Input on a possible trade

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know the market in your area, but here you would be coming out on the short end. Compare the markets in your area to be sure.

2/B or not 2/B":3e4rjboi said:
Thank you, both. I should post the cattle too, but ugh it's a pain. Some were posted in another thread but I haven't uploaded all of the pics. Maybe later.

Yes, he has the trailer listed at $2,750 and I was thinking it's probably a $2,500 trailer. He's offering $500 cash on top of that.
Keep the best cow and push him to $750.00 cash and it's a deal :) What year is the trailer?

larryshoat":1u56o48q said:
I agree with those that say sell the cattle then go buy the trailer. Just an opinion, you probably ain't gonna get killed either way.

Larry
ditto that i'd personally be a little hesitant to part with that RA heifer.....

That RA heifer is a looker, no doubt. She's high headed though and gets it from her mama. We have one cow that literally walks up to the chute, waits for you to open the gate, gets in and then waits for you to squeeze her in. I know that's not really normal, but I'd like to get there someday. That heifer was the last one left in the pen yesterday, just like her ma when we work the cows.

I have all kinds of offers on the table now. Kingfisher, I made your offer to the guy with the trailer :lol: He prolly won't take it, but if he does I might keep the RA heifer. He's in line behind a family that wants all of them though. They especially want the shorthorns for their daughters. This is a nice family referred by a friend and the price for the group would be $3,800. If we sold them at auction, there would be over $200 hauling, commission and fees. I'll be happy if the family takes them. If they don't, there are 7 other people waiting to haggle.

5Q05P05S63m73o83labakd9a91728815f168c.jpg

5Z45X65S03n13pe3o4bak3f0f607bfdcd1881.jpg

Some time has passed and we sold our group of cattle for more than the value of the trade. Using some of that money, we bought the trailer today after seeing it in person. It's in great shape and seems durable and well made. Good wood floor, mats, new tires, working lights, double axle, electric breaks. Just a nice little trailer. I know it isn't a heavy duty bad*** trailer, but it will get light, occasional use and be parked under cover as it has been all these years. I did some research and decided it was priced reasonably for our area. Other parts of the country, apparently you can get one for a steal. I did get him to come down a little, as well as deliver from 1.5 hours away.

Can't wait to use it. Any tips are welcome. I know to keep it clean and protected from the weather. Other tips for using it and storing it? Other than renting, this is our first stock trailer and I'm thrilled not to be without our own hauling now.

2/B or not 2/B":1hvixrqd said:

Some time has passed and we sold our group of cattle for more than the value of the trade. Using some of that money, we bought the trailer today after seeing it in person. It's in great shape and seems durable and well made. Good wood floor, mats, new tires, working lights, double axle, electric breaks. Just a nice little trailer. I know it isn't a heavy duty bad*** trailer, but it will get light, occasional use and be parked under cover as it has been all these years. I did some research and decided it was priced reasonably for our area. Other parts of the country, apparently you can get one for a steal. I did get him to come down a little, as well as deliver from 1.5 hours away.

Figured your cattle were probably worth more than the small stock trailer. But trailer looks good, and I think you did good, 2/B!

Can't wait to use it. Any tips are welcome. I know to keep it clean and protected from the weather. Other tips for using it and storing it? Other than renting, this is our first stock trailer and I'm thrilled not to be without our own hauling now.

2/B or not 2/B":30zf38vi said:

You did good :clap:

You did do well! It is better to store inside or under a cover, but that always isn't an option for many. Keep the roof waxed and be sure to pull the mats and wash it in between use.

If it has a wooden floor, my suggestion is to periodically pull the mats after using so that the floor can dry or leave the mats out and only put them in when using the trailer.

Did you pull them and check the floor yet?

I think that a trailer is one of the most important pieces of equipment that a livestock owner can have, regardless of species. Congratulations on your new wheels.

Make sure you keep the hinges, gates, etc.. lubed. There's nothing worse than needing that sliding gate opened in a hurry and it hangs up on you. Looks like you did very well.

hey, thanks. Yeah we pulled the mats. Wood floor is in good condition and I'll be sure to pull them whenever it gets wet. I WD40'd everything until my husband took the can away! The roof could use some wax, but that looks like a tricky job for someone with real long arms! There is no rust where the frame touches the roof or sides, but there is some on the scuffs and random scratches.

Agh come on......at least tell us what that red cow brought! :) I'm happy your happy with your trading. I like your trailer!

Latest posts