infection in throat or something help !!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I'm going to come to this board before i do any other research because you all are so smart :cboy: Anyways, we have this heifer who has a very large lumpy thing under her chin with a hole like area..my mother n law says its lockjaw and it has already passed through or something like that but that was a while ago and it isn't getting any better... i'm not sure if her diagnosis is correct or if we should of gotten some treatment earlier.. She started to sound a little wheazy after any activity today and so being new in the cow business we probably made a mistake by not following up on what was wrong with her..Does anyone have any idea if its lockjaw or what it could be ?

fishermanswoman":33j59cag said:
I'm going to come to this board before i do any other research because you all are so smart :cboy: Anyways, we have this heifer who has a very large lumpy thing under her chin with a hole like area..my mother n law says its lockjaw and it has already passed through or something like that but that was a while ago and it isn't getting any better... i'm not sure if her diagnosis is correct or if we should of gotten some treatment earlier.. She started to sound a little wheazy after any activity today and so being new in the cow business we probably made a mistake by not following up on what was wrong with her..Does anyone have any idea if its lockjaw or what it could be ?

Have you even talked to a veterinarian?

Have you medicated with anything?

The first start is with my first statement. While I have an idea or two, it could literally be a dozen things.

Sounds like it is draining, but your wheezing comment bothers me.

Bez!

I did a little research on the lock jaw and I came up with lumpy jaw instead...does that sound closer ? it said it can affect the nasal and the alimentary tract..not sure what that is yet but I will be finding out...we have been giving her 54cc of oxytretracyline stuff and this is the 3rd day..poor thing it really seems to be about 3 avg. size holes just as lumpy jaw says it can spread. The wheazing does seem to be the main concern..maybe phnemonia? I'm not sure but we'll try this antibiotic and see if it helps..it seems to have helped the oozing of the stuff coming out but we are using iodine and my husband put screw worm stuff on there to keep those evil flies out of the wound.. Thanks for the couple replies I got