Implants and Re-implants

Help Support CattleToday:

GusPeterson

Reaction score
I buy calves usually around 250-400 lbs and hit them all with a Ralgro implant on processing day. I'm finishing a few steers out some for my own family and a few for friends of ours, and I think I should hit them with another one. How long do they usually last? I know the feedlots I worked at would re implant, I just never paid enough attention to how long they'd wait after the first round.

You'd have to look at the specific product to see how long each lasts. I think there are certain ones more tailored for finishing cattle.. I don't think I'd trust myself enough to implant calves right before finishing. It can reduce marbling if you don't feed long enough. Feedlots are a lot better than me about knowing when a calf is ready for slaughter though.

Ralgro - 90 days, Synovex C -120 days, Synovex S - 120 days, Synovex H - 120 days, Revlor G - 100 days, Revlor G1 - 200 days, Compudose - 200 days, Encore - 400 days.
If the calves you are buying are close to 400lbs I'd skip the Ralgro and give them an Encore.
At a herd I manage we use Revlor G at spring turn out and then an Encore at weaning. Most of our cattle finish around 16 months old.
On my own calves I am going to try an Encore at turn out. There a little light, but there won't be the time laps between Ralgro and weaning. I really want to try Revlor G 1, but it's just to cashy for me. A box of a 100 is around $500. I only have 30 some str calves and I don't implant my hfrs.

SBMF 2015 said:
Ralgro - 90 days, Synovex C -120 days, Synovex S - 120 days, Synovex H - 120 days, Revlor G - 100 days, Revlor G1 - 200 days, Compudose - 200 days, Encore - 400 days.
If the calves you are buying are close to 400lbs I'd skip the Ralgro and give them an Encore.
At a herd I manage we use Revlor G at spring turn out and then an Encore at weaning. Most of our cattle finish around 16 months old.
On my own calves I am going to try an Encore at turn out. There a little light, but there won't be the time laps between Ralgro and weaning. I really want to try Revlor G 1, but it's just to cashy for me. A box of a 100 is around $500. I only have 30 some str calves and I don't implant my hfrs.

Do each of those require their own proprietary implant gun?

sstterry said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Ralgro is on its own. All Synovex implants use the same gun. Revlor and Finaplix are the same. Compudose and Encore are the same.

SBMF 2015 said:
sstterry said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Ralgro is on its own. All Synovex implants use the same gun. Revlor and Finaplix are the same. Compudose and Encore are the same.

Probably doesn't apply for Ralgro, but you can usually get the guns for free with the pricier implants. Ask your vet or a company rep.

Buck Randall said:
SBMF 2015 said:
sstterry said:

Probably doesn't apply for Ralgro, but you can usually get the guns for free with the pricier implants. Ask your vet or a company rep.

Yes, you are correct. Synovex has made 3 different guns that I know of. The plastic ones are junk. We went back to our 30 yr old steel one. The Compudose guns are the same way. My old ones work great. I haven't had to try a plastic one yet.

SBMF 2015 said:
Buck Randall said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Yes, you are correct. Synovex has made 3 different guns that I know of. The plastic ones are junk. We went back to out 30 yr old steel one. The Compudose guns are the same way. My old ones work great. I haven't had to try a plastic one yet.
I used the plastic Synovex revolver once. It jammed up before I got through the first reel of implants and I haven't picked it up since. They still make the good metal ones. I always make sure clients get those, because they'll give you plastic if you don't ask specifically for the good ones.

Latest posts