In-Line Hay Trailer.

Help Support CattleToday:

There are several folks around my neck of the woods with the side-by-sides. Most of them are dual, tandem axle rigs. I've never seen any of them pulled over by the DPS. I think it might be one of those deals where the law just looks the other way for the farmers and ranchers. The guy I have used a couple of times uses a diesel dually Ford to pull his with.

highgrit":2lclv8tc said:
As long as your doing it for yourself or for free you don't have to worry about the laws.

Don't know about other places, but in OK, if your truck has a farm tag, you are exempt from a CDL and a health card. However, you must STILL comply with DOT regs. If the GWR of your pickup + GWR of your trailer = > #26,001, you must comply. This means you must display a DOT number on the tow vehicle, carry three orange safety triangles, fire extinguisher, safety chains, and break-a-way kit on the trailer. IF a weights-n-measures trooper sees you rolling down the highway with dual tandems or triple singles, they can stop you for no other reason than to inspect you, because either of those two combinations plus a truck GWR will be in excess of #26,001. Ask me how I know. :bang: I got a "violation" paper for only one triangle, no numbers, and no extinguisher. Didn't cost any money, but just had to sign the report and mail it to headquarters to tell them I have corrected the problem. I had a DOT number, just didn't have it displayed. It must be YOUR hay, meaning, from your land or something you have purchased. If you are hauling for a friend, there is where it gets sticky and the laws isn't defined very well. If he pays you a dollar or trades something, then it could be considered "for hire" and you must have CDL, health papers, and the insurance.

So basically, in OK, you can haul a rocking chair on a dual tandem for your grandma and be ok. If you put one bale of "farm commodity" hay on the trailer, you must be farm tagged and comply by the rules above. If you run a dual tandem or triple single, you are available for inspection at any time. This is what you get when you have a bunch of ag ignorant jerk-wads at your capital making laws they can't possibly understand.

Oh, ya, I also got written up for "mirrors that don't exceed the width of the load." He told me I didn't even know he was behind me until he hit the siren. He about crapped when I pointed out that I saw him the entire time and I was trying to get up the road where I could get him off in a ditch for his safety. I was hauling 5'x6's so I was pretty wide. I called and discussed the use of cameras with the Troop S headquarters, they handle weights and measures for the state. The law says "mirrors" not "reward facing devices that allow one to see behind them" so it is up in the air at this point. Again....lawmakers are tards.

Camera is a magnetic mount I slap on the back. It is the little, silver dot in the middle of the bar across the back. Display is in my console in the truck.

An hour before said "violation." And don't forget straps. They will nail you around here for "unsecured load" if any bales aren't "secured" by strap or by another bale that is. They even started being Richards about the inlines at one point and giving tickets for not having each bale strapped. That has since gone away....thank God.

00000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000000A1_zps09r7lruu.jpg

127443FB-EBCB-40FD-9216-63A70EBC87D8_zpsfh0anvsg.jpg

Chicken coups are another story here on the interstate. IF you have DOT numbers on your two rig AND the coop can plainly see that you are hauling hay or ag equipment when you fly past them, they won't normally chase you down. Anything else you are risking it when you drive past them. Just hammer them to cover the weight we haul. "Under Registered" ticket will cost ya $175. It is cheaper to just wait to get one than to pay for it when tagging your down and take the first exit. LOL Typically the only ticket that cost you money would be the fact that 90% of us don't register our truck for proper weight when we tag trucks. Helps to have a Corp Commision weights-n-measures guy living across the fence from ya. ;)

Either way...there is your lesson on OK law for the day. I'll pick up a new Red Rhino tomorrow at 8am in Mounds, OK at GoBob.

I guess every combine and decent size tractor in OK is not legal to drive on the road. I refer to the DOT as the Gestapo. But I do buy 36k pound farm tags for our trucks. On a side note, the FBI was in our small town of Eastman checking trucks for running off road fuel. What the heck is the FBI doing checking pick up trucks for a fuel violation? And the irony of it is, it was the week before the killings in TN. Maybe they were told to get out of the way. IDK

Implements of husbandry have free passage. They don't get bothered at all....unless you are some jack-wagon, custom harvester from up north that thinks it is funny to run a machine down the highway with a header on it. And what most people don't understand is that "implements of husbandry of excess width and size HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY on the roads." That's the law. Sure we try to pull over and let vehicles around, but if you want to hold your line in the road...I will park in the middle and you can pound sand. LOL

My truck tag is due at the end of the month. I'm gonna price what it costs to up the registry. If it is much more than a hundred bucks, it is cheaper to just pay a ticket every few years.

It should be about safety. If someone is hauling a load that isn't safe....absolutely, put them out of service and fine their butts. But to write a law that requires us to comply to that bull schidt if we put ONE small square bale of hay on a dual tandem trailer and hit a highway is just asinine. The capital needs some bleach or at least a few good ol' boys that have a clue. If you exceed your axle ratings, or tire ratings, or have an unsecured load, or don't have proper lighting, or etc etc etc....fine.

Max width for hay trailer in this state was 11 ft wide. During the drought a few years ago, the governor increased the width to 12 ft wide for hay on the highway without a width permit (mainly for OTR truckers bringing in hay from out of state. The locals get a free pass on width due to farm tags). That allows us to run a dual inline trailer. I wouldn't think anyone would haul bales stacked on a flatbed trailer in that formation. Therefor the whole thing was asinine as well. Just proves they have not a flippin' clue what they are talking about. Why would they stack 5' x 6' bales like that when they can haul much more stacking traditionally?

Maybe I think to much. LOL

Nobody straps their hay around here to that extent. I strap the two on the back so the load doesn't move backwards and never strap the top unless your hauling two wide up.

J&D Cattle":1wtxnr0f said:
Nobody straps their hay around here to that extent. I strap the two on the back so the load doesn't move backwards and never strap the top unless your hauling two wide up.

I strap every top bale period. If I turn a corner or dodge to avoid an accident and one rolls off and crushes some car next to me and kills someone's kids.....I'm not going to the grave with that. Moving place to place on dirt roads, never. Pavement where other vehicles will be, absolutely.

I tried this once when I didn't have a full load to haul to get the width down so I could see better on the highway. Won't do this again. It was so not stable. I wasn't comfortable with the rocking back and forth. Too top heavy.

IMG_0666_zps52fcfd76.jpg

4x4dually":uor34ohi said:
J&D Cattle":uor34ohi said:

I strap every top bale period. If I turn a corner or dodge to avoid an accident and one rolls off and crushes some car next to me and kills someone's kids.....I'm not going to the grave with that. Moving place to place on dirt roads, never. Pavement where other vehicles will be, absolutely.

By the look of your first pic I'm not in as urban of setting as you are hauling through. Still probably wouldn't strap that way unless there was fear of a ticket. Farmers pretty well get a free pass around my part of MO. Your load would be safer no doubt though.

J&D Cattle":3v71ljs2 said:
By the look of your first pic I'm not in as urban of setting as you are hauling through. Still probably wouldn't strap that way unless there was fear of a ticket. Farmers pretty well get a free pass around my part of MO. Your load would be safer no doubt though.

True. I live 20 minutes west of town and was selling some to a guy here at work that lives 1 hr east of town. I just had it parked here at my day job until the end of the day. Stillwater, OK. Home of the Ok State University.....and 50,000 other people that have no clue to yield right of way for a trailer or stop short on corners so they can make the turns.

4x4dually":3ednv0we said:
J&D Cattle":3ednv0we said:

True. I live 20 minutes west of town and was selling some to a guy here at work that lives 1 hr east of town. I just had it parked here at my day job until the end of the day. Stillwater, OK. Home of the Ok State University.....and 50,000 other people that have no clue to yield right of way for a trailer or stop short on corners so they can make the turns.

Let us know how you like the Red Rhino.

Trailer in-tow. Headed back to de case after work here in Stilly. Pulls great unloaded...and will hold a nice line at 85 passing jack-wagons on two lane roads going 56 mph. While sending in the warranty registration I found out they are built by Great Plains Fabrication in KS and warrantied through them. GoBob's yard is not the fabrication facility....I was surprised and never thought to ask before.

http://greatplainsfab.com/

Welds look good, quality looks good, has a break-a-way kit, but the wiring leaves somethings to be desired.....however being an degreed electrical engineer of 18 yrs and having slight OCD I've never seen trailer wiring that I was thoroughly impressed with. I'll be replacing all the cheap arse "scotch locks" with barrel crimps and heat shrink before turning it over to paw-n-law. Using them on lights is one thing...using them on brake wires just make my blood boil. It should be illegal. Let's just smash 'em and put two wraps of tape on them and leave them out in the elements right next to a pair of open tires. :dunce: Everything got painted red except the front axle and front springs. Not sure why. Must have been 5:01pm on a Friday. They gave me a can of spray paint to cover it. :bs: Axles are Dexter and come out of Redneck in MO. They do provide literature with all the part numbers in case replacement parts are required which is nice.

I must be getting crotchety at my one year past the apex of the hill age. LOL

Haven't talk to paw-n-law yet to see how he likes it, but here are the electrical things that I just can't get over. Why build and sell a trailer for thousands of doll hairs and then skimp on safety equipment like lights and brakes with sub-par electrical asshattery?

That'll keep the water out.

IMG_5149_zpsqbaoioqm.jpg

Another retarded mess. And "yellow" is for "left turn".....a ground should be "white." :bang:

IMG_5152_zpsuelorsmy.jpg

IMG_5153_zps0tna2vke.jpg

Latest posts