Inforce 3

Help Support CattleToday:

A.J. said:
Thank you all for the responses. We initially gave just a tetanus shot when we banded them, but had switched to covexin since it covered tetanus and blackleg. It sounds like switching back from covexin to just a tetanus shot and inforce 3 at birth, then vaccinate accordingly when they are a little older would be better if I'm understanding correctly?

A.J.

This is what I would do under your circumstances. I don't band at birth but if I did, personally, I would not give a tetanus at that age. I think the risk of tetanus when banding at birth is low. I don't give Covexin 8 until they are at least 10 weeks old. It takes a booster. Then after that, I can cut or band with full knowledge they are protected from tetanus.

At birth, I give First Defense against E. coli and Coronavirus. These are an infusion of antibodies via a bolus. Then I use Inforce 3 intranasal.

At 10 to 12 weeks, I give the first Covexin 8.

Does the in force 3 given at birth still offer any protection at weaning? Weaning to yearling is when I have the pneumonia troubles.

I'm afraid not to give it again at weaning but maybe someone here can tell us. I wean at 8-9 months so I feel it's to long to rely on the one I give at birth.

T & B farms said:
Does the in force 3 given at birth still offer any protection at weaning? Weaning to yearling is when I have the pneumonia troubles.

If given at birth, it is recommended to booster Inforce 3 at or before weaning or in the alternative, vaccinate again before weaning with an injectable Fetal Protection vaccine such as Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 (there are many other vaccines, just remember, the Inforce 3 is safe for nursing calves but the injectable vaccines like Bovi Shield Gold cannot be given to nursing calves if the dam has not been previously vaccinated with a MLV fetal protection vaccine because of abortion). The duration of immunity for the IBR component is 193 days per studies. For all three components, 6 months of immunity is projected.

One thing I will add, weaning is stressful and it is common for pathogens like Mannheimia haemolytica and Pasteurella multocida (both are bacteria that cause weaning fever or shipping fever) to cause bacterial pneumonia. Inforce 3 does not protect against those pathogens. I use Mannheimia haemolytica-Pasteurella multocida Bacterin-Toxoid called Pulmo Guard PHM-1 by American Animal Health.

Inforce 3 covers the following three viral respiratory diseases IBR, BRSV, and PI3.

Totally agree with what Ron (BR) says. I give BS5L5HB at 3-4 months of age and again 30 days later. Also give OneShot 8 and the booster for UltraChoice 8 at the 30 days work up.
With this program, I don't have to worry about working them again until they are over the stress of weaning. Then I hit them again with the BS & the OneShot 8. I also deworm (both summer workups - a drench & a pour on)and give Multimin90 once in the summer workups and again after weaning along with a deworm pour on steers & drench on heifers.

Latest posts