injectable or pour on wormer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Another problem w/ Safegard wormer blocks is they only treat about 8 adult head.If you have a small herd I guess they're OK, but at 30.00 a block average price,a larger operator is better off with pour on wormer, plus you'll have a boss cow or two getting all the product from the block, and the less aggressive cattle lose.

tapeworm":3by475gm said:
On the pours...I use the generic ivermectin from Agrilabs...its also one of the cheapest now and Agrilabs makes a lot of great products...reputation and quality control is good

we also used AgriMectin for the first time this year......we'll see how it works.

I'm gonna try the Ivermectin this spring. I just don't don't know if Ivomec is all its cooked up to be... Kind of like John Deeres and Snap On Tools the name is what you pay for, although in those department I have to admit I pay for both... :)

Well I meant "Agrimectin" I can but it from my supplier for 95 bucks for 5 liter.Gol durn ivomec is 325 bucks for 5 liters and it takes the same ammount of wormer per head. Not too hard to figer out which is the best deal there.
:shock:

I know what you mean with the cost of the "Big Name" wormers. We've seen a decrease in wormer sales. You'd think with the price of cattle up,more investment would be made in overall healthcare. Lot's of folks wanting the cheap feed mixing wormer pellets. In my opinion if you have more than a couple head they are not very effective. Maybe the generic injectables and pour ons will gain some ground. Would be glad to hear some results on them.

I'm not 100% sure on Ivomec but a pfizer rep told me that injectable dectomax gets up to 3 times more in the bloodstream, better for internal worms where as the pour on is better for lice. We inject in the spring and pour in the fall.

Just remember few pour-ons get liver flukes. Ivomec pour-on doesn't. We use pour-on in the spring or if there's an outbreak of lice, and injectable Ivomec Plus after the first freeze of winter for all parasites and liver flukes.

If you have fat cattle, the injection works better. Pour on doesn't absorb all in on fat cattle.

We use the pour on for the commercial cattle and give the injection's underneath the leg, (what you would consider the armpit) on the show stock and registered cattle.

I use dectomax in the Spring injectable, and Ivomec pour on in the fall.Always a good idea to rotate wormer,and brands.

R ^ 5":qpoqaxov said:
I use dectomax in the Spring injectable, and Ivomec pour on in the fall.Always a good idea to rotate wormer,and brands.
i used ivomec injectable the other day on the heifers. we use pour on for the cows though spring and fall guess i should consider rotating, good idea.

Welcome back arrowhunter. Man, its been a LONG time -- where ya been?

Thanks Arnold! Can't believe anyone remembered me! I have to admit I kinda let this forum slide, glad to be back tho. Great info as usual.

I think Ivomec pour on may help with immature flukes but you really need an injectable like Ivomec Plus to control them. Dang I sound like a drug rep!

tom4018":2rxwxwaq said:
Which if any pour ons will get liver flukes?
NONE....that I ever heard of....valbazen drench is the only thing I know of if for some reason you dont want an injectable..and it can cause early abortions

ivomec plus injectable is the only kind i know of that keils liver flukes. i have to give myself a shot once or twict a year too to keep the ol liver kickin and flush the bugs out.

CattleAnnie":32b6opto said:
Bif, we use Dectomax instead of Ivomec...cheaper and works as well here.

We did have a wreck one year when we tried Cydectin on the cows. Had to retreat a third of the herd. Ended up being a bit on the costly and inefficient side of things. But I've heard glowing reports from other producers who use Cydectin, so guess we must have just ended up with a few bad batches that year.

Take care.

I don,t like cydectin either same results as you.we use either Ivomec or Dectomax

I rotate Cydectin and generic Ivomectin every couple of years. We have had good luck with both. It sure isn't cheap when we are using the Cydectin. If you are in a wet area it may be a good idea to use the Ivomec plus every now and then for liver flukes.

Went to our producers meeting this weekend and the Pfizer Rep said that fluke control only happens on adults and about the only effective time for treatment is August and September. I plan on doing some checking on this. Because, they filled us up on brisket and my eyes were trying to close during the reps spill.

Latest posts