Injuries in shooting at Northern Illinois University

Help Support CattleToday:

onecowfarms1

Reaction score
this is really getting out of hand !!!! i am just about ready to pull my kids out of grade school and home school them :mad:
DEKALB, Ill. -- A gunman opened fire in a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University today, injuring several people and sending students screaming and fleeing, authorities said.
"It has been confirmed that there has been a shooting on campus and several people have been taken away by ambulance," officials said in a message posted on the school's Web site.

University Police posted a message on the site by 4:14 p.m. saying the gunman was "no longer a threat" and "the immediate danger has passed."

The Kishwaukee Community Hospital's Web site said that up to 15 victims — three to four with head wounds — were arriving at that hospital this afternoon.

The apparent shooter, a white man with a pistol and shotgun, was reported dead some time after the campus was locked down, around 3:20 p.m. DeKalb County Sheriff Roger Scott told the Chicago Tribune it is possible the gunman took his own life.

A statement posted at 3:50 p.m. on the NIU website said "several" people had been taken away by ambulance.

At 4:14 p.m., NIU said: "Campus police report that the immediate danger has passed. The gunman is no longer a threat. The DeKalb campus is closed tomorrow. Students can go to any residence hall for counseling."

The (DeKalb) Daily Chronicle, reporting police scanner information, said at least two people were shot. A Daily Chronicle photographer on the scene saw five wounded people going by on stretchers.

WBBM-TV in Chicago, citing police reports, said that at least three people were shot.

According to the Kankakee Daily Journal, more than a dozen people were reported injured. Hospitals in the area were told to expect up to 15 injured people.

The Chicago Tribune reported the DeKalb County coroner's office had reported no fatalities as of 4 p.m.

"Get to a safe area and take precautions until given the all clear," officials said in a message posted on the school's Web site at 3:20 p.m. "Avoid the King Commons and all buildings in that vicinity."

The university was locked down, and students reportedly were calling from the library. Police established a perimeter around Cole Hall, and 15-20 emergency vehicles were in the area.

By 4:31 p.m., the NIU website asked all students to call their parents as soon as possible.

DeKalb is about 65 miles west of Chicago.

I will never figure out why some crazy SOB thinks it is ok to do such a terrible thing. What does it prove or solve.

It might have taken only one other person packing to save some lives/injuries.

These cowards that do this will go to the schools first cause they KNOW WITHOUT A DOUBT that there are no other guns there.

yeah because of the gun free zone and then they exspell some 2grader for having serts

such a waste more senseless killings, it seems to happening all over the world at the moment. What has gone wrong with the youth of today. Shooting and knifing each other. If your fed up with life just take your own and leave others alone, that's my two pence worth.

We're about 2 hours south of there but it's still the talk of the town here. Lots of kids from this area end up going to NIU. Friend of mine has a daughter up there but she's OK.

Illinois is an anti-gun state and this will only make it worse. The short-sighted, ignorant people in charge will blame the guns instead of the people.

Same thing the other day in Baton Rouge at the technical college. Some girl just walked in and shot 2 people and then killed herself. They say she had no knowledge of the 2 people she shot, they never met or spoke or anything. Just wrong place wrong time I guess.

If it wasn't a gun they would strap a bomb to them, happens everyday. They are no different than the terrorist that come from the middle east. It just shows the moral fiber of the country.

I agree with Mike on them being cowards, I pack I might be a victim but I will be one that can and will shoot back.

These terrorists never go after armed facilities/people. Their targets are always the defenseless.

VanC":2cwfpreh said:
Illinois is an anti-gun state and this will only make it worse. The short-sighted, ignorant people in charge will blame the guns instead of the people.

And Obama is one of them.

The sad thing is if someone had a gun, and stopped that thing before it got started, that person would be in jail right now facing charges.

True...more school shootings and other "gun free" locations.

The FBI and others have yet to arrive at a statistically significat "profile" of such shooters. Too many variables. They come from all walks of life.

Probably the "most" significant pre-dispositions would include those individuals who are depressed, have paranoid ideation, have an axe to grind against some catagory of people or institution, and/or psychopathic. This would include those sociopaths who have no regard for human or other animal life. Then, there are others who are just MEAN. We should be thankful that some of those shooters elect to commit suicide (or suicide by cop) at the end of the event...saves all legal costs, delays, and sharp attorneys getting them off.

This aside...

I don't think these incidents will ever be prevented. Just behooves others to be very diligent of their surroundings, leaving oneself an "out" (e.g., close to a door), and identify environmental situations as Green, Caution, or Danger.

People kill people...not guns, knives, clubs, poisons, etc.

"Pack if you got one" Git Er Done! Stay away from crowds...lol.

Latest posts