Inducing labor

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has induced labor on a cow that is over due?? If you have how long over was the cow? I have a first calf heifer and was "talking" to a breeder who said he doesn't let them go over a week overdue! Just wondering (and waiting for the heifer to calve!) and thought I would see how many of you have first hand experience with inducing labor.

We have a few times - don't remember exactly why - definately late ones. You NEVER want to induce unless you are absolutely SURE of the breeding date - no mistakes.
You have a higher incidence of retained placenta when you induce.

Thanks Jeanne, positive on the AI breeding and preg check confirmed. She was at 286 days on Sunday. The fellow said that that calf will gain two pounds a day in there after 289th day! That would add up quick!!! I haven't talked to my Vets about it yet....just sitting here wondering, waiting, what iffing, waiting, watching and WAITING. You would think at my age I would have more patience!

The only negative I know is the possible retain placenta - and that is also an issue if you have dystocia. I would rather get the calf out with an easy birthing. IF the dam and the sire have easy calving info / light birth weights, it may not be a concern.

Well, this is her first calf and first time I have used this AI bull......so I really don't know, but am hoping she performs like her grand dam!! I did get my barn cams installed. I didn't go with the brand you use, a neighbor in the security "biz" suggested the Uniden units. I got two cameras and a monitor for just a bit more. Sure is nice to not have to go back and forth to the barn during the night and stirring "everyone" up going in and out.
Uniden UDW20055 Indoor/Outdoor Wireless Video Surveillance System With 7" LCD Monitor and 2 Weatherp
http://www.bensoutlet.com

Yeah, I saw your other post - the company is sold out now. Wonder if your post had anything to do with that??
People like to Poo-Poo having cameras - pampered cattle. "Pampered cattle" heck - pampered ME!!! everything goes so much smoother for them & me. "NOT" calving in the barn is out of the question for us - this is the perfect answer to restful nights. Even if you were calving in lots, a camera would be so helpful - dystocia, calf got licked under the fence, cows fighting over the same calf - lots of things to observe.

Latest posts