AI Suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

JMER1533

Reaction score
I'm in southern middle TN and have two registered cow calf pairs. I want the cows bred asap in order to give me fall calving and I'd like to use AI. Eventually I plan to get into grass-fed beef so I'm looking for opinions of good sources/sires of AI to use that provide calving ease, high back fat and moderate frame. My main goals are calving ease, high marbling and back fat (since won't be using grain, just grass for finishing) and docility. Any suggestions on local bulls to me or good Sire suggestions are appreciated.

Guess there was another hiccup in the system.

Green Garden Angus sires fit your criteria well.
Gardens Prime Time and Gardens Next Wave HE17 are two that I'm familiar with that are still on the market. Will bring calving ease, marbling/ribeye and tenderness to the deal. Not max growth genetics, but sure should fit a grassfed deal.
Visit their website... they may have some new sires in the pipeline - and will probably have some carcass data available to view.

You have your goals set out, but for an AI program for fall calving, you are starting out a little late. Have you figured out WHO will do the breeding? Do you have a place to store the semen? Do you have heats on your cows? How old are the sucking calves? You need about 40 days past calving.
You need to contact the person that will breed your cows and see if he/she is willing to store your semen in his/her tank - unless you are doing your own breeding and have your own tank.
Most bulls will be a minimum of 5 straws. If you are using someone else to do the breeding, ask what company they can easily get semen shipped in quickly. Any company will ship to you or your AI tech, but cost gets outrageous for a small number of straws. If your tech has a company that ships to them, they can combine and share costs.
BTW - :welcome:

Yes, I was too late on fall calving. I'm going to do AI in april timeframe now so I get spring calving. No biggee, I'm in the method of trying things and seeing what works for me. I see benefits in spring calving as well. Thanks for the suggestions on the breeders above, I will check them out.
also, yes I have the person identified that will do the AI and store the semen in her tank.

Meant to tell you Jeanne, I really like your quote. I actually have the exact same quote put up on the wall at the office!

Latest posts