IH 404 tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

BILL CLAYLAND

Reaction score
I got a IH 404 tractor recently.

I was wondering if anyone has or had one of these, I believe its a 70s model and around 40 hp gas.
Came with a nice quick hitch and bushhog.

It does need work, starts and drives, but you have to jam it in gear, I was told it needs a clutch.
Ill have to take a good look to see if it can be adjusted.

So, here we go again. Had to split an old kubota a few years ago.

Also anyone have a three point bale spear for large sq bales?
my round bale spear is a pain with large squares!! , I need to find one this year.

Bill

if it drags going into gear I'd think you ought to be able to get that adjusted, unless there's so much grease on the plates that's what's causing it to not release... Rust on the plates is another possiblity.

How does the clutch pedal feel? does it feel normal, just doesn't do anything? Does it have a 2 stage clutch for the PTO or is the PTO hydraulically engaged?
If the clutch feels normal, but doesn't disengage at all, my money would be on rust having bonded the discs together... Look for an inspection cover on it, perhaps you can take a look? I'd also wire down the clutch pedal and try and work it as hard as you can, perhaps you could free it with enough load. If it just drags, I'd look at adjustments and contamination of the plates, rear main seal and tranny input shaft seals being the most likely suspects.

I know the PITA of splitting tractors.. Our '84 IH 684 we got pre-split... the two halves were 40 miles away from each other, the rear half was 150 feet over a bank... After a lot of work we got a good tractor out of it though.

All good questions, it was delivered sitting on a trailer and still setting there.

Been busy replacing hoses on a FEL backhoe, when that's done I'll be able to get the IH off the trailer.

The clutch does feel normal when its in gear, but when you engage it, it grinds, that's what i remember when loading it.

If its hard to go into gear do not slam it if you have to cut the tractor off and place it in gear or idle down really low and see if that helps. Nesi is right does it have a clutch inspection on it? I am not familiar with that model.

*usually*, when the synchros are bad, it'll grind into gear unless you wait for the clutch to spin down.. they'll usually act like an unsynchronized tranny.

Can you stop the tractor in gear with the clutch in?

I'd pop the inspection plate open and have a looky-see, if you see any corrosion, wire down the clutch pedal and see if you can pry the clutch disc from the flywheel and/or pressure plate.. might have to turn the engine over a couple times in 1/4 turn increments to work your way around it.

I can give you these words of wisdom...Breaking a open platform tractor in half is a B.... Breaking a cabbed tractor in half is an even bigger one

We had our massey 165 in half.. a bit of a pain with the hydraulic lines, but the IH 684 was worse.. for one, all the lines were bent, stretched out, and/or broken, and I didn't know where any of them went. On a tractor like the IH 404, I don't forsee too much trouble, should only have a couple hydraulic lines, a couple wires, and a couple fuel lines... I'm sure a good day should get it apart and back together.

Just drive it a lot and things will probably loosen up especially if it has been sitting for a while. If you were able to drive it on the trailer without continuing over the front then things can't be too bad.
Ken

IH had a pretty crappy clutch, and tranny to start with. Could be a million different things on it, but try adjusting the clutch first, and driving it a lot.

Shush!!!
On our 684 the trannies are pretty bulletproof, though a little clunky to shift.. biggest gripe about ours is the +90% spacing between 2nd and 3rd.. 3rd is just way too big a gap.

Nesikep":138h778p said:
Shush!!!
On our 684 the trannies are pretty bulletproof, though a little clunky to shift.. biggest gripe about ours is the +90% spacing between 2nd and 3rd.. 3rd is just way too big a gap.

:lol2:
My 986 plenty of power and everything but if you dont take your time shifting gears get crossed and grinds like a MF going in gear Low and High that is and reverse is a MF

Those are good looking tractors. I would fix whatever was needed if the rest of the tractor is solid.

100_1103%20IH%20404%20won%20by%20Kathleen%20Carman.JPG

That is a nice tractor... looks like a row crop candidate. It's just a bit bigger than our Leyland 154.

Doesn't look like it would be too much of a problem to split and fix.

Wow, that looks great!

Lets say mine has a nice patina,,lol

Right now I have a L175 Kubota and it has a hard time handling the 4x4x7 square bales i have been getting
plus the kubota is an old diesel and it didn't like the polar vortex last year, so I'm hoping the IH 404 will be a good tractor for winter feeding. Plus maybe pull a lime/fert can.

Bill

Latest posts