Inforce 3

Help Support CattleToday:

Current price for 25 individual doses at Jeffers is $62.09. I put 10 boxes in my shopping cart and there was no price break for a larger purchase.

Chocolate Cow2 said:
Current price for 25 individual doses at Jeffers is $62.09. I put 10 boxes in my shopping cart and there was no price break for a larger purchase.

I bought 2 25 dose boxes last week for $48 each. I felt it was a decent price picked up here with no shipping

Ron said he bought Inforce3 from Jeffers for $43.69- 25 single dose. I checked their site and it's $62.09 for 25 single dose. Maybe it's gone up since he bought last, idk. That's a big price difference. I put 10 boxes in my cart to see if there was a price break for buying more. There isn't. 1 box of 25 or 10 boxes, it's still $62.09 a box.

ValleyVet is currently a tic less...$59.99 for 25 single dose. With a few exceptions I prefer VV over Jeffers not the least of which they ship via UPS whereas the latter uses Fed X who've screwed up overnight vaccine shipments.

I bought 2 25 dose boxes last week for $48 each.
Locally?
The 85% response is why I give BS5L5HB 30 days apart on my calves. You have to give a booster for the BRSV, so instead of sticking a needle in them for 1 thing, I hit them with the full vaccine.
That's my protocol as well.

Chocolate Cow2 said:
Ron said he bought Inforce3 from Jeffers for $43.69- 25 single dose. I checked their site and it's $62.09 for 25 single dose. Maybe it's gone up since he bought last, idk. That's a big price difference. I put 10 boxes in my cart to see if there was a price break for buying more. There isn't. 1 box of 25 or 10 boxes, it's still $62.09 a box.

There has been a change in prices. Looks like they even changed it since you checked!!!

The 25 individual doses are as follows at this very minute. :

76 Bar said:
I bought 2 25 dose boxes last week for $48 each.
Locally?
The 85% response is why I give BS5L5HB 30 days apart on my calves. You have to give a booster for the BRSV, so instead of sticking a needle in them for 1 thing, I hit them with the full vaccine.
That's my protocol as well.
Yes the $48 is at the TN co-op and my local feed store. And not worrying about the shipping is good to.

2019 spring calving season, I gave every newborn a dose of Inforce3. I had one dose blown back in my face. As for my immunity, I'm not sure I have much but when it comes to my calves, I'll use Inforce3 again. I had outstanding results. Our spring was wet and cold. I never had one sick calf.

Agreed - I am sold on the product. Like I said above, I also use it as a go-to if a calf is going to be stressed or acts a little puny. I can't explain it as fancy as BrightRaven, but it kicks in their own immune system & they fight off what might get them or is getting them. Ron's statement: " Inforce 3 initiates an immune response - the vaccine acts as antigens and the calf produces the antibodies." All I know, is it really works without giving antibiotics - now this is only if they are a "little" puny - not blown out sick.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Agreed - I am sold on the product. Like I said above, I also use it as a go-to if a calf is going to be stressed or acts a little puny. I can't explain it as fancy as BrightRaven, but it kicks in their own immune system & they fight off what might get them or is getting them. Ron's statement: " Inforce 3 initiates an immune response - the vaccine acts as antigens and the calf produces the antibodies." All I know, is it really works without giving antibiotics - now this is only if they are a "little" puny - not blown out sick.

May I add this in simple words? A vaccine contains parts (or the whole) of the germ (pathogen). An example would be proteins from the germ. These parts are the "antigens". The immune system of the calf responds to these antigens by producing "antibodies". These antibodies remain in the body to act as "identifiers". So when the calf is exposed to the real pathogen, the antibodies identify the pathogen and "tell" the leukocytes to go to war against the pathogen.

This process can be initiated by a vaccine or the real live pathogen during an infection.

In the case of colostrum, it is, so to speak, a "borrowed" immunity. The calf borrows the immunity from mom. The calf "borrows" mom's antibodies. The problem with this immunity is that at the end of the "loan period", it is no good. This is when people refer to a calf having a "crash of the immune system". What they are finding out is that all along this period, the calf's immune system is actually at work developing its own immune response.

Btw: immunity can be against the organism or against the toxin the organism secretes.

Bright Raven said:

May I add this in simple words? A vaccine contains parts (or the whole) of the germ (pathogen). An example would be proteins from the germ. These parts are the "antigens". The immune system of the calf responds to these antigens by producing "antibodies". These antibodies remain in the body to act as "identifiers". So when the calf is exposed to the real pathogen, the antibodies identify the pathogen and "tell" the leukocytes to go to war against the pathogen.

This process can be initiated by a vaccine or the real live pathogen during an infection.

In the case of colostrum, it is, so to speak, a "borrowed" immunity. The calf borrows the immunity from mom. The calf "borrows" mom's antibodies. The problem with this immunity is that at the end of the "loan period", it is no good. This is when people refer to a calf having a "crash of the immune system". What they are finding out is that all along this period, the calf's immune system is actually at work developing its own immune response.

Btw: immunity can be against the organism or against the toxin the organism secretes.

Something else to add to Ron's very detailed explanation:
The antibodies attach to antigens and mark them for the T cells to attack and destroy. When an antibody binds to an antigen, this attachment also prevents the invading antigen from invading other cells in the body. This is a very important function provided by antibodies to disrupt the chain of infection.

Still a lot of words. All I know, is vet explained it "kicks in" their immune response and they fight off current exposure to bugs. It is designed to build immunities to IBR PI3 and BRSV and that may be what I am warding off during stress, but it sure seems to help keep them healthy during stress and it also helps if they are a little under the weather (not running a fever).
Ron, I like your explanation of colostrum. "borrowed" immunities LOL. that's a good & simple way to put it.

Still a lot of words. All I know, is vet explained it "kicks in" their immune response and they fight off current exposure to bugs. It is designed to build immunities to IBR PI3 and BRSV and that may be what I am warding off during stress, but it sure seems to help keep them healthy during stress and it also helps if they are a little under the weather (not running a fever).
Ron, I like your explanation of colostrum. "borrowed" immunities LOL. that's a good & simple way to put it.

I thought that was clever if I do say so myself. Lol

Lots of good information in this thread. We usually band within the first couple days of birth and vaccinate them with Covexin 8. Would this and Inforce 3 interfere with each other or reduce their effect?

It's been my understanding that it's a waste of medicine to vaccinate with Covexine and similar until calves are several weeks old. If the cows are vaccinated the calves should receive passive immunity via colostrum of their vaccinated mothers to reduce clostridial diseases. Passive immunity to prerfringens from colostrum should last up to 8-12 weeks.
Inforce 3 can be taken advantage of from day one.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Silver said:
It's been my understanding that it's a waste of medicine to vaccinate with Covexine and similar until calves are several weeks old. If the cows are vaccinated the calves should receive passive immunity via colostrum of their vaccinated mothers to reduce clostridial diseases. Passive immunity to prerfringens from colostrum should last up to 8-12 weeks.

You're generally correct. The vaccine would potentially have some benefit to calves who did not get protective immunity from colostrum (10-20% in most herds). The problem with most injectable vaccines is that they are unnecessarily hard on calves at that age. Newer research in dairy calves has shown that vaccinating with most injectable vaccines is actually harmful to very young calves, as it produces more stress than it's worth. The one exception to this was C/D & T vaccine, which didn't set calves back. I would definitely avoid using 7 or 8 way clostridials or injectable modified live respiratory vaccines in newborn calves.

Silver said:

According to my conversation with a very well educated professional on immunity with Zoetis, that is correct. If you are using injectable vaccines like Covexin, it is best to give the calf some time to get a systemic immune response. The beauty of the intranasal vaccines is that it uses the cells on the mucous linings to produce antibodies.

Buck Randall said:
Silver said:

You're generally correct. The vaccine would potentially have some benefit to calves who did not get protective immunity from colostrum (10-20% in most herds). The problem with most injectable vaccines is that they are unnecessarily hard on calves at that age. Newer research in dairy calves has shown that vaccinating with most injectable vaccines is actually harmful to very young calves, as it produces more stress than it's worth. The one exception to this was C/D & T vaccine, which didn't set calves back. I would definitely avoid using 7 or 8 way clostridials or injectable modified live respiratory vaccines in newborn calves.

You posted one minute prior to mine. Your response is what I understand.

BTW. Some of this is changing as new studies come out.

Thank you all for the responses. We initially gave just a tetanus shot when we banded them, but had switched to covexin since it covered tetanus and blackleg. It sounds like switching back from covexin to just a tetanus shot and inforce 3 at birth, then vaccinate accordingly when they are a little older would be better if I'm understanding correctly?

Latest posts