injectable or pour on wormer?

Help Support CattleToday:

buckaroo_bif

Reaction score
We got into a discussion at the co-op the other day about which wormer is best and whether pour on or injectable is best. i have always used ivomec pour on for the cows and ivomec injectable for calves at weaning.

I use the pour on for everything. I don't like to stick the cattle anymore than I need to.

All things being equal - they both work.

For ease of use - pour on.

Bez

I usually worm twice a year. I inject at least once and pour on the other time. I'm with certherfbeef, the fewer injections the better, it's keeps from spoiling the beef. Even if you run seedstock animals or a commercial moma cow operation, those cows may eventually make it to slaughter, and loosing a good chunk of the round, or causing shot lesions is not desireable. I don't use blocks because you don't know who is getting wormed... :)

Running Arrow Bill":2kcemgel said:
All injections are sub-cutaneous (not in muscle).

You will find there are some injections which have to be placed in the muscle, but use the neck if your are going to do this, not the rear. Wormer "is" subQ. I like to use the neck and low on the shoulder behind the front leg for SubQ shots.

think that would be painful behind front leg

That's where folks give shots to sheep - done it before and it didn't seem to bother 'em - one of the only places with minimal wool so's you can actually find the skin.

Somehow I feel a little safer giving the injections up on the neck with the cow's head restrained by a chute or halter, rather than getting down by the front leg...just doesn't sound real safe. You'd prolly get kicked; some of those cows can really reach with their back legs!

Thanks folks I don't figer on changin my worming much I have always used ivomec too. Any of you tried any of the less expensive wormers? Just wunerin ivomec works great and I don't like to skimp on vaccine Or wormer so I'll stay with it probly. I use mostly Pfizer products for everthang else.
bif

Behind the leg is because there is loose skin. I go with the pour on. Like was said earlier the less times you have to stick them the better.

Scotty

Bif, we use Dectomax instead of Ivomec...cheaper and works as well here.

We did have a wreck one year when we tried Cydectin on the cows. Had to retreat a third of the herd. Ended up being a bit on the costly and inefficient side of things. But I've heard glowing reports from other producers who use Cydectin, so guess we must have just ended up with a few bad batches that year.

Take care.

I guess I should add that numbers matter - time and so on. Easy to stick a few. When you run a big number through the squeeze time matters.

Good point, Bez.

We process (preg-test, scourguard, 8-way and Dectomax) the herd in one day every fall, but it's a long day. Makes our life a bit easier not to have to mess around with another shot for the cattle. Not having to reload another set of syringes saves time, too. Pretty quick to just squirt 'em.

Take care.

I had just been wondering about some of the generic wormers. They carry Top Line at my feed store thought I might try it Ivomec is good I am sure but getting more costly all the time. Don't wanna seem cheap but if'n I can save a few hundred at working time it will be a big help.
Thanks everbody!
bif

buckaroo_bif":2rr2x7ho said:
I had just been wondering about some of the generic wormers. They carry Top Line at my feed store thought I might try it Ivomec is good I am sure but getting more costly all the time. Don't wanna seem cheap but if'n I can save a few hundred at working time it will be a big help.
Thanks everbody!
bif

Some of the generic stuff is what is called recombinations. You might want to ask your vet about them. Some of them are as good as the brand names, some of the vaccines aren't as good as the name types. With any luck your vet will know what the deal is and not want to sell you some kind of stuff that he carrys

dun

My wife works for a vet. She told me they reordered wormer and the IVomec was cheaper than the generic. Shop around, order online. I have found some ggod deals. And I have used the generic. For the most part I can't tell it didn't work. I could tell when I used Cydectin it did not.

Scotty

Is any of the block wormer worth a darn? In the spring and summer my cows are in the back pasture and my chutes are up by the house with a lot of fresh hay pasture to negotiate before they get to the pen.

John Mc.":2exc2nzo said:
Is any of the block wormer worth a darn? In the spring and summer my cows are in the back pasture and my chutes are up by the house with a lot of fresh hay pasture to negotiate before they get to the pen.
Yep the safeguard is good but the problem is consumption...some cows get too much and some dont get any...so the average can be about right and some cows still wont be wormed. Not very cost effective to me. Sometimes you dont have a choice though. You might try the pellets instead of the blocks...get all your cows to eating a similar non-medicated pellet first then just blend in the amount of the Safeguard pellets you need.

On the pours...I use the generic ivermectin from Agrilabs...its also one of the cheapest now and Agrilabs makes a lot of great products...reputation and quality control is good

Running Arrow Bill":2b74tb1r said:
We use Ivomec + injectible 2X a year with our Longhorns. All injections are sub-cutaneous (not in muscle). Same with calves. Same with entire herd for other annual vaccinations.

I agree,I do the same. Injectable in the Spring and the Fall. Just be sure you give it subcutaneous and not in the muscle. ;-) :cboy:

Latest posts