Increasing AI success

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
Been reading (U of A material) and speaking to folks lately about AI. I'd like to hear from those actually doing AI and see what you feel increases your conception rates. Thanks in advance.

Heat detection.

Live with the cows while AIing. Flawless heat detection is my answer. And remember that the patches and cidrs and lute are only a tool. All are worthless if you don't watch your cows to know WHEN they were standing.

I have to agree. Heat detection is the most important thing. Also don't do any thing except A I ing when in the chute. Don't give shots or chg ear tags. The calmer the cows can be kept the better. Hope this helps.

The best way of improving your AI conception rates is to make sure your health program is spot on, your cows condition is on a rising plane from calving to breeding and the rest is down to heat detection and practice. Semen quality also plays a big role, but if you stick to the well known studs that should not be a factor.

Doesn't matter how long you've been doing it you will always get one where you struggle for 15 minutes and still not be sure where you've deposited the semen.

On the flipside some of those will settle and leave you wondering why they did while some of the others that were very easy and you were very sure they would settle, didn't.

There isn;t any one thing that will improve AI. If you're off on one thing by much you might as well squirt it on the ground.
Heat Detection
Good quality semen
Proper semen handling
Good technician, with a good cowside manner
Calm cows help
Good feed/mineral program (nutrition)
Fertile cows

dun

Thanks for the input. These heifers just came off a big pasture and are a little wild right now. We've been feeding since we've got them trying to get them to gentle up a little. I've fooled with dogs in heat and the color/consistency of the discharge is usually the key. Give me some tips on heat detection in cattle.

Thanks Again

I think timing "when to AI " during the heat cycle. This is critical to not AI too early or too late. We used to have an AI tech that would only come at a certain time when you called - like 9 am ( even if I called at 9 that day he would come the next day - and never off that schedule and he missed many of my cows with that schedule. Cows are not always on the same schedule as the AI tech!
Nutrition and a good mineral program is a must.
AI tech and quality and handling like Dun said is also critical.
Of course...This is MY opinion!

they'll be mounting e/o
the time to breed is when the cow is standing to be mounted.

What improves conception is:
heat detection
fertile cows
healthy cows
condition of cows
good semen
the arm inside

Most covered all, when we started out we had low percentage of results. Started a better mineral program that that helped.

And number one thing was increasing Heat Detection time and had a vet that liked to breed a little to early. So I started taking the cow and having him breed them exactly when I wanted and we started getting them all bred.

When you are in doubt about when the stood or quit standing it is better to be late than early on breeding. That is what a guy that does embryo work told me and once I changed to that philosophy are success increased drastically.

*Cowgirl*":hp73g35e said:

Only if you are a bull. The accepted timng for AI is 12 hours after observed standing heat or there abouts. The AM-PM rule applies. If they are observed standing in the AM you breed them in the PM and vice versa

dun

dun":972k18ct said:
*Cowgirl*":972k18ct said:

Only if you are a bull. The accepted timng for AI is 12 hours after observed standing heat or there abouts. The AM-PM rule applies. If they are observed standing in the AM you breed them in the PM and vice versa

dun

dun do you go 12 hours from the first time you see them standing or do you watch and go 12 hours from when they are done standing?

We started having better success once we watched or estimated when they quit standing and then counted 12 hours. Following the idea of better late than early.

aplusmnt":3s1pqjah said:
dun":3s1pqjah said:
*Cowgirl*":3s1pqjah said:

dun

dun do you go 12 hours from the first time you see them standing or do you watch and go 12 hours from when they are done standing?

We started having better success once we watched or estimated when they quit standing and then counted 12 hours. Following the idea of better late than early.

We don;t do a precise 12 hours. Pretty much am-pm. I usually heat detect around 5-6 in the morning which is when we breed the ones we say standing late in the day or evening of the previous day then breed around 7pm (it's cooler then). For us heat detection is pretty much an all day deal. But we have the luxury of being able to see the cows while we're doing other work around the farm. If we notice something out of the ordinary we may stop and watch for a few minutes, The nly concentrated heat detection is the am and pm deal.
heat-chart.jpg

dun

My philosoply is that breeding later is higher conception, but breeding early is more heifers.
When we START our AI program, we tend to breed as early in the cycle as possible (hubby is my AI tech & that's his busiest time of the year at "real" job). Later, or repeats, we breed later.

Do any of you use synchronization drugs? I have a friend that is going to do the AI and I'd rather have them ready at a certain time so he can do them all at once (unless there's some drawback other than $ for the drugs). Are there any studies about increase/decrease in conception when using the sync drugs?

Here's a picture of the little ladies...

470164.jpg

Thanks again for all the input!!

Jeanne, is that your experience or was there a study or something done to bring you to that conclusion?

Arkieman":31hcvgzy said:
Jeanne, is that your experience or was there a study or something done to bring you to that conclusion?

I don;t know about Jeannes experience but when we've tried timed breeding, others herds not ours, we've had them come into standing heat a day or 2 after they were inseminated based on time. Gaurantee those ones didn;t settle to the first breeding.

dun

Latest posts