Implants

Help Support CattleToday:

What are you considering using them on - steers, heifers, or both? Why are you considering using them?

Im in the learning steps still just want to know what tools I got if I need them but if I was gonna use them I would try them on both heifers and bulls

We ran a couple comparison pens a few years ago the unimplanted steers required a $5 cwt higher sale price to equal the implanted steers Revenue Per Head. People always ask how much more did the implanted steers weigh than unimplanted steers and honestly it isn't that easy. The longer you feed the steers the larger the difference in weights between the two sets. However that $5 cwt always seems to work out real close to the difference between the two sets when comparing the total revenue dollars per head regardless of slaughter weight.

Do implanted steers covert feed to lbs of beef better? Or is the conversion rate the same and the implanted steers just eat more feed?

VAStocker":35dlsnrm said:
http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/livestock/beef/baa07s02.html Check out this link it will help you out with any question you might have about implanting cattle with growth hormone.

Thanks
Good over view of impants
- Isaac V

rkm":8xwbp383 said:
Do implanted steers covert feed to lbs of beef better? Or is the conversion rate the same and the implanted steers just eat more feed?
Mine were fed same pounds of feed if I remember right implants ran 5.8 to 1 and the unimplants were 6.44 to 1.

VAStocker":7e1c6vi9 said:
http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/livestock/beef/baa07s02.html Check out this link it will help you out with any question you might have about implanting cattle with growth hormone.

Great site. We have always used Ralgro, but I see it is recommened for calves but not feeders. Any idea why?

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to implant heifers that might be retained for breeding. Also remember reading somewhere that some implants may affect carcass quality. Could be wrong on that, though.

Latest posts