I'm calling it quits...

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms":1guo0odn said:
Cigarettes that is. Not a phony New Years Rez. Just calling it quits.

Anyone else done it lately?

Quit twenty years ago haven't touched one since.
I went to Skoal just traded one addiction for another.
The only plus is I can run up and down the hill all day long still as an old man.

Quit eighteen years ago....harder than giving up the sporting life.
Keep a constant watch for the urge to take one up....it only takes a heartbeat and youhave one in your mouth.
Reward yourself...you get to not smoke.
After awhile you'll be surprized at how many of your friends don't smoke, they just didn't hang out with you cause you did.

Nothing like a reformed smoker...tend to sound like a shady lady that got religion.

Good luck to you...DMc

Good luck on your quitting. You can buy nicotine gum online a lot cheaper than even Wal-Mart. With the price of cigarettes you might come out cheaper even if you stay on the gum the rest of your life. It would still be safer than smoking cigarettes. Also I heard about a new drug to help quit, you'd have to check with a doctor.

Joy in Texas":1slkxzpa said:
Crowder I wish you the best. I have smoked for 33 yrs. I have tried quitting several times. But I always failed. Since they went up a 1.00 more a pack. I will slow down alot more. It's hard I like my cigs with my coffee first thing in the morning. If I could stop that I could quit. But anyway we are here for ya.

just seen the price you said, you would definitely give up if you had to pay the price they are here, £4.99 for 20..that would be nearly $11. and that is the cheap brand. one more reason I'm glad I don't smoke.

Ryder":nkrwyduo said:
Crowderfarms":nkrwyduo said:
Ya'll are a great support group! I really appreciate the back up.I've often said these boards are like a big family, we have our ups ands downs, but are here for each other... THANKS EVERYONE! :lol:
I have read that ~38% of the people have a hard go of it. I was one of them. I hope you are not.

The way I did it was that I decided that I didn't smoke. I went from being a smoker to being a nonsmoker with that decision.
I didn't quit smoking because a nonsmoker doesn't have to quit. They don't smoke. This doesn't mean that I didn't want to smoke, I just didn't smoke.
Every time I wanted one, I told myself, "I don't smoke". So if you don't smoke, you don't smoke. I hope this makes sense.

The first three days were the worst. I did not get irritable, I got depressed. I was in grief because my best friend was gone forever.
If I had it to do over again I would try to get antidepressants to help with that part.

I also had to remind myself that I had known people who quit and went on to live normal lives. This gave me the hope I needed. Lo and behold, it did get better.

I did it and if I can do it then you or anyone else can do it.
A man (or woman) who can quit smoking can do anything.
They could probably even be the next president.

That is the part that I really hate still Ryder, I can smell much better. I found out the world in general does not smell nice.

I'm an ex-smoker also.

It's not easy, I used the gum. I just viewed it as a wrestling match, aint no cigarettes gonna whoop me.

Good luck!!

Gee Crowder...you helped me. I'm a 2-3 pk a day. Maybe some burn up in the ashtray. Yesterday I thought about you quitting and what all the rest had said. By the end of the day,after dinner and a shower. I had smoke less than a pack. Wow, I was kind of shocked. With coffee this morning was only 2, instead of a half a pack.
Yesterday while I was out building calf pens.I got to thinking about how much I spend on just cigs, before the price change 960.00 after the 1.00 more.....1550.00 a year more or less. Man I could buy a good cow,calves or something.
Thanks and good luck to ya

You can either quit on your own or be like my mother in law. She just had bypass surgery, mostly caused by the 60+ yrs of smoking. She smoked one pack of a carton right before her surgery, and that was before Thanksgiving, and hasnt touched the carton since. As a matter of fact, we watched her give the rest of the carton of Marlboro Lights to my wife's nephew on Christmas day. Says it hasnt been easy, but she doesnt ever want to go through the 2 weeks in the hospital again either, 8 days of which were spent in the ICU.

:D There is a new med out( script from dr.) called Varenicline
It blocks the nicotine effects and eases the withdrawel. I know
several folks taking it and they have quit smoking! :D
Hypnotism works IF you are really ready to quit and open to suggestion! ( no pun intended! :lol2: ) Select a target date
and find diversions to your usual routine. Smoke after eating?
Take a walk instead! :) Smoke while driving? Chew gum or
sing with the CD player! ;-) Stay out of " smoking" places
and hang in no smoking facilities. You can do it! It will take
willpower and fortitude but YOU CAN KICK IT IN THE BUTT!
Dont give up! ;-)

You can do it ol' boy! I understand there is a new flavor of that gum out that they say makes it a little more palatable (tasty). Sorry about using the big word on ya'.
I do agree - folks on here are really supportive, we're behind ya all the way. Keep us updated!

Crowderfarms":eu0thk3o said:
I'm about to get my mind right.

Tired of the cost.

Tired of the coughing at night.

Tired of sitting in the Smoking area.

Tired about worrying of running out of em'.

Tired of wondering when they'll kill me.

Tired of smelling like a incenerator.

I want to see my Kids grow up.

I agree. I am thinking about getting a prescription for chantix.
My husband started it a couple of days ago.
I've heard it works.

Horticattleman":26jw4lbu said:
Anybody have experiences with the patch? I'm thinking of using it.

Yup, didn;t work. Hypnosis, didn;t work, Aversion therapy, didn;t work Welbutron, didn't work. Open heart surgery, didn;t work. I'm sure there are others. If it's out there I've tried it.

dun

Horticattleman":2qgn7ovu said:

I tried the patch several years ago, and it worked to some degree.Makes you have vivid dreams in living color, (not a problem) and also gave me Heart Palpitations, and sent me to the E.R., Doc told me I was better off to smoke (found that hard to believe) guess cause he had a pack of Marlboro 100's in his pocket... I went on the 21mg. dose of the patch, and failed.Bought a Carton a day later. Tried Welbutrin, made my eyes feel like they were held open with toothpicks.

Day 2 Update: Morning is a the toughest time when that Community Coffee is ready in the Bunn. Yesterday I was bout' as mean as a 55 gallon drum of Rattlers. Went out and mixed Concrete for the pads for more Ritchie Waterers. Felt better exerting some bad energy out.

Day 3:Launched Cat off front porch for looking at me, went to work, and cut up with a few of loafers, got smoke blowed in my face and called a quitter.Felt kinda good. Temptation was there, butt I made it thru. Got home a little while ago, in one of the best moods I've been in for a long time. Helped my Son feed his 14 Hogs (long, long, story.) Life is good. PM me if you're thinking of quitting.

Horticattleman":3lqaylfd said:

It helped me with the physical withdrawal thing but didn't help with the emotional withdrawal. You've got to be really serious about quitting, which I wasn't. Know a couple of people who had an allergic skin reaction from them, so watch out for that.

smoked since i was stupid. quit every day,lol..was in a wreckin 2000 ,paralized from neck down. thankfully never wanted another.quit in 8 seconds. i want so much more than a smoke. what do you want?

Crowderfarms":6oba8hje said:
Horticattleman":6oba8hje said:

I tried the patch several years ago, and it worked to some degree.Makes you have vivid dreams in living color, (not a problem) and also gave me Heart Palpitations, and sent me to the E.R., Doc told me I was better off to smoke (found that hard to believe) guess cause he had a pack of Marlboro 100's in his pocket... I went on the 21mg. dose of the patch, and failed.Bought a Carton a day later. Tried Welbutrin, made my eyes feel like they were held open with toothpicks.

Day 2 Update: Morning is a the toughest time when that Community Coffee is ready in the Bunn. Yesterday I was bout' as mean as a 55 gallon drum of Rattlers. Went out and mixed Concrete for the pads for more Ritchie Waterers. Felt better exerting some bad energy out.

Day 3:Launched Cat off front porch for looking at me, went to work, and cut up with a few of loafers, got smoke blowed in my face and called a quitter.Felt kinda good. Temptation was there, butt I made it thru. Got home a little while ago, in one of the best moods I've been in for a long time. Helped my Son feed his 14 Hogs (long, long, story.) Life is good. PM me if you're thinking of quitting.

Crowder please let us know when it gets easier, until then I will refrain from any TN Jokes! Dad taught me a strong sense of self preservation. :lol:

Good Luck on the Quiting. Maybe it will help to use us like a Blog of your efforts.

Horticattleman":1js3pjsd said:

You might think about trying Smoke-Away. It's the closest I ever came to quitting, the only problem I had was the psychological addiction - which no aid is going to touch. I've tried the patch (multiple times) and it didn't do much for me, plus I experienced some fairly major burning at the application site. That's not to say you will have the same problems, just relaying what happened with me. Then there is also the factor that the patches are roughly $45/month (numerous areas), and Smoke-Away was $65 for 3 months - if I remember correctly. The only thing you have to watch out for is the first day, because you'll probably be a zombie so, if you decide to try it, please don't put yourself in danger.

Joy in Texas":1rabcnid said:
Crowder I wish you the best. I have smoked for 33 yrs. I have tried quitting several times. But I always failed. Since they went up a 1.00 more a pack. I will slow down alot more. It's hard I like my cigs with my coffee first thing in the morning. If I could stop that I could quit. But anyway we are here for ya.

Joy, have you tried delaying the first one of the morning, or reducing the amount you smoke with your morning coffee by one? I know I'm the last one who should be proposing things, especially since I can't seem to beat the addiction, either, but I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be possible to slowly cut down and wean yourself off those morning cigarettes one at a time over the space of a few weeks? Your thoughts?

Latest posts