In Person Church

Help Support CattleToday:

Our church has been adaptable, in addition to having outside service, we are also meeting at 10:00 am instead of 11:00 since it has gotten hotter weather. They also observed The Lord's Supper today for the first time in 6 months. Normally it's observed quarterly. They also had purchased individual prepackaged elements, instead of the typical cups of juice and homemade unleavened bread.

Several years ago I attended a funeral for a friend at an Episcopal Church (I am Baptist and it is grape juice only in our services :) ). They gave communion and everyone lined up and took a sip of wine from the same challis. I thought of that reading Ky hills post. That would be a hard no from me these days.

sstterry said:
Several years ago I attended a funeral for a friend at an Episcopal Church (I am Baptist and it is grape juice only in our services :) ). They gave communion and everyone lined up and took a sip of wine from the same challis. I thought of that reading Ky hills post. That would be a hard no from me these days.

Our church is Southern Baptist and it's grape juice only and in individual cups. I don't think our congregation would ever be comfortable with a communal Communion cup even though it is Biblical :lol2: They are also a hand shaking and hugging crowd so the social distance stuff is hard for a lot of folks. They also are missing the weekly fellowship pot luck meals, so last week there was a bring your own food outdoor picnic after Sunday service.

sstterry said:
I just learned last night that our Church is moving back to inside service with no singing. I will send my tithe. But I will not be sitting in a church anytime soon.

We have been inside for awhile we also sing loud and proud. I lead on Wednesday nights.

Caustic Burno said:
sstterry said:
I just learned last night that our Church is moving back to inside service with no singing. I will send my tithe. But I will not be sitting in a church anytime soon.

We have been inside for awhile we also sing loud and proud. I lead on Wednesday nights.

Have you always sang loud and proud, or is that just during Corona? :lol:

herofan said:
Caustic Burno said:
sstterry said:

Have you always sang loud and proud, or is that just during Corona? :lol:

Nothing has changed my county votes 85% red.

We had church in the park today. A beautiful city park in Baker City. There were 4 or 5 churches involved. They do this every year around the 4th of July. They call it God and Country church. You have to bring your own lawn chair to sit in. People spread out in family groups doing social distancing. For my thoughts we could do this every week from now until the weather starts to turn. This park is named for the donor who was every successful in the gold mining business here over a century ago. It is a city block square. The north side is one of the main streets in town. Across the street on the east side is a big museum dedicated to the Oregon Trail. The west side is the Powder River with a foot bridge to the library. It has large stately trees and well maintained lawn. It is a real jewel.

On a cattle note the Powder River flows through Baker City. You might note where Powder River chutes and other cattle handling equipment originated from.

I am pastoring a church now. An older congregation. I am by far the youngest member. We went back a long time ago. Most have health issues, some are cancer survivors, and one has cancer. I'd consider them all to be in the "at risk" group. They wanted go back, so we did.

Bigfoot said:
I am pastoring a church now. An older congregation. I am by far the youngest member. We went back a long time ago. Most have health issues, some are cancer survivors, and one has cancer. I'd consider them all to be in the "at risk" group. They wanted go back, so we did.

Are they doing social distancing and masks, or just back to the usual?

I'm just curious; we have so many levels where I live. Some didn't stop in person at all until members started getting Corona. Some still haven't went back, some have went back with precautions, and some have went back doing their usual routine.

herofan said:
Bigfoot said:

I'm just curious; we have so many levels where I live. Some didn't stop in person at all until members started getting Corona. Some still haven't went back, some have went back with precautions, and some have went back doing their usual routine.

Acting like nothing happened. Church is about the only place they go though.

Bigfoot said:
herofan said:
Bigfoot said:

Bigfoot, if it is an old congregation you need to take steps to get young people involved. Plant some seeds. An old church is a dieing church not a growing one.

Dave said:
Bigfoot said:
herofan said:

Bigfoot, if it is an old congregation you need to take steps to get young people involved. Plant some seeds. An old church is a dieing church not a growing one.

I've only been there a few weeks. They won't some young people with kids so bad, it's heartbreaking. Church been on the same site since 1832. It's 30 miles from civilization, and the community it's in dried up. Feel really confident that it can be restored, with Gods help.

We're still not having in "in person" services but they are streaming it in both english and Spanish at 7am, 9am,11 am and Spanish at 12:30 all with priest and one deacon present only. Being Catholic we have communion at every service every week and drink from one chalise. Haven't received now in almost 4 months and it feels strange.

Bigfoot said:
Dave said:
Bigfoot said:

I've only been there a few weeks. They won't some young people with kids so bad, it's heartbreaking. Church been on the same site since 1832. It's 30 miles from civilization, and the community it's in dried up. Feel really confident that it can be restored, with Gods help.

Bigfoot, we will be praying for growth of that congregation. That is often the case with churches today particularly smaller ones in rural areas. The church we are members of now has had a similar story, it was established in 1848. From what I understand it had dwindled down to only 10 or 12 people fifteen or so years ago all older adults. A fellow that I went through high school with had a calling to preach and had been a pastor at another church in a county around Louisville. The church here interviewed him and hired him on. It is a good fit as he is back in his home town and by God's Grace the church has grown to over 100 members with 60-70 average attendance before the corona stuff. He has children and several folks that he and I went through school with are now members there as well as families that they have met through their children's schools and activities.
My wife and I joined that church about 2 years ago after attending for a year or so. It's been a really good fit connecting with folks of all ages.

Ky hills said:
Bigfoot said:
Dave said:

Bigfoot, we will be praying for growth of that congregation. That is often the case with churches today particularly smaller ones in rural areas. The church we are members of now has had a similar story, it was established in 1848. From what I understand it had dwindled down to only 10 or 12 people fifteen or so years ago all older adults. A fellow that I went through high school with had a calling to preach and had been a pastor at another church in a county around Louisville. The church here interviewed him and hired him on. It is a good fit as he is back in his home town and be nice's Grace the church has grown to over 100 members with 60-70 average attendance before the corona stuff. He has children and several folks that he and I went through school with are now members there as well as families that they have met through their children's schools and activities.
My wife and I joined that church about 2 years ago after attending for a year or so. It's been a really good fit connecting with folks of all ages.

Greatly appreciate the prayers and encouragement.

We went to church yesterday for the first time since March. Sure was different though with all the social distancing etc. We have a fairly large church that will ordinarily seat about 800 tops. Might have been 200 there yesterday. Sure was good to be back. Of course we did have to wear masks too.

Some are open, some are not. Mine is, but almost everyone wears masks and we have to sit way apart except family members can sit next to each other. Went so far as to stagger where ya sit in the pew so no one is sitting directly behind the person in the pew in front of them. Had to place chairs around the walls to allow for the people that wasn't room in pews for.

Latest posts