I'm being a jerk

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
A man called me wanting some feeder steers. I have a couple. Checked prices from the sale barn and quoted them to him for that price. This simply means I don't have to haul them.

He came out. He started dickering. On and on. I simply smiled and told him I'd take my chances at the barn.

He has now called 6 times. The price has not changed. He is wearing me out. So last night I went up $100 on each steer. I am not going to meet him again, for the original price.

I am accustom to people who want you to take a loss on hay. Lock the gate and leave them on the road.

Are these people everywhere? Do they pull into gas stations and offer to pay half price for fuel?

An old man told me once that he wouldn't buy nothing from a man that wouldn't ju. I've done it both ways, price it higher so I can come down or price it for what I will take and hold right there. It seems if you price it and tell them that's it, then the bs seems to come to a halt a little quicker. But that's apparently doesn't work all the time. I'm no trader so my opinion doesn't count for much.
Personally, I probably would have priced them a little higher if they were worth it. The off-the-farm price, pre con'd, cut, etc. If he didn't like that he can buy them at the sale barn, IF they go.

Pricing them at sale barn price, as you did, saves you the hauling and the commission, but I wouldn't sell them for any less. Long before the 6th phone call I believe I'd have told him, firmly, that I'm not coming down and not to call back unless he's willing to pay my price.

I had a guy come out a few years ago to look at a group of heifers I had for sale. I had given him a price per head if he took the whole bunch. They were pretty uniform, but of course some were a little bit better than the others. He pointed out one of the best ones and said "I wish they were all like that one." I replied "Me too. Then the price would be higher." He paid my price without any more discussion.

backhoeboogie":1774mfl0 said:
A man called me wanting some feeder steers. I have a couple. Checked prices from the sale barn and quoted them to him for that price. This simply means I don't have to haul them.

He came out. He started dickering. On and on. I simply smiled and told him I'd take my chances at the barn.

He has now called 6 times. The price has not changed. He is wearing me out. So last night I went up $100 on each steer. I am not going to meet him again, for the original price.

I am accustom to people who want you to take a loss on hay. Lock the gate and leave them on the road.

Are these people everywhere? Do they pull into gas stations and offer to pay half price for fuel?

I took a negotiating class one time and one of the assignments was to negotiate at the gas station and surprisingly I was able to get 10cent off a gallon. When I buy something I know pretty close to what it is worth or what I would pay if they have it priced below market Im suspicious but will dicker some to make them feel better about it . in all business transactions your looking for a win win . Seller must be happy and buyer must be happy.

I've done it both ways too, but more and more I'm inclined to just set my price and hold to it. I've had them say to me too that they won't buy from anyone who won't dicker. That's perfectly fine with me, it saves us both some frustration. Some people like the game, on both sides. Not me. Dickering is for Arabs and cheapskates. When buying I'll try it if I don't really care if I get it or not. If I think it is a fair price and worth it I will pay the asking price, the same as I want to be treated. I've had sellers act surprised at that, and some even go down without me even asking. I've also been known to turn around and sell something cheaper to a kid or someone who I like or respect, for less than asking, after refusing to come down for someone who I already told no but who keeps trying. Apparently you're not being enough of a jerk if he called back 6 times. He knows that you're wavering. There is no 3rd call for me.

Rafter S":72rhm5hu said:
Pricing them at sale barn price, as you did, saves you the hauling and the commission, but I wouldn't sell them for any less. Long before the 6th phone call I believe I'd have told him, firmly, that I'm not coming down and not to call back unless he's willing to pay my price.

I had a guy come out a few years ago to look at a group of heifers I had for sale. I had given him a price per head if he took the whole bunch. They were pretty uniform, but of course some were a little bit better than the others. He pointed out one of the best ones and said "I wish they were all like that one." I replied "Me too. Then the price would be higher." He paid my price without any more discussion.
:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: good for you

Luca your words reminded me of something ten years ago. I was digging and selling patio stone. A lady I went to HS with called and asked if I could sell her some. No problem. Asked her how thick she wanted it.

Instead of just putting it all in the bucket, I held back the very best pieces of stone for her. It was all set aside. Special handling took extra time but I didn't mind much.

A rock mason came out and bought a bunch of building stone. He saw that patio stone set aside and wanted it. I told him it was promised already.

The gal came out and I priced it to her for my wholesale going rate. She got offended. So I apologized. I called that mason right there immediately. Right in front of her. Told him the stone was his if he wanted to come get it. The person it was promised to didn't want it.

She went to the store and saw their prices. About double. Then called me back. I told her it was gone. She wanted more. I apologized and told her it was simply too much work and special handling to do it all over again.

I don't like it either when people dicker around too long.. I don't have a problem with them making a counter offer, but once that's rejected either walk away or pay the price.. don't waste a guy's time.
When I deal, I usually just squarely ask what the bottom line on the item is and take it or leave it. Same fellow I bought my ATV from (for $100) also has a Case 350 dozer, hasn't run in a decade, reverser unit is dead and half dismantled... We got a good deal on the other stuff we bought from him, so I asked what he wanted, it didn't sound like he was going to waver from $4000... The identical unit with the same problem sold for $1000 at richie brothers, and in good working order they're 4-6K. I told him I couldn't pay that, and he ought to watch his repair bills if he ever wanted to break even on it.

Oh, and THIS is how you negotiate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB9c2ocJOx4

I have had lots of experience with folks with a lot of trade in them. No matter whether something is priced at very fair market value or not some folks try every way possible to get you to come down. I will sometimes price an animal higher than I intend to just because so many here are that way. And to be honest, as a result I have come to be a bit that way too, I figure if most everyone that I sell to does, I should be able to try it too. I am not often real successful though. I will say that in some instances, some livestock are priced significantly higher than market value, and their owners have no intentions of coming down. In those cases it is best not to try and deal with them, and in fact go to market to find something comparable.
This summer, I had to sell one of my bulls, that I had more money in than I should have, and had to replace him. I came across some bulls of another breed, that were priced more in line with what I wanted. When I went to look at them, the one that stood out was $300 higher. When I sell my Angus bulls they are registered, and have passed a BSE, and in most cases DNA tested free of recessive traits, and have genomic enhanced EPD's. Those bulls were not registered yet, and would not have had a BSE. I pointed that out, and tried to get them to knock off for the amount of a BSE. I talked to them a couple times as I was trying to learn about the breed and if it would be ok for what I wanted, and decided to take a chance on the bull, with the understanding that they would stand behind him. They were nice people and we had some good conversations, so I don't think in that case a couple calls were a bad thing. I think that now we can say that we met some good folks and have some friends as a result.

6 times would have the slammed phone breaking his eardrum. We do a little bit of dickering, but if I feel someone has priced something fair, I won't insult them by asking them to compromise. Most everyone will price things a little higher to give themselves some wiggle room, but some just say this is it period end of story. We priced a group of 450 wt steers to a guy we knew was looking to buy, they came out and looked at them. Price was $.25 more than what he had bought some for the day before at the market. We settled on .05 less than what we wanted but nearly .20 more than what he had paid. We delivered and paid the weigh tickets at the truck stop scales, they were close so not that big of a deal and he wants 15 to 20 more if we have them in the next 10 days at that same price. He is happy to not have to go buy stuff he doesn't know too much about, and right off the farm so less chance of picking up any disease, we are saving a little commission and getting a little more than what they would bring at the market. He also is willing to take the couple of red ones that are pretty nice, and we would have lost at least another $.25 on them at the market. If this works out he says he would like to have a chance to buy again next year. They buy in sept/oct and sell in the early summer at one of the graded sales. They try to raise 60-70 so might work out good for us. Not looking to lock in a price but to base it on the current market and then we got a bit more because he liked them. We have done some direct sales before, but not alot. Like getting the check the day the cattle are sold at the sale with no hassle. They wrote us a check when we gave them the weigh tickets right there, then sat and visited for an hour talking about people that we all knew. Nice evening.

backhoeboogie":leted3q2 said:

I figure a majority of people hope to negotiate. Going up on the price though just guaranteed the deal is dead which I assume is what you wanted. Rather than do that I'd just have told him no deal the first time he wanted me to go down and no need to call again. Personally I price things higher than my actual selling price knowing I have room to go down some. By going down a bit he leaves thinking he got the very best deal he could have negotiated and I get what I wanted for them all the time. Both parties are happy.

I sell a lot of breds and pairs each year, usually price them a couple hundred over what I absolutely have to have to leave room for the dickering. Have sold several groups when the buyers come out and look and say they look great we will take them with no negotiation. However, I try to keep my prices slightly lower than everyone else in my area, it blows my mind the there are some people still asking $2500 in my area for commercial bred heifers or cows. So you just never know.

When I see something that I want, I always ask what's the best price if I pay you cash right now. If I feel like it's fair price I'll buy, otherwise, I tell them thanks for the time and walk away. I don't want to waste your time or mine haggling over the price of something. That's why I buy a lot of things at auctions, set a limit and stick to it. And that goes weather your buying or selling.
Boggie, you should of told him something about your azz after the first call

TexasBred":2tabjtci said:
backhoeboogie":2tabjtci said:

I figure a majority of people hope to negotiate. Going up on the price though just guaranteed the deal is dead which I assume is what you wanted. Rather than do that I'd just have told him no deal the first time he wanted me to go down and no need to call again. Personally I price things higher than my actual selling price knowing I have room to go down some. By going down a bit he leaves thinking he got the very best deal he could have negotiated and I get what I wanted for them all the time. Both parties are happy.

I don't mind negotiating so much. But I was asking sale barn price. Why would anyone sell for less than what the sale barn would pay you? I said, "No deal" in no certain terms every time we talked. Absolutely no deal. Now its absolutely no deal for anything less than $100 more. He quit calling, so it seems.

A few people here in this forum have sold me stock thru the years. Not many. I don't think we ever dickered. I just paid what they asked. Or I didn't take it.

I like negotiating and such I generally price my jobs higher and anything I sell higher than what I want and let them feel like they talked me down and got a good deal.. Win Win for me.

Latest posts