IGR

Help Support CattleToday:

wacocowboy":2s9xjkio said:
I do pour on and IGR and still but it is a pain to pen them everytime the pour on wear off was wondering has anyone tried that Vetgun? I am scared I will spook them and they go run over every fence
We have a Vetgun and it does a good job for 2 - 4 weeks. Not a long term solution unless they have made advances with the vetcaps. You'll need to fire the vetgun around your cattle a few times to get them use to the sound of the gun. Then you can start with the cattle. We haven't had ours to run off when they are hit with the capsule. They will slightly jump but that's all. If you get one, just make sure you are in a good range to shoot the cattle so the capsule will burst. I have had a couple to bounce off and not burst due to being too far away.

kilroy60":1d8xc3k0 said:
wacocowboy":1d8xc3k0 said:
I do pour on and IGR and still but it is a pain to pen them everytime the pour on wear off was wondering has anyone tried that Vetgun? I am scared I will spook them and they go run over every fence
We have a Vetgun and it does a good job for 2 - 4 weeks. Not a long term solution unless they have made advances with the vetcaps. You'll need to fire the vetgun around your cattle a few times to get them use to the sound of the gun. Then you can start with the cattle. We haven't had ours to run off when they are hit with the capsule. They will slightly jump but that's all. If you get one, just make sure you are in a good range to shoot the cattle so the capsule will burst. I have had a couple to bounce off and not burst due to being too far away.

It is an interesting contraption. 2-4 weeks is about what I get out of spraying and pour on.

Any one use Rabon blocks for fly control? We have a strong mineral program already, so switching to Wind & Rain, for example, is not on the table. We do pour with Ultra Boss about once a month during fly season, so just wondering if the blocks would help at all. We don't generally have a huge fly problem, and haven't had pink eye in over a decade, but even with the cows out on pasture, we are worried about flies causing condition loss. It's been a very wet year so far up here...

Boot Jack Bulls":ldrwn94f said:
Any one use Rabon blocks for fly control? We have a strong mineral program already, so switching to Wind & Rain, for example, is not on the table. We do pour with Ultra Boss about once a month during fly season, so just wondering if the blocks would help at all. We don't generally have a huge fly problem, and haven't had pink eye in over a decade, but even with the cows out on pasture, we are worried about flies causing condition loss. It's been a very wet year so far up here...
Nothing wrong with Rabon. Been on the market for ages and works ok. Just easier and less expensive for most folks to adjust their mineral program a bit and use one with the IGR in it

TexasBred":22agxaow said:
Boot Jack Bulls":22agxaow said:
Nothing wrong with Rabon. Been on the market for ages and works ok. Just easier and less expensive for most folks to adjust their mineral program a bit and use one with the IGR in it
Thanks TB. We don't want to change mineral program at this time, so just looking for another way. We have used Rabon on the horses years ago, so just wondering...This is for our core group of registered Limi cows, so I'm not terribly concerned with a slightly higher expense (within reason of course).

We used IGR last year. We are trying the new VitaFerm Heat mineral this year (for fly control and help with Fescue). LOVE IT! Cows love it too. We also used the Long Range wormer for the first time several weeks ago. I can count on two hands how many flies are on each cow right now. I am amazed, and happy, with the results so far. We have yet to need to use a pour on or fly spray of any kind.

Boot Jack Bulls":1ar0i83e said:
TexasBred":1ar0i83e said:
Boot Jack Bulls":1ar0i83e said:
Thanks TB. We don't want to change mineral program at this time, so just looking for another way. We have used Rabon on the horses years ago, so just wondering...This is for our core group of registered Limi cows, so I'm not terribly concerned with a slightly higher expense (within reason of course).
BJ hopefully when you need it your current mineral supplier could take the same mineral you're now using and add the IGR or hte Rabon. Might add $3-4 dollars a bag to the cost but both work........unfortunately nothing gets all of the pesky rascals.

Dogs and Cows":8k2r7ftx said:
Firei Sweep...I am very interested in hearing about the VitaFerm Heat mineral. It sounds like you are very happy with it??
YES YES YES!!!! The cows on the Heat have almost NO flies.... our bulls we are raising to sell are not on Heat, and we brought them in today to weigh and they have more flies on them, enough that we sprayed them with some fly spray to help out. Both groups got the Long Range wormer this year, so the only difference is the Heat mineral. I am a firm believer of it now.

http://vitaferm.com/product-categories/ ... -products/

IGR is like everything else. It has to be done right and in a program with other products.
It helps tremendously if done right.
Use in a combination with sprays, pour on, ear tags, and back rubs.
Change chemistry during the summer too.
Tons of research on the net and some products can be purchased as generics for other uses and save a lot of money.

Latest posts