injured cow had to be put down

Help Support CattleToday:

pattio100

Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know that my "baby" cow had to put down. The vet came out and looked at her early this morning and said that it WAS milk fever and that she had extreme nerve damage from where she got tangled up and that she would probably never walk again. So now I have her baby to try to raise, I've never raised a calf on a bottle before but I am going to try. Can any of y'all help me out? How many times a day do I feed her? Is there anything else that I should do to ensure her health?

Go to the top of this page and click on search, type in Bottle babies or bottle calves and then read, read, read. You will get tons of information.

So sorry to hear it pattio100, I don't think it gets any easier when you're close to them like that. Maybe knowing that her condition and the posts here helped someone will be somewhat of a condolence. I for one learned that milk fever can hit them a month after calving, and just having that knowledge may be a great help if it ever happens out here.

pattio100, so sorry to hear of your loss. You can raise that baby on a bottle successfully. Lots of info here in that regard.
Good luck with her.

Katherine

caustic's right:

You have enough, you'll lose some. Good luck with the calf, though. Won't be easy to bottle raise, but you'll do fine. May take a little while for the calf to figure out what's going on, but once it does, it's gonna be pushing you for milk every day.

Sorry to hear about your cow. Having a calf out of her helps. I had to have one put down last year 5 days after calving due to a bleeding ulcer. The vet hadn't put down a cow for 5 years, and when he went in he asked if I had any last words, so I told him to tell her I would take good care of her baby. I was crying, and the vet came out and he had tears. But I have her heifer calf in my pen now. The last piece of "Old Blue". Lots of good advice here on bottle calves. Or you can pass it off to a cow that loses it's calf later. Good luck!

While I really wish Caustic was wrong, he isn't. Losses go hand in hand with the territory. That being said, I'm sorry for the loss of your cow. As far as the baby is concerned, do the search as previously recommended. It will net you a wealth of information on raising a bucket/bottle calf. I wish you the best of luck with your bottle baby and I truly wish things had turned out differently.

Latest posts