In-Line Hay Trailer.

Help Support CattleToday:

4x4dually

Reaction score
As usual, I used the search function first and it resulted in nothing. I'm sure it has been hashed out a hundred times, but which in-line hay trailer is best? I have been tasked by pay-n-law to buy him one. 36'. Looking at Orange Ox, Red Ox, Heavy Built, and Eazy Haul. I'm just getting started in my research so stating the obvious here won't offend me. Fire away at your preference and why....or point me to an existing thread since I can't seem to find it.

Gracias.

I had an ez haul was a good trailer with no problems
The ones Go Bob sells (orange ox) maybe , look pretty good
I put mine on hydraulics so wife and the hired hand could use it
Wasnt problem dumping the just couldnt get it back down if it wasnt perfectly level plus the hydraulics sped up the hsuling immensely

I've used and ez haul too with no problems. The problem is, he has been borrowing one, and the latches are messed up. He has to hit the rear latch with a hammer every time and thinks the trailer is poorly built. Granted, they are cheaper, and I can buy one right down the road here, not sure if that is what he wants. I'm assuming the Orange Ox is built heavier but still waiting on a call back from Go Bob.

I like the hydraulic idea but kind of hard to do with a pickup with no auxiliary ports. I'm also looking at the heavy built brand. They operate manually or wirelessly from the cab of the pickup by remote. Basically uses a electric jack to operate. It would be nice for the ladies to haul and not have to get out and dump it.

Goofy video, but shows you how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=556O5yNJDLU

So currently I have in order of my preference......

EzHaul. Lightest built, 36' is $4350 locally.

Heavybuilt. Heaviest built, #7000, Alko axles, both brakes, rectangle main tube, $5650

GoBob, Red Rhino. Heavy built, #6000, Dexter, front brakes only, round main tube, $5130

I have a 30' hydraulic dove tail trailer with #10K oil bath Alko axles and they leak like crazy. Not impressed with Alko. Granted, these hay trailer are grease, not oil, so they may be ok.

I like the Red Rhino. They do have the Competitor (formally Orange Ox) that is lighter built than the Rhino but they only recommend it for those who haul less than 300 bales per year.

Anyone else have input?

I have 40ft Heavy built. I has dual wheels single axle. Have had it for 4 years no problems. The 40 ft is a little long in some places, but it works for me. I like the stability and cutting you can do with the single axle. It hauls 10 bales.

4x4dually":68ed090z said:
I like the hydraulic idea but kind of hard to do with a pickup with no auxiliary ports. I'm also looking at the heavy built brand. They operate manually or wirelessly from the cab of the pickup by remote. Basically uses a electric jack to operate. It would be nice for the ladies to haul and not have to get out and dump it.

Goofy video, but shows you how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=556O5yNJDLU
You can buy a 12v hyd pump set up to run your bale trailer
They ones I looked at were areound $400 and would be well worth the cost as it really speeds up the hauling you can dump and be on the go faster than you can stop the truck
We were hauling to the barn 1/2 mile from field and averaging a bale a minute
I had trycks with Dew eze beds so I had hyd available
Also we pulled with thractor some and it made it real nice

I have the Red Rhino 36 foot trailer you described. I bought it 3 years ago, I called the office south of Oklahoma City, and they delivered it the 300 miles free of charge. I have used it for about 2,000 bales per year, plus everyone I know is always borrowing it, so it has been used alot. It is heavy enough that it doesn't get warped or bent and it works great. Only problem I had was a guy that borrowed it, cut a corner too short and hit a pole with one tire and bent an axle. Red Neck, at Springfield, Mo. handles the axles for Go-Bob, and I ran up and got it and it was simple to put on. I would definitely recommend the Red Rhino, however, it seems that it is cheaper for the guys who borrow it than the guy who actually buys it---LOL

have you looked at the hay trailers that can haul from 16 to 20 bales stacked side by side depending on bale size.the 1 i seen like that i think was $16000 more or less.

I haven't looked at them, no. I haul on a flat bed. Paw-n-law doesn't want more than a 7 bale trailer. I don't think his single wheel pickup wants any more than that either. LOL

just a thought jory

for a trlr that doesnt move alot..grease brgs are best. the oil bath ones will expose the top of the brg w/o oil while it sits. possibly rusting them leading to premy failure when they start running the rust round and round immersed in yer oil bath. grease doesnt do as such and is rec only to be repacked every 1-2 yrs depending on mileage...about 15k is a repack.
per dexter axle company
as for a hay trlr..you got a flatbed. help the old man out and haul it for him

I am not sure what the value of a side by side hay trailer would be. I guess there is a possibility that if someone has a flat 300 acre field and they want to bring all the hay to one corner. So, if you never get out of the field, then you wouldn't be breaking any laws. Any large round bale would be 66 inches or bigger, so that would be 11 feet wide, if you got them mashed together and that is illegal on the public roads. Even the small round bales at 4x5 would be at least 10 feet wide and that is illegal most places. I guess if you were hauling the small rounds at 4 or 4.5 feet in diameter, it could be legal, but if you are hauling those little bales, you probably aren't feeding enough cattle to justify buying a bale trailer, especially a side by side. The 70-72 inch bales I buy and haul would be at least 12 feet wide and I know of nowhere that is legal on a public road. I did see a demo video of a side by side 40 foot trailer that had hoops on each side and it self loaded and then raised and then lowered to drive away with the hay stacked. They said you could move 1,000 bales per day. However, you would only be moving and gathering and staying inside the same field, you could not go out onto a public road. Fun to watch, though.

stocky":3h9pgjim said:
I am not sure what the value of a side by side hay trailer would be. I guess there is a possibility that if someone has a flat 300 acre field and they want to bring all the hay to one corner. So, if you never get out of the field, then you wouldn't be breaking any laws. Any large round bale would be 66 inches or bigger, so that would be 11 feet wide, if you got them mashed together and that is illegal on the public roads. Even the small round bales at 4x5 would be at least 10 feet wide and that is illegal most places. I guess if you were hauling the small rounds at 4 or 4.5 feet in diameter, it could be legal, but if you are hauling those little bales, you probably aren't feeding enough cattle to justify buying a bale trailer, especially a side by side. The 70-72 inch bales I buy and haul would be at least 12 feet wide and I know of nowhere that is legal on a public road. I did see a demo video of a side by side 40 foot trailer that had hoops on each side and it self loaded and then raised and then lowered to drive away with the hay stacked. They said you could move 1,000 bales per day. However, you would only be moving and gathering and staying inside the same field, you could not go out onto a public road. Fun to watch, though.
It seems that around here the width restrictions are usaully removed for moving hay this time of year. I hear on the radio that it's been waved fairly frquently. My problem with a 10 foot load is my wife has a hard time with the depth perception needed to thread it through our just barely 11 foot gates. Coming out of most of the fields the gate posts are 3' square concrete posts buried about 3 ' deep. They're held up for almost 100 years so I see no real reason to try getting them out and widening the gate openings. I just know that I have to keep my equipment widths no wider then about 10 and half feet (that;s for me to go through not the wife)

16000 seems like a lot for a hay mover. How many bales do you haul to justify having that much tied up in something only good for hay? A good flat bed gooseneck would haul that many for less money and be useful in other ways. I dont know about waving restrictions but I know I have hauled side by side in view of cops with no issues. 4x5. 5x5. 5x6

Interesting to note that the heavybuilt dumps without tilting the neck of the trailer. That's the first time I've seen one of those run. I've used or seen several other different brands and they all tilt on the gooseneck ball. The first time I used one I thought I was never going to get unloaded because the ball on my truck was welded to a plate and there wasn't room for the trailer to tilt ( guy I borrowed it from said it needs to have a raised ball - mine had the old plate with the 3" hump in it, and I assumed it needed to be raised so as not to hit the side of the bed so I thought I had that covered). After a little creativity we got it unloaded and swapped it over to my son's truck with a b&w which had plenty of room, but it was definitely a lesson learned. Even on a flatbed, you have to make sure the ball has enough shoulder to let the trailer tilt - something you wouldn't have to worry about with the heavybuilt.

I've used several different sizes and 32' would be my choice as well. I can get along with the 36' most of the time, but the 40' is just too much to get where I go. We bought a flatbed with the theory that we can do so much more with it, but the only other thing we've used it for much is pipe (which happens to be the only other thing the hay trailer is good for, as far as I know). I can haul 12 bales pretty comfortably on it, but if I'm going less than 15 miles an 8 bale dump trailer is still faster.

if you bale and move 1000 round bales a year then the side by side hauler will pay off in 2yrs.you have to remember if you hire your hay hauled.it will cost you $8 to $12 a bale to have it hauled.the 1st double hay hauler i seen was in 2007.my buddy pulled it with a f450.

Bigbull, I wish I could use one, but 70-72 inch diameter bales means about 13 feet wide, minimum, and even though a 40 footer would haul 20 bales, there is no way I could negotiate the county roads and the switchback curves, humpback hills and tight gates around here. Even with a 16 foot gate, pulling out onto a narrow county road would be impossible with 13 feet wide and 40 feet long. When I haul 5x6 bales on my flat bed, it is 10 feet wide and the local law overlooks that, but unless there is a special width restriction lift, due to drought, they will not overlook a 12 foot load, so 6x6 bales have to be hauled one wide on a flat bed. I have the 36 foot Red Rhino and a 20 foot flat bed with a headache and I can get 9 of the 4x bales on the Rhino and 10 of the 4x on the flatbed, so with a neighbor driving one truck, I can move 19 per trip, which moves them out pretty fast.

Latest posts