Synovex? Implants?? First timer

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
I have 6 steers that are about 2 months. And another 15 that just hit the ground. I want to implant and sell the older 6 in November, I have never used implants. My question is which one is best? Calves are about 250-300 pounds now. Some are brangus x angus and some are full blooded herfords. Or should I just wean them and not implant and sell ALL calves February/March when I will make more money ? I have free grass alfalfa pasture November -March. And can supplement if needed.

Since you mentioned Synovex, you would be looking at using Synovex-C. That implant lasts between 50-75 Days. So you would want to implant at least 75 days before you sell them to capture the full dose of the implant. Do not implant heifers you plan on keeping to breed as it might reduce their conception rates.

When will you make more money- if you have FREE grass/alfalfa pasture I would be inclined to keep them (regardless of implant strategy). Your cost of gain would likely be much lower than the value of gain making you more money than if you sold them this fall.

As far as heifers . If I can get $1.80 500-600cwt with an implant and free pasture and sell in March. Would it be better to sell my hiefers and buy a replacement or a bred cow? 3rd stage commercial solid mouth cows are going for $750 Ish in my area. Thanks for advice

Lrj505":3tfvrs6f said:
As far as heifers . If I can get $1.80 500-600cwt with an implant and free pasture and sell in March. Would it be better to sell my hiefers and buy a replacement or a bred cow? 3rd stage commercial solid mouth cows are going for $750 Ish in my area. Thanks for advice
Where's your area?

South of Albuquerque. Major drought here cows are cheap

Lrj505":zrefkl0r said:
South of Albuquerque. Major drought here cows are cheap

Cows may be but calves sure ain't. 500-600 pound heifers @ $1.80 sounds dang good to me. I'd like to get in on a little of that.

Lrj505":145w6vdz said:

If you can get that price , than by all means swap them for bred cows. But in all honesty, that price seems unreasonable. You would be lucky to get that for steers.

http://belenlivestockauction.com/

It looks like you are getting .35LB above the best ones at Belen.

Well I admit those are good prices even though its not current. Probably pretty close to the same today. Your picking the best price of a 500- 550 for your your 500-600's. I would use about $1.60/lb minus freight and commission to do your math.

Are you hauling them yourself to Omaha? Thats a long trip. People think I'm nuts hauling to OKC

Yes I figure $250 a head more before diesel. 800 miles. I take at least 20 at a time.

Oklahoma City is only 6 hours from me. Maybe I should look there.

I'm have considering hauling mine west also when I sell calves. But how much weight will one lose in 6 hrs in a trailer?