harness when he was a teen. I contacted the guy he traded it to, but sadly it had been traded away over 60 years ago.

Neat project.

jltrent said:
Pole barn insulation will work good. Just make the sheets the size needed and attach. This stuff is designed and engineered to handle the moisture/sweat from the metal. That AC might keep the horse cool and comfortable while watching TV with this in.

981e5223ad5142dc63f4789afb768d7f.jpg

Great idea.

Use the spray in foam if you really want it air tight and the greatest R value. You will not have to do anything but write the check.

Spray foam. You can't even compare the two as there is nothing similar about them. For that small of a ceiling you can buy kits at all the box stores. Lowes, menards, depot all have em. Around $300. Really not much to it, I've even done it in a belly crawl house foundation. Spray it right on the roof tin, then it will give you extra time to get the ceiling on. :banana:

This space is actually just my tack room. I recently retired, and hate running in and out of the house. I take lunch in here, cool down on an as needed basis, make calls, and write sermons etc. The little air conditioner does good. I'd like to have the insulation squared away before I switch to heat. No practical way to insulate the walls, unless I stud up beside of whats there, and insulate that.

Fiberglass is the poorest choice you could make, from an energy-efficiency, comfort, and fire-safety standpoint. Cellulose or foam are well worth any extra expense. You can DIY both.

We closed in two 12x12 stalls in our barn to make a tackroom. Had wet-blown cellulose blown in walls, and put loose cellulose in overhead. Stays comfy year 'round...don't even have AC in there, and one of those little oil-filled radiator heaters on lowest setting keeps it warm all winter.

Latest posts