Increasing Production

Help Support CattleToday:

keep in mind the weaning ring isnt a weaning tool it is to HELP in the weaning process from what i understand you can only leave it in for no longer than a week....because it then will start to irritate the nerve or something in there.....it is used to put in for like 3 days and keep the cow and calf together then take out and wean this= less stress on calf......this is my understanding of it

I haven't milked before, which is a big factor in this whole problem. She hasn't either, from a human. I got 4.5 cups out of her this morning at 6am after milking her at 2pm the day before and getting 7 cups. That's close to 3/4 of a gallon in less than 24 hours. I kept the calf separated during this whole time.

It took me roughly 40 minutes to get that 4.5 cups this morning. What was puzzling me was that I would milk a teat until I just couldn't seem to get any more, or a very thin stream while squeezing really hard, then I would switch to another teat and do the same thing. I went all the way around with this process. When I finished, I noticed there was still more in each teat and so I did some more for about another 20 minutes, trying to squeeze out everything I could.

When I felt the udder, it still felt like it was still pressured, but I couldn't seem to get any more. I let the cow off the stanchion and released the calf. The calf immediately started nursing and whacking the udder. He started having his mouth covered in milk and I could see it dripping. Very frustrating. The calf did go about twice as long as I have ever seen (about 10 minutes) but after about 5 minutes he spent most of his time whacking her udder. So clearly the cow is holding back, but I could feel her letting her milk down at one point.

Bottom line: I don't know what to make of all this and would like to get into a rhythm.

As a side note, I noticed a bloody mucus on the vent and tail of this cow yesterday, so I am thinking she wasn't bred, even though she was in with a proven bull for two full cycles.

What do you think?

Perhaps the cow is not letting down. It sure sounds like that is what she's doing. She needs the stimulation of the calf sucking. This causes her release of oxytocin. Some home milkers let the calf nurse one quarter and milk the other three. Sometimes while the calf is actually nursing. Eventually the cow gets habituated to letting down from the udder washing the milker does before milking.

This thread was a long time ago so it is a mot point now I guess.

Latest posts